Barber Chair Video - Finding Original Source?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s a good question you say you’re putting a video together for a saw safety class, how much experience do you have falling timber? How about reading timber? Reading timber the lay the proper way to get that tree down into that lay without breaking it is an art of it’s own.

I am not putting together a video for a class... just looking for example / conversation video for an existing class. I have a fair amount of falling experience but it is not commercial. I am a volunteer sawyer and work on trails - mostly removing downed and hazard trees. I am usually the one that gets the call to remove/mitigate such trees if I think it can be done safely. While I don't walk away from many, I have done so in the past and wouldn't hesitate to again if the situation is above my "pay grade".

The course that I help instruct and field evaluate for is the USFS curriculum which is very similar to S-212 for wildfires. If you don't have USFS experience you have probably never heard of it. We try to teach trail trail volunteers how NOT to get hurt either with the saw or what they are cutting!

Very interesting thread.
But I do wonder how it ever got the name Barber Chair ?

The name came from the old chairs which barbers used when they shaved their customers' beards.... They would sit behind the customer and tip the chair over, so that the customer landed up "head down, and feet up"... easier for the barber to reach... and this is basically what happens to a tree which barber chairs - head (crown) down, feet (roots/base) up!

At least, that's the story I heard.... :givebeer:

The name came from the old chairs which barbers used when they shaved their customers' beards.... They would sit behind the customer and tip the chair over, so that the customer landed up "head down, and feet up"... easier for the barber to reach... and this is basically what happens to a tree which barber chairs - head (crown) down, feet (roots/base) up!

At least, that's the story I heard.... :givebeer:
Could very well be although I have never seen that function (that I recall) in an old movie or anything. I have seen them layed back for a blade shave.
My other thought before your post has always been that when it splits it's a metaphorical shave or haircut. A dental chair has a long back also and you could be needing some dental work if you survived? So either name would have fit for either of my two theories.

One of the dopiest things I've seen on YouTube. Why would anyone do that intentionally?

"Here, let's crash my car into this bridge abutment to see how well the airbags work...?"
or
"Here, let's see how many gallons of gasoline it takes to set the whole house on fire...?

screenshot-969.jpg

"Uhhhhhh...now what?"

He should stick to donuts

Could be worse . . . they're great for smoking salmon on the grill.

This summer we flew to the Taku Lodge by seaplane next to the Alaskan Hole-in-the-Wall glacier. I love salmon and have cooked it many ways, but this alder-cooked wild salmon was far better than anything I've ever done.

This summer we flew to the Taku Lodge by seaplane next to the Alaskan Hole-in-the-Wall glacier. I love salmon and have cooked it many ways, but this alder-cooked wild salmon was far better than anything I've ever done.
I worked in that area in Telsequa on the BC side on the Taku River in 2009 building a mining camp that never flew.

Back