Stihl 180 or Echo 352

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Timm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My old Stihl 180c is getting tired. I'm ready to purchase a new limbing saw, but not sure if I should try an echo or possibly a jonserud? I like the tool less chain tensioner on my Stihl as I've always had good luck with it. Anyone have some advice or opinions?

My 180c ran great. Tool less adjuster worked fine. Ran 16" bar, really liked the chainbrake. Got stolen. Had all the accessories for the saw in the case. So I was starting from nothing again. Bought the 352 because local dealer had a 20% off sale. Runs great, maybe a little more power, chainbrake just a tad further away to engage. No problems at all. I know that Stihl offers the narrower chain and bar which probably helps make it more effective on a smaller saw. I think either saw would serve you well. Do you have a lots of chains and extra bars for your 180? I managed to bend mine slightly so I always kept a spare. Had not all the extra chains and bars and stuff been stolen together I probably would have just bought another Stihl.

I may have an extra chain, but still the original 14" bar. I'm also wondering if they have any decent sales on either of them with black Fri coming up soon?

The echo website will tell you when the echo dealer in your area will have their next 20% off sell, if you’re not in a hurry.

Just saw a Makita
EA3601FRDB with the tool less chain tensioner that looks like a good option? Anyone got any experience with one of these?

Makita's are nice, well built saws. I'd pick that over either the 180 or the 352. Only downside is it's made in China, and a little heavier than the 352.
Myself, I splurged a little and got the Echo CS-361P. It might be the lightest saw in this size, and is a hot little number. I love it.
20181225_102717.jpg

I was using a Poulan and it's worn out within 13 months, I just bought a MS250 and what a Saw! I love the no priming before starting, most of the time choke is not required, boy I love this Stihl!

th

I like the cs400 Echo a lot. Has a very smooth starter which is easy on my sometimes tender shoulder. Little more power then a 180 and they can be had on ebay $250ish. I haven't run the smaller echoes.
You could pick up an ms170 ($179 price tag) or watch for a used 1 and use the180 toolless parts and bar& chain extras.
If u r willing to spend more the ms250 would be significant gain in power. YOU can convert it to picco bar and chain and interchange the 180 b& c. Not sure about the tooless. The 250 did at 1 time have the toolless option.
I think a 2 saw option might make your woodcutting chores go better. May be a 170 and ms250 or ? would be an affordable upgrade?

I like the cs400 Echo a lot. Has a very smooth starter which is easy on my sometimes tender shoulder. Little more power then a 180 and they can be had on ebay $250ish. I haven't run the smaller echoes.
You could pick up an ms170 ($179 price tag) or watch for a used 1 and use the180 toolless parts and bar& chain extras.
If u r willing to spend more the ms250 would be significant gain in power. YOU can convert it to picco bar and chain and interchange the 180 b& c. Not sure about the tooless. The 250 did at 1 time have the toolless option.
I think a 2 saw option might make your woodcutting chores go better. May be a 170 and ms250 or ? would be an affordable upgrade?

I already have a Dolmar 6100 for my two saw option. Loving the 6100 so far, upgraded from a Dolmar 5100.

A muff modded CS400 cuts way faster than a MS180 , so does a CS352 which has closed ports vs the open ports on lower level Stihl saws. Steve
I already have a Dolmar 6100 for my two saw option. Loving the 6100 so far, upgraded from a Dolmar 5100.
To me anything between 017 and ms250 feels lightweight. I can get pooped running anything bigger even a little heavier, 50ish cc saw and change to my 025 and recover running a tankful through it. My personal 1 has a 16" picco b&c. 14 probably wouldn't be bad either.
I like cs 400 a little better then a 180 but if i could use more power and still want to handle a small saw will run the 025.
I think i should add todays experience with the cs400 16inch. Probably less then 15 minutes bucking up small firewood my back was sore. Using 16inch stihls that is very rare if at all with me. I think the handle and bar angles on stihls work better for me when bucking wood on the ground . Seems like less bending and twisting of my back with the same size bar. I've noticed the same difference with Husqies in the past. Just falling trees and letting them lay, or smalling up brush for the chipper thats not a problem for me.
Had an 18" bar on 1 of my cs400s, think it was easier on my back also.

Back