small 4wd firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Need something to wiggle in tighter areas of my woods to cut firewood. This way I do not have to cut a bunch of little roads. Will have a 3 pt hitch carrier on the back to carry equipment in and then carry blocked up wood out. Something in the 1520-1720 New Holland size. Maybe 75 cubic inch or so. No FEL needed since I have one on my Kubota M6800. Throw some model numbers at me. Also have seen JD 790.

My fil fetches his wood with a bx2200 Kubota. He bought it new in 2003 and the odometer died last year with well over 1800 hrs. of really rough service, but with a few minor repairs over the years it's still as reliable as day one. He also owns an old B6100, but I'm here to tell you that manual transmissions and manual steering are not for everyone if you're jockying around in tight quarters on rough terrain, which is usually the case. For me personally, I still think a sturdy 6 cu. ft. wheelbarrow is the answer if your heathy enough to push it.

A friend sold a larger Kubota and got a 24 hp Yanmar with front end loader. Very nice small foot print tractor. Easy on/easy off. FEL controls are close at hand, unlike many small Kubota's which are mounted on the fel and block that side for on/off. You said you wouldn't need a fel, but with a small bucket and grapple attachment it's a really handy machine for not a lot of money. He uses a box blade for gravel driveway maintenance. The grapple is perfect for firewood limbs/small logs and clearing brush. You would not need roads and, depending on tires, wouldn't tear it up the ground cover either.

I personally own an LS tractor 2017 xg3025h I have 27 acres of mostly low land swamp an do a good amount of firewood n food plots for deer brand new with rear filled tires and loader 17,200 out the door that’s with tax n everything else my only issue was I didn’t get it sooner.. now I’m sure someone will say u have to have a good dealer local right by you I drove over 2 hours to get it since then there are now 3 dealers closer there a great affordable tractor no frills gets the job done I looked at new holland couldn’t afford it JD there same exact tractor 3025e was way more money n ls has better specs and LS maid the made the smaller new Holland’s for awhile along with a few more there not a new company been around for years check them iut

Have you thought of a portable winch to move the logs out to where you can access them with the vehicles you have now?
I purchased one a couple years back and find it to be very good for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a 87 Ford 1220 2wd loaded tires with chains. I drag my logs out to the feild with it. It pulls way more than I ever expected for being 20 hp ish It will drag a 24” maple 30 foot long but I need to use the brakes to steer. Because the front tires usualy aren’t on the ground. Best part is that it’s not much wider than a four wheeler and it doesn’t rip the lawn up mowing

This is before loaded tires, chains or a refreshing paint job

Attachments

• CBE49087-FE4B-4EFF-9377-6455479C255F.jpeg
    CBE49087-FE4B-4EFF-9377-6455479C255F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
Need something to wiggle in tighter areas of my woods to cut firewood. This way I do not have to cut a bunch of little roads. Will have a 3 pt hitch carrier on the back to carry equipment in and then carry blocked up wood out. Something in the 1520-1720 New Holland size. Maybe 75 cubic inch or so. No FEL needed since I have one on my Kubota M6800. Throw some model numbers at me. Also have seen JD 790.

My first tractor was a fwd Deere 750 (790 predecessor - less hp but taller rear tires). If the hitch has enough lift capacity, it should make you a great tractor assuming Deere didn’t do away with all of the mechanical controls.

Ron

Ford 1220 would work and I like the Kubota with the duals but don't need them. I have a Polaris 700 atv but not heavy enough to pull the atv trailer up the hill without spinning.

Ford 1220 would work and I like the Kubota with the duals but don't need them. I have a Polaris 700 atv but not heavy enough to pull the atv trailer up the hill without spinning.
I pull my 16’ car trailer from the feild to the house stacked about 4’ tall with the 1220. How big of a hill? Going down them with a load when you have a hard time going up them empty is a little scary.

Check out the Bransons. I had a JD 750 4wd with loader and it was a very capable machine in the woods, but just a bit small. I purchased a Century 2535 ( Branson 3510) 15 years ago and have never looked back. My rear wheel tread is 5 ft wide and it does have a loader on it.With a small logging winch the amount of wood you can drag out is amazing. I had a home made skidding frame like milkman's and while it was quite functional, the winch is in another entire realm. But you can make almost anything work if you have to. As one ages the laziness quotient tends to increase. W Jones

About as small as you can get and be 4wd - JD x728. It has 3ph, though I usually pull a small cart. Has a small grapple on the front. Build a log arch for the back. We (pup and I) operate a micro footprint firewood operation, moving 12-16 cord a year from the woods behind the house. No roads cut, just meander among the trees to the individual dead Red Oaks we harvest.

TimberTeam 1.jpg

About as small as you can get and be 4wd - JD x728. It has 3ph, though I usually pull a small cart. Has a small grapple on the front. Build a log arch for the back. We (pup and I) operate a micro footprint firewood operation, moving 12-16 cord a year from the woods behind the house. No roads cut, just meander among the trees to the individual dead Red Oaks we harvest.

View attachment 770587
It must take a while but whatever floats your boat. I only dedicate a week to get my wood cut and split and stacked but I drag logs out whenever I can because I enjoy doing it And I try to get everything out of the woods before bow season. Sometimes I just ride the tractor through the woods to get away from the warden

It must take a while but whatever floats your boat. I only dedicate a week to get my wood cut and split and stacked but I drag logs out whenever I can because I enjoy doing it And I try to get everything out of the woods before bow season. Sometimes I just ride the tractor through the woods to get away from the warden

You are right, I am not only a very low impact operation, I am not nearly as efficient as I could be. But, I take both as a prerequisite for my personal preferences. Archery season here starts mid-September - usually too hot for serious firewooding. Season goes through mid January, so once the weather cools, I might spend a couple hours on stand, then breakfast, and back out with saw, axe, cart/trailer/or arch for a couple hours, before closing the daylight back in the stand. I take it as a personal mission to ensure the local deer are acustomed to the sound of 2-cycle. And, I'd rather be in the woods than just about anywhere else - so if I were more efficient, and finished my firewood work in a month, I'd be looking for something else to do. My November thru March are spent on firewood and that is the way I like it.

And on occassion I pull a log from an inconvenient place to a place I can buck, split, and stack:

Snow makes the dragging easier, A Son helps too!

Back