Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this has probably already been discussed in this thread before but I guess I just couldn’t find the right combination of words for it to come up through a search. What is the best way to remove the crank seals in a 3400? I did a pressure test and it held over 7 psi no problem. As soon as I try to pull a vacuum on it the gauge immediately drops. I haven’t tried squirting the soapy water on it yet. Just ran out of time and I’ll try that tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s something simple like the cylinder base gasket. It’s currently a gasket that I made but isn’t the best because I don’t have hollow punches to make the bolt holes. I have a new one now that I’m gonna try before anything else. I’m hoping it’s not the seals but wanted to know the best way to remove them regardless. Is it really that common for a saw to hold pressure so well and then be so drastically opposite when pulling a vacuum?

Joseph Huckabaa
I just drill a small hole and use a sheet rock screw and vice grips and pop the seals right out.

Steve Sidwell

So someone post some links to the fast 3400 ,might be a fun winter project. Can't be any harder than a 60 pound steam engine from scratch maybe easier cuz only one cylinder and you can find the p and c

I can't post them because there on "the dark side" O,,P,,E. But.. search up poulan 3400 3700 4000 stroked crank.

It's a hell of a project. Maybe he would be interested in sharing some numbers and dimensions.

What saws are running 56mm bore or bigger. I don't think it would be difficult to build. Just have to get the math correct. Numbers all have to add up right, then it will bolt together. What carb is running on a 100+ cc saw that is easy to work on.
I'm limited on the saws that I know anything about

Back