I bought wood today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My bundles have been selling well at the hardware store, and I was running low on the junk wood I use (silver maple). I didn’t want to use my heating wood, so I bought nearly a cord of seasoned wood from a local seller. Big variety- I saw cypress, box elder, maple, elm, sycamore, pine, and (I think) catalpa.
That should last the winter for the bundles. Strange- the gas station isn’t moving them at all, but the hardware store is.
Wish I could get more local business to sell them, but I’m content with what I have.

I was camping in TN last summer and had to buy campfire wood.

It's a year later and it still hurts to think about it.
I here ya. I drove 30 mins back home once from camping to get some more firewood.
After the tim hortons run and fuel i proby spent 30 bucks but never had to buy wood.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I don’t mind buying wood when camping. What I hate is buying green wood. One campground in TN we stayed at a few years ago was covered in nasty smoke because they were selling wood that was fresh out of the woods! Ugh! I did have words with some employees, but I doubt that went anywhere. I found a local seller and got some seasoned wood from him. He even delivered.

Silver maple is perfect campfire wood. Good flavor and burns nice. I burned a ton, well more than that, for a few years. Not great but it makes BTUs

I was ready to call blasphemy Unc! But to save your primo stash(or should I say “stache”?) I will calm down. Lol.
I would turn in my man card if I have to buy firewood for camping, but I must admit that I use that as a bargaining chip with my camping crew... If they pack the cornhole boards and bring me my first morning coffee we are all squared away. And they are more than happy to oblige. The good stuff never goes in a campfire though. We know to save the good stuff around here!

Ha! I GAVE AWAY my junk wood at the campgrounds last summer. It sure is fun to just show up with a pickup load full and hand it out.
But it really was junk wood, white fir that had gone a tad soft - no way it was going into my stacks.
Selling wood in either of our local campground is actually not permitted - and the US Corp of Engineers enforces that - nor do they sell wood. There are several people on the road from town that sell roadside bundles.
pile-SM.jpg

Here in Maine, you have to buy campfire wood at the campground, at least in Baxter State Park, even if you can prove you are a resident. I guess they are concerned with invasive pests hitching a free ride in firewood from down state or out of state.

I guess where I live in Idaho is different from where the rest of you guys live. We don’t pack wood to go camping, and IF we stay in a designated campground, it’s never a pay place. Campfire wood is abundant and there’s plenty of spots along the cricks to pitch a tent or pull in a trailer. I’m not knocking how you guys live by any means, it’s just different here and hard for me to imagine.

I guess where I live in Idaho is different from where the rest of you guys live. We don’t pack wood to go camping, and IF we stay in a designated campground, it’s never a pay place. Campfire wood is abundant and there’s plenty of spots along the cricks to pitch a tent or pull in a trailer. I’m not knocking how you guys live by any means, it’s just different here and hard for me to imagine.

LOL, the population density difference between the West/Southwest and the Northeast is hard to imagine if you don't live here. there are 30+ million people within a day's drive of Maine and they would strip the Baxter State Park designated campgrounds bare of firewood in a year. It wasn't always this way, 30 years ago, you could scrounge all the camp firewood you wanted in the campgrounds in a 500' radius, now you have to walk a mile.

It is different. Out west, you guys can ride ATV’s on public land. Here in Virginia, they will jack the jail up and put you and your ATV under it if caught riding on USFS land.

I'm used to camping in places where it's easy to scrounge wood. Now that I've "matured" we stay in real campgrounds, sometimes even pay. Those places are generally stripped of anything that can be gathered and broken up without tools. There is NO WAY I'm going to buy firewood by the bundle. I dont' take wood, I take my Stihl 009 with 12" bar. Drive a couple of miles away and quickly cut all the wood we need. Thinking seriously about a battery saw so I don't have to drive so far.

Ha! Glad most campers are not like you guys..... Lots of states and all the National parks will not let you bring in firewood unless it is certified "heat treated" or locally sourced (25 to 50 miles depending on the state). Down here in Texas...the parks and wildlife department is wanting to start moving in that direction as well......so if Texas is going there and all the Blue states are already there, I wood imagine the rest of the red states will follow suit. I sell 24/7 at Texas state parks (all wood sourced within 50 miles of the park and working on kilns to be ready when they get serious). Sell strictly by the 2 cuft by volume bag....The gross per true cord is $1200....profit $600. The gen Xers, city folk and glampers love it. Find a niche and fill it.

Ha! Glad most campers are not like you guys..... Lots of states and all the National parks will not let you bring in firewood unless it is certified "heat treated" or locally sourced (25 to 50 miles depending on the state). Down here in Texas...the parks and wildlife department is wanting to start moving in that direction as well......so if Texas is going there and all the Blue states are already there, I wood imagine the rest of the red states will follow suit. I sell 24/7 at Texas state parks (all wood sourced within 50 miles of the park and working on kilns to be ready when they get serious). Sell strictly by the 2 cuft by volume bag....The gross per true cord is $1200....profit $600. The gen Xers, city folk and glampers love it. Find a niche and fill it.
Just FYI.
None of Provinces will let you take in certain types of higher risk firewood like ash or elm into our provincial parks.
This applies to all across Canada and is 2-3 times a larger area that the whole of the US.
We are very consciences of transporting diseased and contaminated firewood and have limits to transport distances too.
The EAB has decimated our woods and just in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) alone, over 300,000 dying Ash trees have been removed from boulevards and parks.
Canada has most of the worlds wood and the last large forests on this planet.
I hope we never get to the level that the US is in. It's dire down there and most of your forests area all cut down now.

My bundles have been selling well at the hardware store, and I was running low on the junk wood I use (silver maple). I didn’t want to use my heating wood, so I bought nearly a cord of seasoned wood from a local seller. Big variety- I saw cypress, box elder, maple, elm, sycamore, pine, and (I think) catalpa.
That should last the winter for the bundles. Strange- the gas station isn’t moving them at all, but the hardware store is.
Wish I could get more local business to sell them, but I’m content with what I have.
Yeah, you've been busy playing "Mr. Veteran New Dad". I'm sure all of us here can agree to overlook this understandable infraction.
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back