555 or 562XP Yes, I'm sorry, another one...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Saw For My Usage

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpNort

Didn't realize I need 5 chainsaws!!
Reaction score
555 Or 562XP

Yes, I know this one is a dead horse but I have a few questions. I currently have a 435, which I pretty much destroyed cutting 9 cords of oak with. That was my first saw and I learned a lot of things, especially what not to do. I bought that saw knowing this and now I ready to make a real purchase.

My usage will be primarily firewood, probably 90% of the time. I split between 3-5 cords but that could increase as I just started using a wood insert last year and don't know for sure how much firewood I will go through each year. My biggest problem is, I am wrong handed. Left hand on the trigger, right hand on the handle. I am newer at this and thinking about teaching myself to hold it the other way.

I went into a dealership and was looking at the saws. I asked the salesman about the heat/baffles issue. He showed me that additional baffles have been added to create some separation. He said he was just at the big meet up put on every year in Wisconsin by Husqvarna. This is when they showed him the improvements. He wasn't sure about the air filter situation.

My question is, did they update this yet or did the salesperson not understand what I was asking? The heat issue and the filter?

Also, the 562 is only $50 more than the 555. I know a lot of people like the 555 for splitting wood. I have mostly read that in posts dated back 2-6 years ago but I think things have changed since then. I was leaning towards the 555 but when I realized the price difference was only $50 it made me second guess and heavily consider the 562.

I have my wood cut for this year, should I wait until next summer and see if improvements are made?

Since the 555 and 562 are built in a similar way. Does the 555 have the same issues (heat & filter) as the 562?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!!

Those 562 issues are old news. 562's have went through the AT growing pains. 572's have best filtration out there, period. I would grab the 562, but than again I own a 550xp, older model 562 (have owned a 2017, sold it) and 572xp and a 372oe.

Yes I passed it on for what I had in it when I finished building mine. I was telling Brett the other day it's the one I enjoy using the most out of all of them at the moment.
They are hard to beat, unless you just enjoy whining about a saw. A lot of good saws out there, more about keeping a sharp chain IMO (which is not much). That 435 will be sitting on the shelf.

My biggest problem is, I am wrong handed. Left hand on the trigger, right hand on the handle. I am newer at this and thinking about teaching myself to hold it the other way.

Being a south paw myself the only thing I can recommend is to fix this problem NOW while you are still alive! Chainsaws are ONLY made for right handed operation. All you have to do is to visualize the kickback arc. If the saw is operated right handed the kickback arc is over your right shoulder where it is likely to do minimal or no damage. On the other hand, holding the saw left handed puts the kickback zone where? - Right between the eyes! Your choice... Your life!

PS, it sounds like you have plenty of time to decide.

If I were you I would be keeping my eyes peeled for a pristine older saw, like from the 90's or early 2000's. Before "green" took over.

359, 372OE, 266, 268, 272, 262, etc. There's a bunch of good Stihls and Dolmars to watch for too.

There IS a reason those models are sought after. Finding a nice one takes a little looking, but is worthwhile, imo.

Or else just bail and buy an Echo CS590. Nothing fancy. Just a workmanlike saw. No "wow" factor whatsoever, but a reasonable pleasure to run. Or better yet get the 620 if money isn't critical.

My choice would be the 562, I already own one that I bought new, it’s a great saw, the hot running issue is not much of an issue once you understand it, if your working it really hard just do a few minutes of easy cutting before you shut it off and there will be absolutely no issues.
Love the on off switch
Love the gas gauge
It’s very smooth
The air filter is very easy
The chain tensioner is nice and easy

They are hard to beat, unless you just enjoy whining about a saw. A lot of good saws out there, more about keeping a sharp chain IMO (which is not much). That 435 will be sitting on the shelf.
ing
Im looking forward to sheelving the 435. Dont get me wrong it can be useful for small jobs, not thick oak.

What diameter wood will you be cutting?

I order semi loads of 10-12 cords. The rounds vary in size from 6" up to 18".

Being a south paw myself the only thing I can recommend is to fix this problem NOW while you are still alive! Chainsaws are ONLY made for right handed operation. All you have to do is to visualize the kickback arc. If the saw is operated right handed the kickback arc is over your right shoulder where it is likely to do minimal or no damage. On the other hand, holding the saw left handed puts the kickback zone where? - Right between the eyes! Your choice... Your life!

I am glad to hear from another southpaw. Your points are very good and glad it has been said, thank you!! I am ambidextrous (write left hand, throw right, kick left. Handgun right and long arm left hand, yep I know that's wrong too...) so I should be able to fix this now. With the smaller saw it was no problem but moving up in size its a good idea, not correct that, mandatory!!

I have both a 555 and a 562xpw the only difference you can tell besides having the wrap is the bar mount the 555 is the small mount vs the large mount of the 562. That said I’m not easy on saws using them for timber falling like the 562 and the 555 is a landing saw neither has let us down in the last few years of use.
74a944284f6d72beb583c33a18d65c18.jpg
0e8ecfabf75d76c5001392d2428c1fcb.jpg

This is how mine was broke in running a 32.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 550 Mk ll is a remarkable little saw!!

I know, I really like the lighter weight, it actually might be my third purchase after I sell the 435. I was thinking today after I posted this, maybe a ported 550 would be a good!?!?

My choice would be the 562, I already own one that I bought new, it’s a great saw, the hot running issue is not much of an issue once you understand it, if your working it really hard just do a few minutes of easy cutting before you shut it off and there will be absolutely no issues.
Love the on off switch
Love the gas gauge
It’s very smooth
The air filter is very easy
The chain tensioner is nice and easy

I appreciate the information/advice. Don't ride it hard and hang it up wet... basically.

I have both a 555 and a 562xpw the only difference you can tell besides having the wrap is the bar mount the 555 is the small mount vs the large mount of the 562. That said I’m not easy on saws using them for timber falling like the 562 and the 555 is a landing saw neither has let us down in the last few years of use.
This is how mine was broke in running a 32.

Very cool! I miss Oregon, lived there for a couple of years. Big timber for sure!! Is there a preference for those who do primarily firewood cutting with having a small or large mount saw?

Very cool! I miss Oregon, lived there for a couple of years. Big timber for sure!! Is there a preference for those who do primarily firewood cutting with having a small or large mount saw?
Except for personal preference, No.

Except for personal preference, No.

It’s going to depend on bar length, to get up to a 32 you need a large if you don’t then a small can go up to a 28.

What part of Oregon?

It’s going to depend on bar length, to get up to a 32 you need a large if you don’t then a small can go up to a 28.

What part of Oregon?

Running over a 24" bar. I would grab a larger power head, but that's personal choice.

Back