Hot Blast wood burning stove thermostat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rwatrous61

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. Just found this forum so this has probably been answered before. We recently bought a house that has a Hot Blast 1557m as a secondary heat source.. The problem I'm having is the fans kick on at around 150 degrees, I have a magnetic thermometer on the front. According to it, the sweet spot should be between 300 and 500. With the fans kicking on so early the stove never gets to heat u p properly. Or is it? What temp should the fans come on and how would I adjust the thermostat? The house isnt getting heated enough. Any suggestions or answers would be greatly appreciated

Magnetic thermo on chimney. Your water jacket should not exceed 212 deg. At that point, your making steam.. in a unpressurerized system.

Ok so the thermometer should be on the chimney, not the front of the stove. That's interesting because it was on the chinney when we moved in but after unwatched some youtube videos and everyone else had theirs on the front i moved it.....

Probably, keeping it from rusting.
You can trust, if you're water jacket is 212 or more, your making steam.
My system is pressurized, alot different, in that respect.
I'll give a wild ass guess.... Plugged heat exchanger?

This is the first time I've ever used a wood burning stove, always had natural gas, so I'm clueless on heat exchangers or any of it. I didnt even realize it was water between the inner chamber and the outside. Funny because i stopped by tractor supply today and talked with thier "expert" and he told me the thermostat needed to be on the front and never mentioned anything about water lol

Sounds like you're gunna need some help. Purouse this site, and post your questions. I'ma presserized system, open systems seem to clog up with water purity, problems. Good luck

Hi. Just found this forum so this has probably been answered before. We recently bought a house that has a Hot Blast 1557m as a secondary heat source.. The problem I'm having is the fans kick on at around 150 degrees, I have a magnetic thermometer on the front. According to it, the sweet spot should be between 300 and 500. With the fans kicking on so early the stove never gets to heat u p properly. Or is it? What temp should the fans come on and how would I adjust the thermostat? The house isnt getting heated enough. Any suggestions or answers would be greatly appreciated
Is this your furnace?
E80A42AD-04B3-48AC-A781-17CE816497D9.jpeg

Yes sir. May be a little older or newer but almost identical
I’ve had mine 5 years and to the best of my knowledge there is no water jacket. I’ve owned it since new. They don’t draft well so when I start the fire I have the bottom draft door open, when the blower kicks on I leave the bottom door open for another 10-15 minutes then close it and have the draft opened out 4 turns for an hour then I’ll dial the draft in to 1-2 turns out from closed.

I’ve had mine 5 years and to the best of my knowledge there is no water jacket. I’ve owned it since new. They don’t draft well so when I start the fire I have the bottom draft door open, when the blower kicks on I leave the bottom door open for another 10-15 minutes then close it and have the draft opened out 4 turns for an hour then I’ll dial the draft in to 1-2 turns out from closed.

Right. As you can see in my picture my bottom door is open. I cleaned it out really good today to get better air flow but doesn't seem to help. I moved my thermometer up on the chinney as you can see. Its reading hotter than it was when I had it in the front but still not quite to that yellow, 300 to 500, mark that it needs to be. Its burning the wood up really quick. Not sure this is going to be that much cheaper than propane by the end of it. I've used a few of the pellet logs since I started it, I've only had it going for two days. Have you used these pellet logs before and of so do they make sense? I can get a ton of them for 300 bucks right now

Right. As you can see in my picture my bottom door is open. I cleaned it out really good today to get better air flow but doesn't seem to help. I moved my thermometer up on the chinney as you can see. Its reading hotter than it was when I had it in the front but still not quite to that yellow, 300 to 500, mark that it needs to be. Its burning the wood up really quick. Not sure this is going to be that much cheaper than propane by the end of it. I've used a few of the pellet logs since I started it, I've only had it going for two days. Have you used these pellet logs before and of so do they make sense? I can get a ton of them for 300 bucks right now
I think read somewhere not to use those logs in an actual woodburner, just fireplaces, burn rate isn’t good for woodburners.

Ok. Where do you put your thermometer at?
To be honest, never used one. My vertical stove pipe is stainless from the stove to the double wall pipe going out the cement block wall and the stainless pipe is a nice gold/blue/purple color.

Do a search on here for Hotblast and you will see what some of us have done with ours. As for your fans coming on too soon you can fix this by putting a spacer between the sensor and the steel that it is screwed too. I used a longer screw and a couple of washers which moved the sensor away enough and that let the fire heat up a little more before the fans kicked on. It's not very scientific but it worked for me. I also changed out the fans to a single fan from a regular furnace. A search using my user name should find the pictures.

Do a search on here for Hotblast and you will see what some of us have done with ours. As for your fans coming on too soon you can fix this by putting a spacer between the sensor and the steel that it is screwed too. I used a longer screw and a couple of washers which moved the sensor away enough and that let the fire heat up a little more before the fans kicked on. It's not very scientific but it worked for me. I also changed out the fans to a single fan from a regular furnace. A search using my user name should find the pictures.

Thanks for the response. Where do you keep your thermometer at? Since I moved mine to the chimney pipe, and have really filled the stove more than I previously had, I'm getting the numbers I'm supposed to. Actually had to close the bottom damper a few turns. I'm just curious at what temp the thermostat should turn on at. I guess the fans running all the time is normal anyway because its bot going to work like a normal furnac6no matter what you do. Just have to deal with the higher electricity bill in place of the propane

Thanks for the response. Where do you keep your thermometer at? Since I moved mine to the chimney pipe, and have really filled the stove more than I previously had, I'm getting the numbers I'm supposed to. Actually had to close the bottom damper a few turns. I'm just curious at what temp the thermostat should turn on at. I guess the fans running all the time is normal anyway because its bot going to work like a normal furnac6no matter what you do. Just have to deal with the higher electricity bill in place of the propane
My electric bill actually doesn’t go up much, if at all in winter. In summer the A/C and pumps in the koi pond run. Kind of a wash.

Latest posts

Back