Trimming help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeowner220

Reaction score
Im not sure where to start for the care of a large tree in my yard. Very old is my guess. I plan to rope chainsaw any trimming as I can throw to most branches except the middle and top set. Mostly going to trim any branches growing too low off main trunk near ground and maybe higher side branches.

Can I just cut anywhere and have a healthy tree?

Does anybody know the type I live in Montana?

Attachments

• 20191025_175633.jpg
    20191025_175633.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20191025_174043.jpg
    20191025_174043.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
You can not just cut your Cottonwood anywhere and have a healthy tree.

They don’t compartmentalize (heal over) well. Your best bet is to just remove deadwood.

How are you planning on securing yourself to the tree while cutting?

I suppose I will leave it alone. Its a mature tree. Out in the open. Wasnt sure what to do with the tree never had a big one before. Just a bunch of work if it dies on me.

What would your goal of pruning be? Trees shouldn't be pruned "just because" start with the end in mind and prune what needs to be pruned to achieve that while maintaining a healthy tree.

The lower branches are growing so low I cant walk under can I cutt the branches near collars?

Attachments

• 20191030_114532.jpg
    20191030_114532.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
Trim of the little stuff poking you in the eyes.... leave the rest of it's live.
This is the wrong time to prune a tree (Deciduous dormancy)... when saps flowing, it can heal itself. When not,... pathogens have a chance of reaping havoc.
Anyway... trimming little low twiggy stuff should be fine.

Less pathogen spread with dormant pruning (wounds are dry by the time the vectoring bugs are active again in many cases), faster wound closure with summer pruning. Outside of a few specific pests like oak wilt or dutch elm disease just prune year-round.

Trim of the little stuff poking you in the eyes.... leave the rest of it's live.
This is the wrong time to prune a tree (Deciduous dormancy)... when saps flowing, it can heal itself. When not,... pathogens have a chance of reaping havoc.
Anyway... trimming little low twiggy stuff should be fine.
What?? This is news to me. For many many years I've done my minor pruning year-round, but have always thought (heard it somewhere) the best time is when the sap is down.
Is this not true, Ath?

What?? This is news to me. For many many years I've done my minor pruning year-round, but have always thought (heard it somewhere) the best time is when the sap is down.
Is this not true, Ath?
I live in the PNW and learned what I know here.
Pruning is ideal beginning in the late winter when Pathogens are at a low point and the trees have started to flow.
It does not freeze much if at all in the winter here.. Fungus and bacterial introduction is a primary concern.
If that's wrong it's news to me. What are other regional considerations with regard to pruning?

I live in the PNW and learned what I know here.
Pruning is ideal beginning in the late winter when Pathogens are at a low point and the trees have started to flow.
It does not freeze much if at all in the winter here.. Fungus and bacterial introduction is a primary concern.
If that's wrong it's news to me. What are other regional considerations with regard to pruning?
I wasn't implying you are wrong, just saying I've always thought it was different.
As for the scientific, or logical reasons behind when the best time to prune/trim a tree is, I haven't a clue. o_O
If I had to guess, and a reason why it makes sense to me, for trimming when the sap is down/the tree is dormant, I suppose it would be because the tree is sleeping/in hibernation mode and would feel less pain during that time. :heart:

I wasn't implying you are wrong, just saying I've always thought it was different.
As for the scientific, or logical reasons behind when the best time to prune/trim a tree is, I haven't a clue. o_O
If I had to guess, and a reason why it makes sense to me, for trimming when the sap is down/the tree is dormant, I suppose it would be because the tree is sleeping/in hibernation mode and would feel less pain during that time. :heart:
Trees are active in dormancy but its auxin is normally allocated to root growth in the dormant period. The number one reason to trim in fall is bugs which transmit disease are less active during that time. Also in the active growing season wounds will continue to bleed sometimes all summer until the plugging occurs. The absolute worst time to prune most trees is during bud break in early spring because the trunk is very easily damaged during this time.

Latest posts

Back