461 enough more than a 440?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
would I notice any difference between a 440 and a 461? I need a new saw, want a 500, but can’t wait. I’m gonna try to keep it nice and then trade it in.

If your are cutting , say 10" wood or less you probably won't. Much bigger and the 461 will do better in my opinion.
I try to cut 15-18” trees if available. I don’t drive by the 10 plus ones though. The 361 is notably slower even in the smaller trees.

My modded 440 runs an 8 pin rim and it rips. Super fast in the less than 12” stuff and you just barely have to hold it back in the big wood. Not as fast as the 288 though.

Going from a 440 to a 461 is not about power, or reliability, but about unleashing the pure animal tiger in you. Imagine walking thru fire, performing a rock concert to adoring fans, being chosen to lead delegates in making first contact with beings from another galaxy, or being caller #11 for 3 straight days, or winning the grand prize at the international Bingo tournament, or discovering a cure for male pattern baldness and Erectile dysfunction in a single pill, etc. All this and more is experienced in running a ms461.

The 500i is so close to here.
It hard to imagine that 288 not getting it done for 3 more months.
With the 462 out and 500i coming.... it's not difficult to think the 461 market is headed for a slow down.
Might not be easy to get enough money back if you bought one.
Hell.... there is a mmws441 in classified that might be easier to "rent" for 3 months until the 500's ship (assuming the rumors of delivery are true)..

Good luck whatever you do.

The 500i is so close to here.
It hard to imagine that 288 not getting it done for 3 more months.
With the 462 out and 500i coming.... it's not difficult to think the 461 market is headed for a slow down.
Might not be easy to get enough money back if you bought one.
Hell.... there is a mmws441 in classified that might be easier to "rent" for 3 months until the 500's ship (assuming the rumors of delivery are true)..

Good luck whatever you do.
That 441 is pretty tempting. One of y’all needs to buy the 288 so I can buy that one! I have a pretty nice 361 I’m trying to sell local too.
No doubt the 288 would last me a couple years, but I just don’t like running it. Too heavy, very goofy balance with a 18” bar on it. Wrap handle is always in the way. Doesn’t feel like a stihl!

On top of that we had our first cold snap last week and I sold a lot of wood so I went and bought my year of supplies. Roll of Chain, 6 tsumura bars (stihl pattern), tube of rims, new sharpener wheel, bunch of oil.

I’m not against buying a saw now and using it as a second to the 500 later either.

Any of the saws would get me through. But my older 440 is gonna need a top end soon if I keep running. (I know small deal) My modded 440 is what I have been running. But I really want to keep it in good shape for sentimental purposes. It’s probably cut 700 cords of wood for me.

For 15-18" trees- if you are talking stock 440 versus stock 461, there is a difference, sure- but would you notice it in that sized timber if you know your way around a file?
For 15-18"trees- do you need a 500- or want a 500?
I need a 440 at least. Dead mesquite trees are rock hard. 1/2 a tank dulled a brand new stihl chain this morning. I think I could save time with a 660 even, but it’s too heavy to be worth it.

Maybe I would be better off just getting a 500 now from overseas. Anyone had any issues with one that would make me want a warranty?
I was looking at the weights of different saws and seems that’s gonna really be the king.

Back