Granberg sharpener problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Nowell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
really annoying
When I do a 180 to spin the unit around to do the other side of the chain, the height changes and the teeth either file higher or lower than the other side....

I don’t use this device anymore, the manual one that is, I find I do a better job by hand. However the electric on for a 36” chain intrigues me as it would save a huge amount of time. I am however afraid of the same issue.
What am I doing wrong? Has someone else found this to be an issue?

I used to adjust for each side individually when flipping the jig around. Worked for me. I'd also rest the base of the guide on the vise when clamping the bar in. Kept it from working its way downward when applying any degree of pressure to the cheesy little thumb screw for the clamp.

Have a grinder and file by hand now, but the Granberg was a great learning tool for me.

Well I'll be honest I don't have that much experience, and I haven't tried the Granberg.
But what I have experienced with cheaper units both a file guide and also an electrical (not the one I made myself), is that it is wise to "always" check the alignments and end-stop each time you switch side.
Basically that is to go through the whole setup routine again.

I think probably with such as the pro electrical ones at the very top of the shelf you might be able to just flip it to the other side, but probably still wise to do the double check.

A high precision alternative is the Timberline tungsten carbide file/circular grinder manual sharpener.

DON'T START WITH YOUR MOST PRECIOUS CHAIN !!!

Thx guys, I have a feeling that it was different degrees of pressure that caused it to go out. Would be nice to actually have a couple holes drilled in the bar to match up with the guide. That way every time it is installed it’s in the exact same position...

Maybe next year :)
Thx again

The Granberg works great with good lighting and a magnifying glass......once set, it holds.

I stopped using a Granberg sharpener nine years ago after I acquired my Oregon 511A.
Yes there is that option, probably the best option... I saw this cause the way I see it is this
Invested in granberg sharpener 80$
Invest in granberg electric sharpener 120$
Invest in a batter for it 50$

Or just start saving money for a real sharpener such as the Oregon.

Thx again for the replies :)

Yes there is that option, probably the best option... I saw this cause the way I see it is this
Invested in granberg sharpener 80$
Invest in granberg electric sharpener 120$
Invest in a batter for it 50$

Or just start saving money for a real sharpener such as the Oregon.

Thx again for the replies :)
Because the Granberg operates on a 12 v battery, I thought about using it as a field machine. But, it's still easier to carry an extra sharp chain or two there and change out the dull one. I must admit, however, that I used a Granberg for at least seven years.

I found the Granberg to be an excellent aid in learning the important fine points needed to effectively file a chain freehand. It also lends itself to aiding the fundamental understanding of how one should approach using a professional chain grinder. It's also a pretty good tool all by itself once you get the hang of it. Just a little awkward to set up at first, but provides very good (and repeatable) results with a good file.

Sure as hell didn't pay $80 for mine, though! I think it was $27. The base broke after a year or so and when I called Granberg for the replacement part they just sent me a whole new File-n-Joint free of charge.

And as mentioned, resting the guide on the vise that is presumably clamping the bar stabilizes the base of the guide from moving and provides a sturdy platform for filing without worrying about over-tightening the thumb screw to keep the guide from slipping around. It was a whole new experience when I figured that out.

Back