Small limb/clearing saw suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been toying around with adding a small 30cc ish saw to do some clearing and small ground limbing (no tree climbing for me.) Don't think a top handle is needed but looking for suggestions and only want a PRO grade saw regardless of brand. That being said Stihl is what my other saws are and my next biggest saw would be a 50cc saw. Figure 12/14" bar but prefer the smaller 12" for this task I think. Looking for advice.

Personally I would go for something like a ECHO CS-400 with an 18 in. bar. The reason for the 18in. bar is for reach so I don't have to climb all up in the limbs to limb the tree. Also gives you some distance if you cut a springer. Bar is also big enough to handle other task. If you want something a little smaller the cs-352 with a 16in. bar would be just a little lighter and have the power you need. I suggest these two because the price is right and the ECHO saws are first class in smaller saws. The ECHO CS-400 has advantage over the cs-352, is only 1# heaver has a metal chain catcher, has metal Bucking Spike, and adjustable oilier, and a 40cc power plant under the hood with a first class air filter. Both can be had at under 10# (without bar) and you can put a smaller bar on them if you like. ECHO advertises them as a PRO class saws and they are close to what others offer in size for the PRO class, and for a whole lot less green.

My 50cc is a 261 and looking for something on the small side. The 201CM looks good and some of the Echo's listed. How does Husky compare in this size range to Echo and Stihl.

What are the thoughts on the 201 cm? It’s seems smaller and lighter than the 241. In my opinion the 241 is very close to the 261.

What are the thoughts on the 201 cm? It’s seems smaller and lighter than the 241. In my opinion the 241 is very close to the 261.

I have a 201cem (the rear handle 201c). It's a joy. Lightweight, great balance, and enough power for its purpose. I use mine with a 16" bar, and it's a very effective limbing and brush saw. Just eats up the small stuff without taxing you.

Funny enough, whenever I go help out buddies or family, that's the saw everyone is fighting over.

I have both a 241 and a 200t. I find in many cases, I reach for the 200t first if i'm doing smaller stuff, but I like the 241 for stuff over 6". What seems to be a higher chain speed on the 200t makes doing smaller stuff much easier.

Call around, you might find an on the shelf ms200 rear handle hiding around.

I have a rear handle 201...and a 150...good saws for sure. If I was the OP, I'd get much mits on the newly released 2511tes rear handle. These little rear handle top handles take light weight to a new level. The difference in weight between a standard 40 or 50cc pro saw is huge. They are like half the weight or less.

I have a rear handle 201...and a 150...good saws for sure. If I was the OP, I'd get much mits on the newly released 2511tes rear handle. These little rear handle top handles take light weight to a new level. The difference in weight between a standard 40 or 50cc pro saw is huge. They are like half the weight or less.
For a 12" bar, I agree. I use a 14 on my 2511T for ground work and it is fine. Not nearly as fast as the Echo 361P for large limbs though.

No real reason to run a 12" on a Echo CS-361P or a Stihl MS201CEM. I run a 14" on my 361P, but it's fast enough to run a 16.

I use my hunting bone saw.

718qrnSd8-L._SL1500_.jpg

Back