Converting pole barn into wood storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We have an old pole barn where cows way lay at on a dairy farm, don't use it for cows anymore since we quit milking so been working on using it for firewood storage. The aisle way is concrete but the stall part is just sawdust with dirt below that. I leveled it off and have pallets down.

I need to get some pics of this posted up, be easier to see and explain. But on the ends, been working on making a wall to stack against on the ends. We have something called duraplate, main use of that is for walls of semi trailers, that we don't use anymore, used to line the milking barn walls with it to make it easier to clean. Got thinking if that would be strong enough to hold the wood. Not sure how much weight this stuff is rated for.

There is about 6-8 foot span between the posts where I would attach the duraplate. With no support in that span, wondered if duraplate would hold up to the weight. I know I could just use boards, which I already have done on part of it. Maybe I am crazy and overthinking this but wondered if this stuff would work for this. The first section is about 15ft long, 6-8ft deep.

On this one side, I have about 70ft or so but have some of it sectioned of for working on and stacking bundles of wood and stacking ricks of wood. And where that white piece is now is not where I was planning on putting it.

Attachments

• IMG_20191030_150339538.jpg
    IMG_20191030_150339538.jpg
    832.2 KB · Views: 60
Years ago I worked on a lot of semi trailers vans a reefers we used a lot of different product on the interiors wood, fiberglass, plastic and aluminum non were heavy enough to span that length and hold fire wood up. I converted a old open front cattle shed that was a pole shed and just lined it with old barn framing wood I had around some were 2x4 some 2x6 some 2x8 and some 2x12. Drove T post in to hold ends of stacks up.

You will need more wall studs to displace the weight of the stack pressing against the wall if you are going to just use duraplate. It is going to bend eventually with no support behind it. If the floor is sawdust/dirt drive T post, as Rancher said, next to the wall and start stacking on the pallets.

I've resorted to cribbing the ends of my stacks to control the weight against the "bookends". It's not really that much trouble since it doesn't have to be done as carefully as free-standing cribbing.

This one was vertical when stacked, the tee posts may not survive
WP_20191020_16_43_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20190729_11_44_48_Pro.jpg

In your case, I would be concerned about putting very much weight against that wall. The stud spacing suggests it wouldn't hold much.

Just to be clear, where that plate is sitting at in the pic is not the wall I was thinking of putting it on. I am talking about the end of the left side. I already have boards on the top half of it and have t-posts on the bottom part. Maybe I am just overthinking it but maybe better to just use boards all the way to the bottom instead of t-posts and pallets. Like some of you said and after thinking about this, I don't think that duraplate will hold up to the weight without any support behind it. Some things I can get a little OCD about lol

Latest posts

Back