"You Suck" Thread 2019--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a rough year so far, but I think my luck is starting to change. During the second week of cutting, my trusty Super XL locked up mid-cut. I thought she seized, but when I got home and pulled the muffler, I could see the piston moving. Turns out I broke the connecting rod. Bought a Poulan 3816 from a co-worker for $50. They said it wouldn't cut for them. Put a sharp chain on it, and it really surprised me how well it did, given that it is a consumer grade Poulan. It even handled some of the 16" Cherry I was cutting into manageable sizes to skid to my cutting area on Friday.

Anyway, went to the saw shop to grab another chain (I like to keep about 6-8 chains, so I don't have to stop cutting to sharpen; just pop on a fresh one and go.) Saw an older Husky 61 on the shelf. Asked the guy about it. Customer dropped it off for repair and never came back for it. He left him messages when it was done, and a month later. Put it in his storage area and forgot about it. Found it last week, left the guy another message that it would be sold if he didn't come get it. Wanted his repair cost out of it. $160 out the door. He said he knew it wouldn't take long to sell, but considering he put it out at 13:00 and I bought it at 14:00, he didn't think it would sell in a hour. Gave me a 30 day "try it out" period.

Tried it out yesterday, seemed to cut about like the SXL. Then I put the fresh chain on it. Holy rip! This thing cuts! Quite the upgrade for me.
img_20191101_173049695-jpg.770269

Attachments

• IMG_20191101_173049695.jpg
    IMG_20191101_173049695.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 374
It's been a rough year so far, but I think my luck is starting to change. During the second week of cutting, my trusty Super XL locked up mid-cut. I thought she seized, but when I got home and pulled the muffler, I could see the piston moving. Turns out I broke the connecting rod. Bought a Poulan 3816 from a co-worker for $50. They said it wouldn't cut for them. Put a sharp chain on it, and it really surprised me how well it did, given that it is a consumer grade Poulan. It even handled some of the 16" Cherry I was cutting into manageable sizes to skid to my cutting area on Friday.

Anyway, went to the saw shop to grab another chain (I like to keep about 6-8 chains, so I don't have to stop cutting to sharpen; just pop on a fresh one and go.) Saw an older Husky 61 on the shelf. Asked the guy about it. Customer dropped it off for repair and never came back for it. He left him messages when it was done, and a month later. Put it in his storage area and forgot about it. Found it last week, left the guy another message that it would be sold if he didn't come get it. Wanted his repair cost out of it. $160 out the door. He said he knew it wouldn't take long to sell, but considering he put it out at 13:00 and I bought it at 14:00, he didn't think it would sell in a hour. Gave me a 30 day "try it out" period.

Tried it out yesterday, seemed to cut about like the SXL. Then I put the fresh chain on it. Holy rip! This thing cuts! Quite the upgrade for me.
img_20191101_173049695-jpg.770269

Upgrade, go Curve!

20191104_154118.jpg 20191104_153811.jpg 20191104_153514.jpg 20191104_155616.jpg 20191104_162906.jpg
I didnt just buy an 088 at a reasonably priced offer, but that the previous owner felt that the carb should be rebuilt due to it sitting and started just handing me saws as compensation!!! I literally wish I was born with more arms!
So the Suckage is #1 poulan 4200 with bow (was missing fuel cap).
#2 SXLAO with bow (was missing oil cap)
#3 McCulloch 10-10s special edition (broken oil push button, dam green plastic)
#4 028 stihl wood boss ( every av mount bad ,and missing muffler face and 1 bar stud.
#5 4 extra .404 chains for 088 stihl 105cm bar.( a little rusty from sitting.
All the extra saws run on prime maybe even on tank but I haven't replaced any filters or lines yet and have good to great compression, the McCulloch is especially nice.
Your seeing all as I pretty much received them.
Honestly this might be (I suck ) but I feel blessed and or grateful.
CAD??

IMG_20191105_172925.jpg IMG_20191105_172856.jpg I don't see very many old american saws down here in new zealand, you guys probably see a lot of these but I was excited to find this and pick it up for $20, seems pretty clean and tidy and it runs crisp on half choke, so I'm currently waiting for a carb kit to arrive and fingers crossed it'll be a fun sunday saw.

Also would this suck? I know nothing about them but my neighbor has a 1949 farmall cub restored with plow and grader for $1,000 , would it be worth picking up ? I dont live on a farm nor do i farm anything , but i could use it to pull large trailer loads of wood out the fields ( pic is of a cub but not the exact cub , but looks identical

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191022-075414.png
    Screenshot_20191022-075414.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
View attachment 770588 View attachment 770589 View attachment 770590 View attachment 770591 View attachment 770592
I didnt just buy an 088 at a reasonably priced offer, but that the previous owner felt that the carb should be rebuilt due to it sitting and started just handing me saws as compensation!!! I literally wish I was born with more arms!
So the Suckage is #1 poulan 4200 with bow (was missing fuel cap).
#2 SXLAO with bow (was missing oil cap)
#3 McCulloch 10-10s special edition (broken oil push button, dam green plastic)
#4 028 stihl wood boss ( every av mount bad ,and missing muffler face and 1 bar stud.
#5 4 extra .404 chains for 088 stihl 105cm bar.( a little rusty from sitting.
All the extra saws run on prime maybe even on tank but I haven't replaced any filters or lines yet and have good to great compression, the McCulloch is especially nice.
Your seeing all as I pretty much received them.
Honestly this might be (I suck ) but I feel blessed and or grateful.
CAD??
You do suck! And when the McCulloch is ready to find a new home I can make a bed for it... lol

it has the chip guard on the starter assembly which is a you suck in itself lol. Does it have the top cover?

that’s a great haul all around

You do suck! And when the McCulloch is ready to find a new home I can make a bed for it... lol

it has the chip guard on the starter assembly which is a you suck in itself lol. Does it have the top cover?

that’s a great haul all around
It is complete except for the oiler push button is broke, and one allen head screw is missing. Thank you. Let me know if your ever up in South Carolina.

Do you think it is cool? Do you have somewhere to store it out of the weather?

The uses of a tractor are only limited by your imagination, wallet and abilities with a welder.
I do have a good size garage it can sit in , and again i sure couls use some more pulling power then my huskee garden tractor pulling wood, not so much a welder but i sure could use the plow and grader blade in the driveway and yard , also maybe make some side money with it doong the same in the neighborhood , i spoke to the betrer half about it and she said if i can sell enough firewood to pay for half of it , then go for it , so I think i will snag it from him

20191107_112559.jpg

PM 270 Canadien (sold by Mobilco here i think, hence the red and yellow paint job) and a Solo 650va, both from the same farm/orchard.

$50 ea.

Both turn over but the Canadien feels a bit funky, very heavy pull and kind of gummy. Plus the starter cord pulls out most of the way before catching and turning over the motor. On the up side it came with a NOS starter spring.

The Solo looks like it will come up well. It will hang on the starter cord, the airbox is perfectly clean under the filter. It has spark, though it looks on the weak side, this could be my test methods.
The hard guard is broken but other than that it looks lightly used and well cared for.
I'm not sure why but i am really excited by this one. I think as a kid someone raised Solo saws up as "the best" saws you could get. I'm not sure who out of my aunt and uncles or grandfather had a Solo, time to make some phone calls i think.

$30, Homelite Super EZ Automatic. I think it’s a 1974 model. The guy I bought from said it might need a spark plug. He hadn’t tried to run it. Was his dads or grandfathers, don’t remember. Took it home, pulled the plug and it wasn’t too bad but I replaced it, checked and made sure it had spark. Put fresh fuel and oil in and first three or four pulls, nothing. Put a little two stroke mix in the cylinder and she fired off second pull. Now she starts on first pull every time. Needs cleaned up a bit and a new chain but I’m in love with this saw. Did some limbing on the willow that went down in our back yard and it did real well.

f2fd31ce64835d97057b65dab535a397.jpg
821eb3a53b283906317255fa3c32ad16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back