Water Heater Size? Gas or electric?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently replaced my 40 y/o (leaking) electric water heater. I was considering on-demand (tankless) until I talked to my plumber. He told me that 1.) it would require rewiring as the amperage draw is huge 2.) they don't perform like propane units and are usually unsatisfactory. I bought another 40 gal. electric. Living in the mountains, we have frequent power outages, even more so now that PG&E is killing the grid when there is a red flag warning (high winds/fire danger). I have a 10,000/8,000 Ridgid generator that will run the well OR water heater along with the rest of the house (excluding hair dryer and microwave when the water heater is running). It would never run an on-demand water heater.

Since the unit sees regular use and either choice is practical, I'd go with propane, tank or tankless. They're cheaper to operate and you'd be able to pump and heat water while on generator. You would also, most likely, be able to get by with a smaller generator. On that note, get a propane generator, gas doesn't keep for long periods. I was scrambling to get gas before the most recent scheduled outage, as was everyone else in town.

I recently replaced my 40 y/o (leaking) electric water heater. I was considering on-demand (tankless) until I talked to my plumber. He told me that 1.) it would require rewiring as the amperage draw is huge 2.) they don't perform like propane units and are usually unsatisfactory. I bought another 40 gal. electric. Living in the mountains, we have frequent power outages, even more so now that PG&E is killing the grid when there is a red flag warning (high winds/fire danger). I have a 10,000/8,000 Ridgid generator that will run the well OR water heater along with the rest of the house (excluding hair dryer and microwave when the water heater is running). It would never run an on-demand water heater.

Since the unit sees regular use and either choice is practical, I'd go with propane, tank or tankless. They're cheaper to operate and you'd be able to pump and heat water while on generator. You would also, most likely, be able to get by with a smaller generator. On that note, get a propane generator, gas doesn't keep for long periods. I was scrambling to get gas before the most recent scheduled outage, as was everyone else in town.
Diesel 5 k generator that powers the well , propane on demand tankless water heater that needs no electricity, 250 gal propane tank, all the hot water you could use.

Electric is safer, less maintenance, and no calls in the middle of the night that the pilot light is out. As for size, it would all depend on usage.

I researched tankless gas a few years back and it didn't make financial sense for me.
I was replacing a 10 year old 40 gallon electric. A new electric was $400, a good tankless gas was 3 times that.
The newer tank type heaters have such good insulation, they have very little standby heat loss.
I also have very hard water and most plumbers advised against tankless because of scale issues and the need for vinegar flush outs fairly often.

Another nice thing with electric is they are very simple and trouble free. In the rare case you need to replace an element or thermostat, they are pretty standard and can be picked up at most hardware stores or building box stores.
I've had good luck with the mid price model Rheem from home depot, I think a 9 year warranty.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I'd consider installing a good 220 volt switch in a convenient place to see and operate.

Used wisely it could save electricity. A 30 gallon tank may save a little money. It depends on how many want to take a shower at the same time. Staggering showers by a half hour or so works great. For a single person a good low temperature setting would be to have the hot water running short by the end of a good shower.

I love a little story about how to find the lowest temperature setting a family finds satisfying.

The Squak Factor:

Every week or two turn down the temperature on the water heater just a fraction. Don't let anybody know.

Keep at it until someone 'squaks'. It may take months.

Tell them you will take a looks at the water heater and turn it up slightly.

You get the drift.

I would recommend an off the shelf 40 gallon electric tank heater. The wires are already there, the plumbing is in the right spot. No moving parts, a reservoir of hot water if the power goes out short term, etc. These things are cheap to buy and replace. No explosions, noise, or CO poison.

When I used to work and stay in man camps, I had a lot of experience with gas hot water heaters. We had 8 men to a trailer and all wanted to take showers at the same time. I know from experience with a house full of people, electric heaters would run out of hot water and take a long time to recover. Gas recovers pretty fast. Currently in my rv, my water heater is small, about 6 gal. It will work on gas or electric. There is only two people staying in the rv. I found the electric heating option is not sufficient for even one person to take a shower. I keep 4 30lb bottles and 2 20lb bottles on hand. I still havent gotten a handle on how much gas we will use as I don't know how much gas was in the first 2 tanks when I bought the trailer and The second set of 30lb tanks, one had been used for 8 hrs smoking meat. We are cooking with gas and also just now starting to use the gas furnace some for heat. I guess what I would have to consider is how many folks would be using hot water before I chose whether gas or electric, and would they be lining up to take a shower. 40gal electric is a pretty common size in my area, we don't have any gas pipelines around here. Propane is pretty big as far as furnaces for heat, but most folks just heat the house with gas and still use electric for hot water. I would also consider a solar hot water heater with either a electric or gas backup. With only using the hot water during the summer months and a large enough storage tank, you might find you can get by with just a couple of BBQ grill tanks a year to keep plenty of hot water.

Back