Need arborist license to purchase new husky saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was training a hired hand a few years ago. Was limbing on a 40 acre job we were wrapping up.
Some of the logs were crossed up a bit and had been sitting in piles a while.

First cut I make, top sails right into my ankles and runs right up my shins and into my knees. About wipes me off my feet.

"See.. right there I was showing what will happen if you do it wrong... I'll be right back.

I went and hid behind the excavator to do some WOOSAAWWWW, cause I was on the verge of blacking out haha.

Ripped the skin right off the shins and I had 3 layers on! I had to wrap it up, the long johns kept fusing to it and that hurt when i moved enough that it ripped free.

I have a state accreditation for forestry it’s X amount of hours of basic forestry classes and X amount of hours per year to keep or hold this accreditation, it’s also required by almost all mills here to even sell logs to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a state accreditation for forestry it’s X amount of hours of basic forestry classes and X amount of hours per year to keep or hold this accreditation, it’s also required by almost all mills here to even sell logs to them.

No such thing as that here. There are 1 or 2 training courses for heavy equipment, but nothing for logging.

We buys logs from whoever, don't need anything.

No such thing as that here. There are 1 or 2 training courses for heavy equipment, but nothing for logging.

Oregon, Washington, California, Idaho all have accredited loggers which will have meeting on the changes to the forest practices and all of which pertain to SFI. You guys have AFA up there it’s pretty close to our AOL.

Yeah, small saws (or rather small bars) kick way faster.

I think it's a combination of speed and the point of balance being moved closer to the handle.
Notice how your 36 inch bar dips towards the ground when you hold the saw loosely by the handle bar? This is because the point of balance has been moved closer to the nose of the bar. So when the saw kicks it doesnt travel as far because the fulcrum point (your left hand in other words) is not in the same place as the point of balance.

Now compare that to the kick you get from the same saw with a shorter bar that is perfectly balanced. The point of balance is now much much closer to the fulcrum point, so when the saw kicks your left hand becomes a swivel.

When a friend of mine (who had only run an electric chainsaw) borrowed my saw once, that's exactly what I told him...didn't want him to feel like I was "talking down" to him, so I made it quick and clear, showing him exactly how (and where) the saw would kick back if he touched the tip to something...
Very good idea, a demonstration Imo speaks louder than words!!

my sons buddy walked into a husky dealer in his area and went to purchase a new husky 390xp. The salesmen said he needed a arborists license to purchase this saw. Ever hear to this?
He finally purchased the saw after a hassle.

I wish the dealer was closeby I would go there and cut him a new one.

He's just doing he's job, a good worker just doing what he's told to do.
I was a bus driver for some years, you could see them at the stop before they got in - the people that just needed someone easily accessible to blame all their unhappiness on to.
I quickly learned the reply that puncture's the balloon - "that's just the way it is". Works every time.

The salesmen said he needed a arborists license to purchase this saw.
He finally purchased the saw after a hassle.

Maybe it's just a reverse-psychology sales technique. You know, like:
"Sorry, son, this gun isn't for you ... only a former Navy SEAL could handle a gun like this! Definitely not for weekend warriors. In fact, some states require you to have a license to even look at a gun like this."
"Oh, yeah, well I'll show you! Wrap it up."
"You look like you're pretty squared away, so I'll make an exception this time, but don't tell anybody. That'll be $979.50"

"Look, dude. I'm going out on a limb for you. If my boss found out I was even showing you this saw, I'd be fired. But he's on his lunch break, and you look like you know your way around a chainsaw, so I'm gonna make an exception here..."

This only pertains to Mills that want a chain of custody on the wood and also want to assure everything is done as correctly as possible. Things like BMP and Safety training. Usually the larger the mill the more important this is due to public opinion and what. An happen in huge PR campaigns for or against them, esp if the right enviro hippy gets ahold of them. Smaller Mills usually are less concerned with this. And when I say small , I'm not talking about two guys and a circle mill. This can still be laser computer guided state of the art Mills that supply big box stores and have hundreds of employees even. There just not the big boys like GP, IP, West Fraiser, Canfor etc.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just a reverse-psychology sales technique.

There's also the principle of "scarcity = value." As soon as you start telling people that they can't have something – or that it's going to get very difficult to obtain an item soon – they will want it NOW...which is why as soon as politicians start talking about banning guns, gun sales go through the roof...

"Normally you need a license to buy a saw of THIS caliber, but I'll make an exception if you buy it today..."

The kid ( my sons buddy) knows nothing about sizes of chains or chisel, semi chisel, Skip, full Skip. He ran my sons 460/570 before. I think he put a standard 3/8” chisel on a 390 Xp with a 36” bar. He needs a semi chisel skip chain. I’ll have to question that.

My dealer in southbury,ct would of hooked him up right. I have no clue why they didnt go there. I been going there since 1980.

Oregon, Washington, California, Idaho all have accredited loggers which will have meeting on the changes to the forest practices and all of which pertain to SFI. You guys have AFA up there it’s pretty close to our AOL.

That's SE AK though, it's only about 1700 miles from us here haha! May as well just cut that part off and give it to BC, it's that far away!

This only pertains to Mills that want a chain of custody on the wood and also want to assure everything is done as correctly as possible. Things like BMP and Safety training. Usually the larger the mill the more important this is due to public opinion and what. An happen in huge PR campaigns for or against them, esp if the right enviro hippy gets ahold of them. Smaller Mills usually are less concerned with this. And when I say small , I'm not talking about two guys and a circle mill. This can still be laser computer guided state of the art Mills that supply big box stores and have hundreds of employees even. There just not the big boys like GP, IP, West Fraiser, Canfor etc.

I'll have to ask my Dad how they did it at the mill he worked at. He retired about 2 months ago, 1983 - 2019... 36 years.

They make OSB there and go through around 600 cords of logs a day.

I'll have to ask my Dad how they did it at the mill he worked at. He retired about 2 months ago, 1983 - 2019... 36 years.

They make OSB there and go through around 600 cords of logs a day.
That's an decent size mill but not huge. If the mill is SFI or FSC certified some percentage of the wood has to come of know and audited tracks for best management practices, and produced by a Top Logger certified producer.

That's an decent size mill but not huge. If the mill is SFI or FSC certified some percentage of the wood has to come of know and audited tracks for best management practices, and produced by a Top Logger certified producer.

One of the largest family owned companies in the US. They have 4 or 5 mills among other things.

One of the largest family owned companies in the US. They have 4 or 5 mills among other things.
You know Georgia Pacific is a private company as well. It's a family business in a way I guess the Coke brothers bought it 10 years maybe not that long ago. Haha

You know Georgia Pacific is a private company as well. It's a family business in a way I guess the Coke brothers bought it 10 years maybe not that long ago. Haha

So is Sierra Pacific

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dunno, just know the info I wrote. They are a multi billion dollar outfit.

Dunno, just know the info I wrote. They are a multi billion dollar outfit.
I was just making a statement. Haha. Just that some family or privately owned companies can be huge.

Latest posts

Back