Barber Chair Video - Finding Original Source?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously you won't be blasting hazard trees in a commercial setting as the USFS does.

So for my (and everyone else's') education how would a tree like this be handled in a commercial logging environment? What rules (if any) dictate when a sawyer should walk away? Is it solely up to the sawyer's judgement or are there rules such as OSHA?

It’s faller decision unless it’s a safety hazard say for a high lead job then it would have to come down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

A lot of you have probably seen this video...

https://www.facebook<dot>com/therealtrollco/videos/2489507804404583/
Some editing required---^

Anybody know how to find the original source? I would like to be able to use a complete (and higher resolution) version in a saw safety course.

Thanks,
Steve

Hey Steve,

Found this thread on AS with a much clearer version...

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/lucky-to-be-alive-rotten-barber-chair-video.298230/

Hope this helps...

AND quite dead. High barber chair hazard. Would likely prevent the chair if it was bore cut to remove the section of the tree that would chair.

That’s not dead that’s Red Alder it has a white color wood when fresh cut, show me how it’s dead?

That’s not dead that’s Red Alder it has a white color wood when fresh cut, show me how it’s dead?

I cut “quite a bit” of red Alder.... always bore cut.

As a daily nw cutter, What do you do when you have one.... they seem to be really prone to chair.
Almost Always leaning and “tightly sprung”.

I cut “quite a bit” of red Alder.... always bore cut.

As a daily nw cutter, What do you do when you have one.... they seem to be really prone to chair.
Almost Always leaning and “tightly sprung”.

Coos bay back cut I hardly ever bore anything.

thx....
T or Triangle ?

Triangle
a5faa0a219ca13b7819b7341878878ad.jpg

One of the patches I cut chased every back cut in there.

Thanks Skeans
I'll give the Coos Bay a try.

Back in the early 90's my Uncle had a Blueberry farm up on Hiway2 near Goldbar.
That's where I learned to fall trees.. Almost all alders next to Miller river in a big acreage we cleared out to plant more berry bushes.
An old timer who logged up there in the 70's taught me to bore cut any alder you plan to fall. He taught me to fear Barber chair (ignorant 20yo)
I never had one chair but there where plenty of standing chaired trees in that stand... assuming from wind events.
Decades later...I have a bunch on my land... can't seem to get away from alders.

Once again it is hard to tell from the video... The top is not in view and the bark looks "different" than surrounding trees. When the top does come into view on its way to the ground I see what look like dead branches and not any green. Is this what you would expect for a live red alder?

We don't have anything like it on the right coast. The closest that I can think of that we have is maple (and pine) that will chair if given a chance.

Once again it is hard to tell from the video... The top is not in view and the bark looks "different" than surrounding trees. When the top does come into view on its way to the ground I see what look like dead branches and not any green. Is this what you would expect for a live red alder?

We don't have anything like it on the right coast. The closest that I can think of that we have is maple (and pine) that will chair if given a chance.
Most likley a red fir

Depending on the time of year yes, Red Alder is a PNW hardwood that does loose it’s leaves in the fall the branches can look dead it’s a different kind of hardwood in that it’s soft.

The closest thing you guys out there to it would be your Ash or what’s left of it for the purpose of chairing.

Here’s a good question you say you’re putting a video together for a saw safety class, how much experience do you have falling timber? How about reading timber? Reading timber the lay the proper way to get that tree down into that lay without breaking it is an art of it’s own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Skeans
I'll give the Coos Bay a try.
Back in the early 90's my Uncle had a Blueberry farm up on Hiway2 near Goldbar.
That's where I learned to fall trees.. Almost all alders next to Miller river in a big acreage we cleared out to plant more berry bushes.
An old timer who logged up there in the 70's taught me to bore cut any alder you plan to fall. He taught me to fear Barber chair (ignorant 20yo)
I never had one chair but there where plenty of standing chaired trees in that stand... assuming from wind events.
Decades later...I have a bunch on my land... can't seem to get away from alders.

Could be worse . . . they're great for smoking salmon on the grill.

^^^^^
+1
You beat me to it. Was going to add to my above post... Alder is Great for smoked chinook... nothing better imo.

It's a good looking wood for cabinet doors and furniture as well.
Dried correctly it's super easy to work with. When I had the Stair and Mantel shop we used it a lot.

Latest posts

Back