Winterproofing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Der Teufel der lacht nur dazu! HA HA HA HA HA!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Okay, so CAD has left me with too many chainsaws to use regularly and I must put some (well, a lot) away for winter.

I want to clean them down good before doing so.

What's a good way to clean fuel and oil filters out?

Dump the old fuel out.and get some of stihls premix in a can and run them a few minutes.i seen and heard this stuff easily will last a year with out going bad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This is what I have done in the past. I start the saws, run the pump gas out of them, fill them with Trufuel or Motomix and start them back up. I let them idle for a few minutes and back on the shelf they go.

I have also just ran the fuel dry in one and throw it on the shelf. I'm not sure which method is better but both seem to have worked okay for me?

YMMV...

I never run one dry. I just dump them if they’ve sat awhile. Then add new fuel. They usually start and run. I use oil w stabilizers it seems to work. I figure the little bit of dryer up gas in the carb when you run one dry may be worse than old fuel left in it. I’m not sure if this is right or wrong just my way

Ethanol free 90+ octane fuel. Quality oil already allegedly has a stabilizer in it. Shut it down hot. Fill the fuel tank to the brim. So full it overflows when you put the cap on. Should be good to go for a minimum of 6 months. Wouldn't even dump the fuel out when you went to use it again, just run it. I don't think the fuel will have varnished or gummed up anything by then or turned. Fuel lasts quite awhile if not subject to oxygen and condensation. No ethanol is key.

On the other hand if you ran it dry everything is sitting there not submerged in fuel. and Stihl actually recommends storing dry. But not sure if it's to cover their ass from people storing with half tank of ethanol fuel.

Questions to consider:
Is the fuel line going to last longer sitting dry and empty? Or last longer submerged in fuel/pressurized with fuel up to the carb?
Is the metering diaphragm going to dry up and become crunchy not sitting in fuel/oil?
Is the diaphragm going to deteriorate faster sitting in fuel?

Ultimately I think some brunette C hairs are getting split one way or the other whichever way you go...as long as storing wet involves quality stabilized fuel full to the brim.

Questions to consider:
Is the fuel line going to last longer sitting dry and empty? Or last longer submerged in fuel/pressurized with fuel up to the carb?
Is the metering diaphragm going to dry up and become crunchy not sitting in fuel/oil?
Is the diaphragm going to deteriorate faster sitting in fuel?

Even if you run the saw "dry," seems like there's still gonna be enough residual oil on these things to prevent dry rot or whatever. They'll still be wet.

Latest posts

Back