Chainsaw related pet peeve‘s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passing 10 cords of wood on the ground to look for the biggest tree in the woods to cut to justify the $1500 saw and 42” bar and chain you just bought.

It isn’t just to “Justify the $1500 saw and 42” bar”, we often take the splitter into the woods with us, and prefer to get at least a good bit of large wood, in the 24-36” diameter range, so we can get some good 6-8” square splits for overnight burns. It is much easier to get a lot of large square splits out of large rounds than small rounds.

Where we cut, we usually drive in through the cutting area, scouting as we drive through, then come back. This lets us evaluate the wood, and come back to the “Best” wood, and usually positions the trailer facing down hill, if it isn’t level,which is nicer for loading

“Best Wood” has many variables, such as Species, Quality, Size and Accessibility .

We don’t pass Good wood just because it is less than 20” diameter, this year we did get mostly 20” and smaller wood, just the way the trees fell this year. The 50cc saws got far and away the most use, the 3120XP didn’t even go to the woods, and the 390XP only got used a couple times. Now that I have a 395XP and a 390XP, the 3120, will likely stay home as a dedicated milling saw in the future

Size is just ONE of the considerations when we decide which wood to cut, Species, Quality and Accessibility are just as important. I don’t care if it is a Premium 36” OAK Log, f it is 100’ Down a Steep Hill, it’s Gonna STAY 100’ DOWN A Steep Hill ;)

Doug :cheers:

Weekend wood warrior uses saw for the first time since last year. Stale fuel in it. Wont start. Goes to check plug and rip's the terminal off the wire and out of the boot. (Twist it dumdum)
Stuffs it back in, disconnected and never says a word.

Weekend wood warrior uses saw for the first time since last year. Stale fuel in it. Wont start. Goes to check plug and rip's the terminal off the wire and out of the boot. (Twist it dumdum)
Guilty! I must admit I pull the boot straight back / off the plug without twisting it! Didn’t know there was an alternative!

That just happened to me this week. It was a Chinese coilwire, but I put it back on and it still works.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Pet peeves?

OH YA!
TORX FASTENERS.

Hate them. Ridiculous junk.
They were the biggest PITA before I got the tool to screw and unscrew them, after I loved them as they don’t seem to round like a philips, I go friggin :crazy2:when I have to deal with a philips that has been rounded (never my fault obviously!!!! )

Phillips are junk too!

I don’t think there is a type of fastener that I Haven’t had trouble with at some point in my life. Phillips are among my most Hated, still prefer Torx over Allen Head or square drive.

I am Curious, in an application where a Torx would be used, What would you prefer instead?:confused:

Guilty! I must admit I pull the boot straight back / off the plug without twisting it! Didn’t know there was an alternative!

Try twisting the boot while pulling up, gently. Usually the counter clockwise twist will release it.
Everyone has done it, including myself.

I don’t think there is a type of fastener that I Haven’t had trouble with at some point in my life. Phillips are among my most Hated, still prefer Torx over Allen Head or square drive.

I am Curious, in an application where a Torx would be used, What would you prefer instead?:confused:

Allen, hex, dzus, robertson.

I think torx were invented for automated assembly processes so precise alignment of installation tools is not so critical (a guess). I see that as the only torx advantage. This seems to me like the only reason for torx to exist.

I suppose it's just quicker to align the tool in disassembly too.

I can see how it’s a pet peeve. I personally use torx screws and such in a lot of stuff but the availability or torch bit sets isn’t as great. I’ve been looking at buying a long torx bit set but I’ll have to buy individually I guess. Really the only long one I need is t27.

Hands down torx screws for the win on a saw the kind Stihl have with the deep heads and hardened Steel, like an alien key head is tall/deep but in Torx head you don't even have to worry about it slipping or striping if don't have the bit lined up.
The torx screws in automotive use like in
chrysler jeeps and such the ones they use in cab like on door linings are a fail apart from being made out of plasticine they are so shallow like 2mm what a pita they are to line up and not strip the head out. Not to mention just fall off the bit if you need to start it on the bit if you can't start it with your finggers.
Some in the engine bays are deeper but Still a fail..
Stihl got torx screws right the end..

It's always frustrating to not have the right tool for a fastener. I first had to find / buy a T-27 driver for my Toro snowthower - pretty exotic at the time.

We had an exceptional hardware store at the time that carried all kinds of bits and drivers.

But for the last (?) years, I have been able to find these individualy, in sets, as insert bits, etc. at box box home centers, let alone on line.

Philbert

cf7cb9306bc041171ad1e40952827a64.png
29c0f4029d40e4a46df688cb225c0921.png

This one goes with the loose chain crowd I believe. In fact I may have found their leader...this one made me cringe.

As far as I am concerned, Torx is king with regard to insertion and lack of slipping or rounding out. Having said that, I keep a dental pick by my side to dig out all the oil packed sawdust.
Couldn’t agree more with the last sentence! That’s a great way to mess the bolt up!

Back