Chainsaw related pet peeve‘s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching my buddy try to tear the starter cord out of his saw and mine each time he attempted to start them was gnawing at me, I don't know why he thinks he needs to pull it to a painfully jarring stop each time, but he always seems to do it.

Especially this, my number one cringe when I see it.

Making up definitions of 'a cord' (or 'chord', or 'kord', . . .) of firewood that do not add up to 128 cubic feet.

E.g. 'firewood cord', 'logger's cord', 'face cord', 'fireplace cord', 'rick', 'bundle', . . .

I don't care how they sell the wood (by the pound, truckload, stacked or not, etc.), just don't call it 'a cord' if it does not add up.

Philbert

Not that it is enforced, but here in Oregon, it is not legal, to sell firewood in any measure besides a "Cord" or fraction of a Cord, which is defined as.............128 Cubic Feet.

"This Trailer/Pick up Load" "Pile, Stack" whatever is not legal, the state does Recognize and define a "Rick" as 1/3 of a Cord, Typically 4'x8'x16"

I rarely hear the term "Rick" around here, and I had NEVER heard the term "Face Cord" before joining AS.

Doug :cheers:

Not that it is enforced, but here in Oregon, it is not legal, to sell firewood in any measure besides a "Cord" or fraction of a Cord, which is defined as.............128 Cubic Feet.
Same here. I don't have any problem with one guy saying, 'I will give you $xx for that pile of wood'; it is the deceptive / misleading / ignorant ads, or the claims by the guys driving trucks through the alleys getting creative with weights and measures.

Philbert

Especially this, my number one cringe when I see it.

Best part of it was, while we were bucking up the tree I helped him get down in his back yard he was having issues with his pull starter, the cord wasn't retracting and he was frustrated because it's pretty much a brand new saw. Turns out the recoil assembly was kind of cockeyed, it just had to be popped back in to place but I'm certain it was from him ham fisting it. It's just a little 40cc or so saw too, I have no idea why he rips that cord so hard.

Best part of it was, while we were bucking up the tree I helped him get down in his back yard he was having issues with his pull starter, the cord wasn't retracting and he was frustrated because it's pretty much a brand new saw. Turns out the recoil assembly was kind of cockeyed, it just had to be popped back in to place but I'm certain it was from him ham fisting it. It's just a little 40cc or so saw too, I have no idea why he rips that cord so hard.

I have a friend that does that with , weedeater, leaf blower, or pressure washer, anything with a pull start.

My gripes aren’t necessarily about chainsaws themselves. I see them as tool, you can call it a steel for all I care.

1. Home owners telling me they have a chainsaw just like mine and they’d like to trade it for my work. It’s always a junky home owner saw. Only once have I liked what I saw.

2. People telling me how to do things I’ve done 100 times.

3. people telling me how to expand my firewood business. Usually by hauling wood to the city and selling for more money (not enough extra to cover the freight though ) I learned a long time ago that besides having the best saw, chain, axe for the job that there’s no way “smarter vs harder” makes you any money in firewood. You have to turn out cords fast with as little overhead as possible.

4. People who want me to come to their place and cut the wood off their property to deliver to them at a discount.

5. People wanting me to cut the trees in their yard down “for the wood”

6. People that show up to pickup a big order with a tiny trailer. I’ve busted my butt to have you 5 cords cut on a tight schedule and then you show up and can only haul 2.

7. The guy who says “this rack is exactly a cord, if it’s not full I’m not paying” I usually then use my masterful stacking skills to make sure the rack is full with air in it. And then take home the extra. It gives me a good chuckle.

79b8b91c3ae0a488854ead784c671248.jpg

Thought about your post today as I was browsing lol
Bravo that man is truly skilled to keep a chain on that is that loose’

Guys that think they need to run harvester chain on a chain saw 404 or 3/4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys that think they need to run harvester chain on a chain saw 404 or 3/4.

What really? guy's run harvester chain in 404 or 3/4 on a saw? What bars and rims are they using I wonder.
I've never see that before myself I'll have to get on YouTube see if can find some vids.

What really? guy's run harvester chain in 404 or 3/4 on a saw? What bars and rims are they using I wonder.
I've never see that before myself I'll have to get on YouTube see if can find some vids.

The old harvester 16hx was 404 063 all the new stuff is 404 080 and depending on the model has different drivers.
To the sprockets Danzco made sprockets to put 3/4 on saws bars would be custom unless you found a jet fit bar that magically fit.

The old harvester 16hx was 404 063 all the new stuff is 404 080 and depending on the model has different drivers.
To the sprockets Danzco made sprockets to put 3/4 on saws bars would be custom unless you found a jet fit bar that magically fit.

Oh ok didn't know they could run harverster chain
I'll stick to normal saw chain myself.

Back