What to get.....462 or 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dealer is a good dealer and is shipping it in free of freight even though I missed his weekly or biweekly Stihl stock order. I also got a discount on the saw....over the years I have bought from him and he has always given me discounts on everything I buy regardless of brand.

I really want a Tsumura 24” in a .063 but since I can’t find one I just had them put the 25” Stihl bar on it in .063. If I could have located the 24” Tsumura I would have ordered saw with a Stihl 28”. Use the 28” only if I ever found wood that big.

Very few trees in the Midwest require a 90+cc saw, very rare to see them around here. The tree companies I've done work for use 70cc saws as their big saw. No reason to pick up a boat anchor if it's not required.

This is not to say I dislike 90cc saws, for bucking large rounds they sure are fun, but other than that they're just a waste and break the body down.[emoji111]

Just read through all four pages, and lots of good info in this thread. I am no pro, just a homeowner who likes good equipment. Gone through some saws over the years, and have landed on a 462. I have a feeling you are going to be very happy with it! As for bars, I run a 25 light on it, and it plays with it. I really think it would shine with a 28 light. Good luck patiently waiting for it, and post some pics up when you get it!

Not that you need to be convinced, but the 462 has gotten a lot of rave reviews. It sounds like Stihl designed the 462 like they did the 361. They made the model that much better than the preceding one. Here is one from Down Undah (where they have really frikkin' hard and dense wood):

From: https://www.hendersonmowers.com.au/news/post/5-stihl-ms-462-c-m-vs-stihl-ms-461-chainsaw/

Introduction:
One thing that sucks for Australian chainsaw enthusiast is that when a new chainsaw such as the Stihl MS 462 C-M is designed, manufactured and produced we are one of the last countries to receive it. Although, it is now that I bring great news! On the 31stof July four small boxes were delivered to the front door by a man with a white beard and a red suit, oh yes it felt like Christmas, it was the pre-release of the MS 462 C-M!

This saw has revolutionised the chainsaw industry in the 70cc class producing a chainsaw that has the best power-to-weight ratio in the market. The reason this release has been much anticipated by chainsaw users in Australia is because it will be replacing the much loved MS 461 which has built an enormous reputation on durability, power and reliability. Now that’s some big boots to fill. So we thought we would take the time to give you a direct comparison between the MS 461 and the all new MS 462 C-M based on our first impressions of the saw. This will draw on the features and specifications of the products from a neutral point of view, highlighting things you may love and also things you may not love. This will give you a greater understanding of the benefits of the saw, the reason for the higher RRP price and whether or not the MS 462 C-M is for you.

I will start you off with this quote. I attended a Stihl dealer meeting in rural Victoria where the MS 462 C-M was presented and displayed for us to see for the first time. The Stihl staff stated that the saw was given to selective foresters in Australia to test and trial. When returning to collect the saws one of the men stated that “the only way you will get this saw back off me is if you pry it out of my hands when I’m dead!”. That alone speaks volumes about this thing.

Designing the MS 462 C-M
The most damming thing about the new MS 462 C-M is its weight and manoeuvrability when compared to others in its class. This is all built around the newly designed flywheel. The newly designed flywheel reduces the gyroscopic forces at play meaning that when operating the MS 462 C-M during acceleration you’re not fighting the saw to keep it under control. This aspect has really made this saw a work of art and a pleasure to operate; reducing fatigue and increasing productivity as a result. A full list of features is available below: (please zoom in if using mobile)

The talking points: Separating the MS 462 C-M from the MS 461
Air filtration system:

The new HD2 air filter has a radial seal which locks into place ensuring nothing gets past the filter. This ensures the longevity of the saw and increases the service life of the engine. The MS 461 also features an HD2 filter although it does not have a radial seal lock like the MS 462 C-M meaning, according to Stihl, it does not seal quite as effectively. Watch the video below to see what I mean!

Stihl M-Tronic:

This is what probably sets the saws apart in terms of pure differences. The newly designed MS 462 C-M has Stihl patented M-Tronic technology on board. This is an electronically controlled engine management system that dictates the ignition timing and fuel metering to provide the optimum performance in all conditions with the saw taking-into-account altitude and fuel quality.

It adjusts the fuel/air mixture to the carburettor itself for all situations such as starting, idle and partial or full load. This allows you to accelerate the saw straight after a cold start to optimum revs, and with the saw carrying a memory, it remembers the conditions of your last settings so that when you start the saw again it will automatically reset to its previous state. Watch the video below for a move informative explanation.

Pro Light Rollomatic ES Bar:

The Stihl Rollomatic ES Bar comes standard on the Stihl MS 462 C-M, with the option to apply the traditional bar at a lower cost. The Rollomatic ES light bar has up to a massive 30% less weight than a traditional Stihl bar used on a MS 461. This definitely contributes to the manoeuvrability of the MS 462 C-M making it well balanced and easy to handle.

Fast Acceloration:

These added features on the MS 462 C-M imporve its acceleration to another level. The MS 462 C-M goes from 0 to 106 km/h in just 0.3 of a second, now thats fast. In comparison the older MS 461 does it in 0.7 seconds, meaning the MS 462 C-M more then halves that time. Now thats impressive!

The Verdict:
Obviously, the MS 462 C-M chainsaw is highly regarded as potentially the best saw ever made in the 70cc range taking over from its older version the MS 461. Its lightweight design and newly invented flywheel concept really separate this saw from others in its class. The MS 461 is still an extremely reliable saw and for some, they will not see the MS 462 C-M as a direct replacement for it. Personally, I see exactly where they are coming from. Although the MS 462 C-M is a great saw, for the average farmer the MS 461 is more suitable as they can self-tune the carburettor with no need for high tech Stihl technology on hand to reset the saw. In saying this, stricter emissions regulations have prompted electronic fuel management systems so that products relying on fuel consumption meet these regulations which are getting more restrictive with time. It is also important to note that the entry price is also substantially cheaper with the MS 461 in comparison to the MS 462 C-M making them slightly out of some consumers budget whilst the MS 461 is not. MS 461 RRP $1,749.00 inc. gst and the MS 462 C-M $1,959.00 inc. gst.

In conclusion, I believe the MS 462 C-M is an exceptional saw and will be loved by many people that purchase them. In saying that for the traditional farmer they may prefer to the MS 461 due to its simplicity and if that’s the case you better grab one off the shelf while you still can. Whichever chainsaw you purchase I can guarantee you will have it for an extremely long time and love either of them equally as I agree that they are so different that neither is really a direct replacement of the other. So head into your local Stihl dealer and get your hands on either the brand new MS 462 C-M or the older but much loved Stihl MS 461 Magnum.

Just a side note, Husquvarna has released a saw in response to the Stihl MS 462 C-M which is the 572XP Chainsaw. It's cc is the same although it doesn't weight anywhere near as light as the MS 462 C-M coming in at roughly 500-600 grams heavier.

If you don’t run a saw all the time the 660 will kick your butt. I run a saw almost daily this time of year. 2 cords a day. 95% of the time it’s one of my 2 440’s. I’m 6’3” and 330#. My 288 husky (competitor to 660) kicks my butt if I run it much (same size bar) . It’s forsale, too heavy. I do notice the extra power though in the dead mesquite over say 14”.

I’ve told my dealer to get me a 500 as soon as one is available. Sam’s probably gonna have a saw sale whenever that is!

With nothing but a 24" bar the 462 is absolutely perfect saw for that. Absolutely no reason for a 661 if that's the only bar it will wear.

Now, if you think down the road you might need bigger, then go for the 661, but I've run a 32" bar with a full comp chain on my 462 and although it's not perfect and you can't lean on it real hard, it cuts. Fell a couple very large burr oaks that required the 32 and got through it no problems. So with a 24" bar...this 462 would be a beast. It wears a 28" for me 99% of the time. I might get rid of that and get a 24" Tsmura bar for it though. Then I have my 18" on my 261, 24 and 32 on my 462. Handles everything I'll ever cut. If I start milling, I'll get a 661, 880 or something.

Now the fix for this debate between the 462 and the 661 is the 500i. The new miracle saw out in Europe. Due out in the USA at the end of the year. Maybe... never know with Stihl and new saw release dates. It was supposed to be available here by now.

MS500i power: 6.8 Bhp. weight: 13.7 lb. Vibration in m/s*s left/right: 4.2/4.0

The 500i is lighter than the 462, almost the power of a 661, and smoother than either. <---- THE WINNER. NO BRAINER. NO COMPARISON.

I got these numbers from the European and NZ web sites. The vibration numbers are not listed in the US.
Got to run the 500i sat. I was tickled to death to be the first one to run it. I didn't think 10 cc would make much of a difference.( bigger is better?:rolleyes:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=h-OfbhX4XqM

Late to the show...:p
I have an older 066M (dual port muff, flat top, red eye, 7.8hp stock) that just screams with a 24" bar and is fine with larger to 42". I used to cut all day/6days a week with it for many years back in the '90s with the 24".
I picked up a new 661 and sent it off to Brad for porting a couple yrs back figuring on upgrading.
Between the two the older saw is vastly superior with the smaller bar... and... the 661 is vastly superior with a 36-42".
IMO the 661 is designed for a larger bar...better torque figures than the older version. I keep a 28 on it most of the time now.

The 462 or 500i look to be your best candidates.

my .02

Back