Ordering firewood?.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i usually order wood by now and am far ahead by 2 years. Some say rough winter? Some say colder winter? Some say nothing no brown/ black bugs to be seen. I have enough wood for a normal heating winter. My gut tells me to stash four cords away. My wallet says that’s $840. But lose power and get snowed in........ the last time it was seven days snowed in no power. Wood and generators. What do you think?

Yup I keep hearing colder and deeper snow this winter. Weather guessers don't seem to know one way or the other yet either.
My woolie worms are not doing much better at predicting either. I think half so far have been the normal black brown middle bu there have been about the same number that have been totaly black.
Over all I would say buy the extra wood now isn't like you won't or can't burn it later if not needed this winter.

:D Al

Get enough of it out there blown up against the house, and it makes darn good insulation.

When we get any more than a dusting of snow, I bank the house with snow--shovel up enough to cover exposed foundation and where the siding meets the foundation. Also, we have a basement door with a poor seal at the bottom--I heap snow up as high as possible against it. You can feel the difference with a banked house. Learned that tip decades ago from an old-timer. Back then I banked the house and the barn both, and it made a huge difference. (No barn now.)

Never hurts to have an extra cord or two if you can swing it. I was out of the area living in hotels most of last winter so I ended up with an extra 4 cord. This winter is starting out the same...

I heat my house on around 3 cords a winter. I have in the area of 15 cords at the house.

As a firewood vendor, I say don't wait. Had a lady call yesterday expecting she could get wood the same day. She threw a fit when I told her I'm booked out through November at this point.

First post is a bit confusing on second read. Do you have 2 years wood ahead, or just this winter? Sounds like you said both.

This time of the year, I aim for having this coming winters wood in my basement & ready to go, with 2 more winters wood stacked in the yard. It's not like it will waste away, drying in stacks, in 2 years. Money in the bank.

Latest posts

Back