Safe max rpm on a stock 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What would that # be? I have it tuned to roughly 13,600 and it will still 4-stroke quite a bit.

Also what is a safe max rpm on a ms250.

Both saws have a mm and I run 89 octane at 36:1 with stihl ultra.

l'd just worry about tuning the saw right rather than chasing a general recommended number for a stock saw. If it cleans up under load and is tuned to 13,600 well thats great, if it is still four stroking in the cut well lean it out till you get it right. Max rpm no load for one saw will normally always be differant for another. Stihl advertises their specs, l'd just tune the saw right and what ever max rpm will be, will be.

do you have any pictures of the muf mod on the 250 or could the post drawings or explain what you did , and did you change the carby or modify it at all
thankyou for any help you might provide

Yep- the manual calls for 13.5k on the 044/440 but my experience has been that they like the high just above that, if you're running high quality mix.
Yup, i agree.
I have an early 12mm 044 that strokes hard at 13.5.....if it tune it by ear and check it with my tach its closer to 14-14.5. It's well broken in and thats where its happy.

Yup, i agree.
I have an early 12mm 044 that strokes hard at 13.5.....if it tune it by ear and check it with my tach its closer to 14-14.5. It's well broken in and thats where its happy.

....and that will have chips flying high! Just listen for the safety of the four stroke :)

I would not recommend doing a mod like this, it is a large hole for a 250. Also this saw is only used for limbing, if bucking very dry dead wood it's possible to catch the log on fire on longer cuts. Even though the screen is still in place.image.jpg image.jpg

Yup, i agree.
I just picked up a early 12mm 044 and its deff used , and i dont know much about saws or how to tune them even though i have a few , i never had to tune one before , my question is , this 044 seems like it's lagging power big time , i have a 029 super that seems to sound better and cut faster , when tuning , and i have no tach , what should i listen for ? Is there any way just to set the screws like some other i have seen on here saw? 1 and a half turns out and a set onbthe hl or do you have to have a tach or a good ear?

Attachments

• 1007191506b.jpg
    1007191506b.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
I just picked up a early 12mm 044 and its deff used , and i dont know much about saws or how to tune them even though i have a few , i never had to tune one before , my question is , this 044 seems like it's lagging power big time , i have a 029 super that seems to sound better and cut faster , when tuning , and i have no tach , what should i listen for ? Is there any way just to set the screws like some other i have seen on here saw? 1 and a half turns out and a set onbthe hl or do you have to have a tach or a good ear?
You’ll have to watch a bunch of YouTube and listen to guys tuning them. If your not comfortable there. Just open or close the high screw 1/4 turn at a time and make a cut each time. If it gets stronger keep going. You could always take it to a dealer and let them, it doesn’t cost much if you take it in with a clean air filter ready for them to tune.

You’ll have to watch a bunch of YouTube and listen to guys tuning them. If your not comfortable there. Just open or close the high screw 1/4 turn at a time and make a cut each time.

1/4 turn adjustment if near optimal setting is not a good recommendation, it very well may not make it through that next cut.

Back