My mailbox tree fell over. Is it worth anything?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This tree blew over the other day and I cleaned up the part in the grass. Idk what it is but I know it's not ash. I'm cutting a ton of ash right now and have lots of wood. Is this worth my time to cut up? Basswood?
20191029_174756.jpg

20191029_174800.jpg

20191029_174828.jpg

20191029_174816.jpg

20191029_174854.jpg

I guess I never said y it was a mailbox tree. It has had the mailbox in the picture sticking out of it ever since I moved in 7 years ago. Always looked just as dead but had leaves on it. I'll cut it up this winter with a poulan when I'm trying to find any excuse to do something outside in the snow.

Box elder.

Splits easy. Kinda soft. In the maple family. We have a ton of it around me. I don’t mind burning it but a lot of people around here think it’s worthless.

Box elder.

Splits easy. Kinda soft. In the maple family. We have a ton of it around me. I don’t mind burning it but a lot of people around here think it’s worthless.

It is wood and thus produces heat when it burns. If it needs to be cleaned up around my place, it goes through the stove.

Had one blow down in my yard, The limbs break very easy and the wood is very light in weight and rots very quickly. It is a good starter wood or for short fires that don't throw much heat. Burns fast and leaves a lot of ash. Cuts and splits very easy. It will burn green as well and dry's fast after it's cut. It's also a very soft wood.

Cut up theres only like 10 pieces so it will get mixed in. Had it have all fallen in the yard it would be cut and stacked already and I wouldn't be asking. I noticed it was soft when I cut up the one branch which is y I didnt bother cutting more. I already have a stack of poplar logs that came down with an ash tree.

Been running the boiler last few weeks on box elder. Got a couple more weeks left. Split it and put it in your stacks. Rots in a couple years if left on the ground and stinks. Other than that it burns fine. It's a hard wood maple. Just not that hard.

My only gripe for BE is it smells bad when being burned until the bark is burned up. Coals (not many) smell good though.

If left with any moisture, borer bugs love to get under the bark.

Back