Good 32:1 oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has to do with design and engine tuning more than how they're ran. Some oils at 32:1 will not burn completely, Motul 800 is a good example, even at 40:1 and 50:1 800 doesn't like to burn at the normal temperatures saws like to run. The best all around ratio is probably 40:1 but you can safely run 32:1 in everything if you like. I personally run 32:1 in my ported saws, blowers and trimmers get 50:1[emoji111]
40:1 in all my 2 stroke stuff never had a seize yet. One weed wacker did gum up a bit when a kid was running it at half speed all the time.

All this mathematics makes my head hurt (hurts anyway...)
avgas weighs 6.01 pounds per gallon. Pump up 15 pounds of avgas (fish scale) that's 2 1/2 gallons.
Dump in 8 ounces of 2C oil (Im about out of the 3rd 5 gallon pail from Baileys). Viola! Exactly 39.93 to 1
:sucks:
Did you really think anybody's saw is gonna throw a hissy fit on anything from 32:1 to 50:1 :chainsaw:

I am going to purchase a 5 gallon bucket of the Stihl Ultra when I empty this one. It's good oil, but why pay for packaging??

I’d rather not breathe leaded fumes

40:1 Honda HP2 in ever 2 stroke i own.

I agree but I still use AV fuel. Lots of stuff I’d rather not breath on this earth but it still happens unfortunately. I’d like to see a study done on the actual particles one might breath in from
Exhaust running AV fuel. I don’t see it being that much personally but I’m not scientist

And as a caveat I’m not arguing with you I’m just stationing my opinion and how I genuinely would like to see a study done on it.

And as a caveat I’m not arguing with you I’m just stationing my opinion and how I genuinely would like to see a study done on it.
On what lead poisoning? It's toxic to your nervous system, the man who invented leaded fuel became extremely ill due to exposure. When lead gets in your system it is highly toxic.

There are numerous studies that demonstrate the toxic effects of “leaded” fuels. You could read for days.

Having worked with some folks that had some of the more extreme issues from long term exposure, it is bad, really bad.

For instance, the area where the top off rag was kept in the overall pocket had no skin, just an open sore that needed to be covered with a bandage, a really big bandage, and yes you could see the bones, and it leaked 24/7. He lived a long time like this, was still a productive member of society, and tough.

For clarity, it does not take a lot of exposure all the time to accomplish this. It takes a wee little bit over time and the genetics to not just get the cancer and die.

and then there is the brain damage.

Leaded fuels are evil.

Negative I get that they are bad but I’m saying the quantitative amount in the air when run in a 2 stroke engine and what would actually go towards the user and he would breath in

Negative I get that they are bad but I’m saying the quantitative amount in the air when run in a 2 stroke engine and what would actually go towards the user and he would breath in
That's the thing my friend, it only takes a tiny amount and it never leaves your system. I ran leaded fuel in a saw for about 10 minutes once, that sweet sweet taste in your mouth, that's lead. Lead has a sweet taste and is why babies would eat lead paint chips. The white coating on exhaust outle, that's also lead.

Sorry I have to say it, and please take no offense. But the skepticism some have about hard facts, with decades of sound scientific information to back it up, amazes me. The earth is not flat.[emoji6][emoji111]

That's the thing my friend, it only takes a tiny amount and it never leaves your system. I ran leaded fuel in a saw for about 10 minutes once, that sweet sweet taste in your mouth, that's lead. Lead has a sweet taste and is why babies would eat lead paint chips. The white coating on exhaust outle, that's also lead.

Sorry I have to say it, and please take no offense. But the skepticism some have about hard facts, with decades of sound scientific information to back it up, amazes me. The earth is not flat.[emoji6][emoji111]

I know and I’m not taking offense because I know the dangers and I understand lead toxicity and all is bad. Don’t do drugs, drugs is bad... lol. Step back and read what I’m saying. I would like to see a study on the actual part per million or whatever. The actual air quality coming from a 2 stroke. I’m not denying it’s happening. I just want to see how much is actually in it. I said from the start I’m not arguing if it’s there I am trying to say I’d like to see how much, as in concentration amounts.

I know and I’m not taking offense because I know the dangers and I understand lead toxicity and all is bad. Don’t do drugs, drugs is bad... lol. Step back and read what I’m saying. I would like to see a study on the actual part per million or whatever. The actual air quality coming from a 2 stroke. I’m not denying it’s happening. I just want to see how much is actually in it. I said from the start I’m not arguing if it’s there I am trying to say I’d like to see how much, as in concentration amounts.
The problem is it builds up, so we want to avoid it as much as possible. When you can actually taste the lead, you've already elevated the amount in your body. What I'm saying is, it's known any amount of lead in the human body is bad news. We also know some are affected differently than others. With the fact we're exposed to so many toxic chemicals unknowingly every day, we have to avoid what we have control over.

Mmmm motul 800 yummy yummy. That's all I run in my mowers and saws if anything just for the smell haha. 32/1 I'm a vintage only saw guy I notice no fouling or I'll effects 40 would be good too but I like to be safe for my rocking horse poo cylinders.

Also the lead thing. 12 years ago I got shot in the side of the chest with an air rifle (long story) and anyway it went between ribs through my lung and now lives in my left ventricle heart muscle lol yup right in the middle. The docs say lead poisoning shouldn't be an issue but who knows F all I can do but carry on. No issue so far anyway

The problem is it builds up, so we want to avoid it as much as possible. When you can actually taste the lead, you've already elevated the amount in your body. What I'm saying is, it's known any amount of lead in the human body is bad news. We also know some are affected differently than others. With the fact we're exposed to so many toxic chemicals unknowingly every day, we have to avoid what we have control over.

Again i get it. Like I said don’t do drugs, drugs is bad. Avoiding it altogether is the best course. But I’d like to know how much particulate is actually in the air. I’m tired of saying it over and over again and won’t anymore lol. I agree it’s not good for your health if you can avoid it, then do it.

Another oil thread.

I was running everything on two stroke husky oil at about 38:1 since 1980. Never lost a saw. In the past I always stuck with the manufacturers oil.

There are different oils. The maxima super M is for nickasil cylinders, the maxima 927 is for steel/castiron cylinder liners. Research the oil before using it.

Lead is accumulative, it builds up in your body. You do excrete lead too, through urine & hair. But that doesn't mean its not bad because you excrete it, it depends too on exposure. I'd avoid lead exposure whenever possible, its no good for you. As far as using leaded fuels...well if you think your saw is more important than your health go for it, but its not necessary the unleaded fuel will work absolutely fine. Your saw doesn't 'need' lead, it also don't need that higher octane. AV gas has some benefits but the lead factor outweighs any potential positives.

Good point but at 69 yo a 12 year prostate cancer survivor I don’t worry anymore about anything. I’m a do not resuscitate candidate (DNR)

As of today,

Prostate cancer in remission
Bladder is being botoxed because the radiation cooked it.
One kidney is full of stones, the other is operating at 90%.
Three bulging discs from lifting 400 lb machine parts.
Spinal stenosis.
Two bad knees
Bad right hip
Diabetic

Too old to operate.

I’m ok I’m making a comeback after a bad fall. The nurses and therapist from a local hospital are fixing me up.

Mmmm motul 800 yummy yummy. That's all I run in my mowers and saws if anything just for the smell haha. 32/1 I'm a vintage only saw guy I notice no fouling or I'll effects 40 would be good too but I like to be safe for my rocking horse poo cylinders.

Also the lead thing. 12 years ago I got shot in the side of the chest with an air rifle (long story) and anyway it went between ribs through my lung and now lives in my left ventricle heart muscle lol yup right in the middle. The docs say lead poisoning shouldn't be an issue but who knows F all I can do but carry on. No issue so far anyway
That shouldn't harm you much it's a solid chunk. It's normall the small amounts that get absorbed through the skin, but mostly what you ingest that causes poisoning.

Motul 800 has really high film strength and a high flashpoint. 40:1 is overkill in a saw let alone 32:1 won't cause damage, but it will robb some power and not burn completely. It's a phenomenal product though.

Lead is accumulative, it builds up in your body. You do excrete lead too, through urine & hair. But that doesn't mean its not bad because you excrete it, it depends too on exposure. I'd avoid lead exposure whenever possible, its no good for you. As far as using leaded fuels...well if you think your saw is more important than your health go for it, but its not necessary the unleaded fuel will work absolutely fine. Your saw doesn't 'need' lead, it also don't need that higher octane. AV gas has some benefits but the lead factor outweighs any potential positives.
I believe when lead makes it's way onto your brain it like to stay there, aluminum as well.

Back