Firewood / Log splitter estimate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with Chucker. 5-6 hours should be sufficient. You can typically burn ash quicker but if you keep it off the ground no need to burn this year. I'm in MN and I don't worry about it going punky for a couple years.

Before I purchased a splitter I would rent one (22T speeco) from Saturday morning and return it Monday morning for around $60. Your pile would take us all weekend or maybe 2 weekends to finish but were only working 4 to 6hrs a day.

Go buy a fiskars x27 or any other splitting maul of your liking at any big box store. You’ll be surprised how much you can bust up fairly quick. This will reduce the rental time overall to just a few hours.

Noodling. Lay the round on it side, on the bark. Then cut from the top down.
If the round is standing on end and you cut from the top down it does not work very well.
However, if standing on end, and you cut the depth of the bar, or 4", then splitting with a wedge and maul is much easier splitting or quartering to lift onto a splitter.

Noodling. Lay the round on it side, on the bark. Then cut from the top down.
If the round is standing on end and you cut from the top down it does not work very well.
However, if standing on end, and you cut the depth of the bar, or 4", then splitting with a wedge and maul is much easier splitting or quartering to lift onto a splitter.

thanks for the advice. may try this tomorrow to see how it works.

confused by your reply. there has to be an answer. :)
do you mean it is just too hard to estimate accurately?

No, I mean that a face cord is an indeterminate unit. It's like asking how long is a rope. There is no standard for a face cord. It is a unit most likely invented by an unscrupulous firewood vendor in order to defraud the unwary. A real cord is 128 cu ft., a face cord can be anything depending on how long the wood is cut.

No, I mean that a face cord is an indeterminate unit. It's like asking how long is a rope. There is no standard for a face cord. It is a unit most likely invented by an unscrupulous firewood vendor in order to defraud the unwary. A real cord is 128 cu ft., a face cord can be anything depending on how long the wood is cut.
Face cord here 4'x8'x16". 3 of them makes a full cord. A lot of firewood sold by face cord here.

From the Michigan Department of Natural Resources

"Firewood, in non-packaged form, is sold by a measurement called a "cord" or "fraction of a cord." A "cord" is defined as 128 cubic feet when the wood is neatly stacked in a line or row. A standard or full "cord" would be 8 feet long, 4 feet wide and 4 feet high. You may also hear or see the terms 'ric' or 'face cord' or some other local measurement. These terms have no standard measurements, so be careful when purchasing wood from a buyer that uses these terms. Make sure that you know the dimensions of the pile of wood that is being sold. A 'ric' or 'face cord' is often a stack of wood that is 8' long, 4' high, and 16" - 24" wide, depending."

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79136_79237_84462---,00.html

And from Minnesota.gov

"Cords
A cord has a specific legal definition in Minnesota:
  • One cord is 128 cubic feet in four foot lengths
  • If the wood is sawed, a cord is 110 cubic feet when ranked, or 160 cubic feet when thrown loosely into a truck
  • If the wood is sawed and split, a cord is 120 cubic feet when ranked, and 175 cubic feet when thrown loosely into a truck (Minnesota Statutes, Section 239.33)
Must I buy my wood in cords?
No. You and the seller may enter into any agreement you choose, but be aware that words like truckload, face cord, rick, fireplace cord, or pile, have no legal definition. The Weights and Measures Division cannot help you in a dispute if the wood is not sold by the cubic foot, the cubic meter, or the cord."

https://mn.gov/commerce/industries/retailers/firewood.jsp

In many states it is illegal to sell firewood by any unit other than the cord (or fractions thereof) or the cubic foot.
So while it may be your understanding that a face cord is 1/3 of a cord, it is not necessarily so. Realistically, it can be anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 cord depending on cut length.

How long is a rope?

It's ash -
Grab a splitting maul and wedges for the gnarly ones or a bit of chainsaw cut to start the spit and finish it off with a maul of your choice.
Might need to stock the fridge for anticipated help.
And figure a few weekends to rest and Split and SIP refreshments and repeat.
:baaa:.
It's ash -
Grab a splitting maul and wedges for the gnarly ones or a bit of chainsaw cut to start the spit and finish it off with a maul of your choice.
I have noticed no body bothers me when I am Splitting wood..:baaa:.
I have a nice hydraulic splitter and I still have my peace and quiet.
I have noticed nobody bothers me when I am cutting and splitting wood either
It's ash -
It's ash -
No one bugs me when splitting either.
Could be that I'm 6' and 275 lbs and have a chainsaw in hand?
Could be seeing me swinging a splitting axe and maul and tossing heavy rounds around?
Maybe a little of both?....bah ha ha.
And some refreshments go without saying.

need some advice from some experienced people who cut and split their own firewood. i had 6 ash trees taken down ranging from 6-8" up to 22" in diameter. i've cut all of the wood but would like:

1. an estimate of how many face cords i will get out of this wood.
  2. how long it will take 2 people using a log splitter to split the wood (not necessarily stacking it).
reason i am asking is that i have to rent a splitter from either a big box store (for a 24 hour period but realistically will only be able to run it from about 9AM - 5PM due to village ordinance and daylight) or a rental store for the weekend. price is roughly the same.

if we could complete it in 6 -7 hours that would be best as my son (coming in from out of town for the chore) could return it. if i have to go the rental store route i would have to ask a neighbor to return it monday morning but i would rather not impose on him unless the splitting is going to require more than 6 - 7 hours (i.e. two days, the second day i would work alone).

i've attached a few pictures of the wood that has been cut.
Picture # 1: overview of all the wood
Picture # 2: Pile # 1, front view
Picture # 3: Pile # 1, side view
Picture # 4: Pile # 2, front view
Picture # 5: Pile # 2, side view

View attachment 770505 View attachment 770506 View attachment 770507 View attachment 770508 View attachment 770509

thanks!!
Nice batch of Ash rounds. Nice pics.
I'd get my seasoning/storage area ready by finding a good spot in full sun/wind first and setting down scrap pallets to lay it on.
Then rent the splitter for a weekend but start splitting some smallies with axe/maul/wedges before.
Stack on the pallets and cover the top of stacks only and use next year or year after.
Don't fall for the old wives tale of burning ash same season as cutting it.
It burns WAY more efficiently without water in it and nice and dry.
Also no chance of burning down the house from creosote build-up in the chimney.
Trust an expert when I say...Do it right, do it safe, do it perfect....and have fun.
Post some more pics too. Thanks.

How do you guys give a time estimate when you don’t even know the physical condition of the O.P..? You do know his experience level is low.

Or how small they want to split it up to. Go for the weekend and give it a try. You be tired in any event. LOL

Back