Ring compressor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
image.jpg I just ordered this ring compressor thinking I’d receive the plastic set as all mine are broken.
Anyway, I know I’m not the brightest bulb on the tree but I can’t see how I’d get this thing off, unless I take the saw completely apart and slip it over the crank.

That type ring compressor was designed for 4 stroke automotive engines, still have a half dozen of them leftover from my engine building rampages during the 1970`s. Have them that are capable from 2" dia up to 5" dia gas or diesel. As long as the head is removable they work fine. How did you break the plastic ones John?

Just cut some plastic from a pepsi bottle and wrap it around the rings, then put a gear clamp on and tighten to compress rings. Once rings are in the cylinder, remove clamp and pepsi bootle.

Poor mans ring compressor.

I've used a piece of bathtub suround plastic, maybe 1/16"" thick, with a automotive/ plumbing hose clamp. worked great.

EFBF010F-418D-41FF-8E4F-E605D8A6676F.jpeg So anyway I bought a ring compressor from my Stihl dealer P/N 000 893 2600 (special order).
The saw mechanic laughed at me for buying a tool that he’d never seen nor heard of before. The dude had hands like a bunch of bananas and said he seats all rings bare fisted. I call BS. What do you wood ticks say?

Yup, on bikes anyway. I think I tried a compressor once many years ago and that damn thing just got in my way.

Surprisingly, a little lube in the ring groove (s) helps a lot.

I did a weed wacker last summer (single ring) which was probably the easiest install in recent memory. Fingers only. Ya gotta lube lightly and twist slightly, and sometimes at a very slight angle. Idk.

Yup, on bikes anyway. I think I tried a compressor once many years ago and that damn thing just got in my way.

Surprisingly, a little lube in the ring groove (s) helps a lot.

I did a weed wacker last summer (single ring) which was probably the easiest install in recent memory. Fingers only. Ya gotta lube lightly and twist slightly, and sometimes at a very slight angle. Idk.
I’ve done single ring a few times with no compressor but I can’t imagine seating a double ring piston with just bare hands.
I’m just trying hard to make this Stihl mechanic wrong and me right! Lol

View attachment 770484 So anyway I bought a ring compressor from my Stihl dealer P/N 000 893 2600 (special order).
The saw mechanic laughed at me for buying a tool that he’d never seen nor heard of before. The dude had hands like a bunch of bananas and said he seats all rings bare fisted. I call BS. What do you wood ticks say?

I've used fingers and a sharpened toothbrush handle to work rings in. Plastic toothbrush won't damage piston.

Also MUCH easier with a stable piston support. You can make a support in 10 minutes from a scrap of 1" board.

Support also makes getting 2nd circlip in MUCH easier

Attachments

• piston support.jpg
    piston support.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 17
  • one ring in cyl.jpg
    one ring in cyl.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 17
John,(Fish) just uses his fingers to compress rings in, I have done it a few times but rely on my set of ring compressor tools for the most part if I have them with me.
Fish once told me he compresses rings with his lips, but lubes them up first.
Jerry, you’re just a troublemaker!
John has a good sense of humour.

I angle the cylinder 180 degrees from the ring gaps and very carefully walk the cylinder on with pushing the ring into the groove one side at a time. It works.
I have the plastic ring compressor somewhere, new.

Back