Pawn Shop Husky 545

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colt Marlington

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Sweet sweet CAD strikes again.
20191104_173244.jpg
I've been planning to move out a few saws and upgrade my BIG/small saw with something sleeker and slimmer. And thought I had my heart set on a 241.
And then this little beauty fell in my lap.

I was not familiar with the 545, but it looked nice enough. And had the feel of a slender 40cc saw, reminiscent of a luxury hot rodded version of the CS-400 with a mag case.

A quick internet search told me that it was close enough to a high end saw, and too cheap to pass up.
20191104_173557.jpg
It appears to be a low use saw with just a couple of garage dings.20191104_173456.jpg A little heavier than the 241, but more powerful. And slimmer than any 50cc saw that I've had my hands on.

Bar is 20" I think. So I'll put that away for when I need it, and probably pick up a new 16" b&c for it.

Pretty nice little saw from what I can tell.
I think I'm going to like it.

I think you will like it. I really like mine. Are you not going to share the price? What year was it built?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
The emissions tag said 2018. And I was surprised to see it also said 300 hour compliance.

Seems like a really nice saw. And I think the pawn shop had it confused with another Husqvarna saw. Because after I made the deal, I mentioned that it was a five hundred dollar saw, and they said it was much cheaper when they looked it up on the internet.
It wasn't free, but it way way less than I would've spent on a new Stihl 241CM. I wasn't for sure how good a deal it was, but figure I could justify the $230 out the door.
I think I'm going to keep it around for a long time.

The emissions tag said 2018. And I was surprised to see it also said 300 hour compliance.

Seems like a really nice saw. And I think the pawn shop had it confused with another Husqvarna saw. Because after I made the deal, I mentioned that it was a five hundred dollar saw, and they said it was much cheaper when they looked it up on the internet.
It wasn't free, but it way way less than I would've spent on a new Stihl 241CM. I wasn't for sure how good a deal it was, but figure I could justify the $230 out the door.
I think I'm going to keep it around for a long time.
That's a very good deal, especially for a 2018 that looks that good. From the pictures I think it has the air filter for wet conditions. You may want to get the filter for normal conditions.

That's a very good deal, especially for a 2018 that looks that good. From the pictures I think it has the air filter for wet conditions. You may want to get the filter for normal conditions.

OK. Thanks for the advice. But first I'm going to get a lighter bar and chain. And maybe see if I can put a thicker, more durable handlebar wrap on it.
I'm really happy with the price. And don't mind that it has a couple of tiny dings in it. As now I won't feel so bad knocking it around a bit, or cutting a few stumps with it.

If I can move out a half dozen or more saws that I don't need, I may still get the new 241(that I don't need) and just drive it on sunny days. Or maybe not.

OK. Thanks for the advice. But first I'm going to get a lighter bar and chain. And maybe see if I can put a thicker, more durable handlebar wrap on it.
I'm really happy with the price. And don't mind that it has a couple of tiny dings in it. As now I won't feel so bad knocking it around a bit, or cutting a few stumps with it.

If I can move out a half dozen or more saws that I don't need, I may still get the new 241(that I don't need) and just drive it on sunny days. Or maybe not.
The handle bar works fine for me. The tiny spikes were useless for me. I kept getting the muffler up against the wood and was afraid I would bend it so I put a bigger spike on it and like it much better. It is a great little saw. You will enjoy it, especially for the price.

The handle bar works fine for me. The tiny spikes were useless for me. I kept getting the muffler up against the wood and was afraid I would bend it so I put a bigger spike on it and like it much better. It is a great little saw. You will enjoy it, especially for the price.

Thanks for your comments. Nice to hear some positive perspective.
I did notice the spike looked like it came off a 30cc saw. I might see if I have a bigger spike from another saw that will fit.
And the rubber on the handlebar has a couple of cuts/tears in it. I'll probably just use it until it starts peeling off all over, and then put some thicker rubber on it.

:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

:muscle::muscle::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana::numberone::numberone:

I'm excited for you! (Can you tell?) :pingpong::pingpong:
Haha! Thanks!
I was pretty excited about it too. I know it's not a 550 or 261, but who cares:surprised3:
It'll still cut stuff and for the price I won't mind scuffin it up a little.

And I think another guy that was looking for a saw at the pawn shop might buy my 660EVL to cover a little more than half the cost:D

That is a sweet little saw. I have run a 550, so I know how it handles. The 550 is a screamer that will fall off the power instantly, given a chance. I betcha the 545 has a nicer power band for joe average (not so demanding - the 550 is a little frantic, really).

Thanks for your comments. Nice to hear some positive perspective.
I did notice the spike looked like it came off a 30cc saw. I might see if I have a bigger spike from another saw that will fit.
And the rubber on the handlebar has a couple of cuts/tears in it. I'll probably just use it until it starts peeling off all over, and then put some thicker rubber on it.
The spike from a 562xp will work if you file the holes out slightly. I was given a used one by a member here. I like it much better.

Nice find. Bet that is a smooth machine.

Is that the chain with funky rakers? Cut good?
It is the chain with the funky rakers, which I know nothing about. And it is 3/8.

I have a new 18" .325 chain here.
Not sure, but I think it is the Speedcut narrow kerf. I'll have to double check it. But will probably just buy a new bar and rim sprocket to match before I give it a go.
Although I had considered going with a 16" picco, to give it more of a small saw feel.

Nice find, really pleased for you, hope you put the 20 inch bar on something bigger,
I would run 13 on that saw if I had bigger saws, would be great for limbing
small stuff, a 15 if you never need smaller would sing along nicely too.
Never seen one of them in real life, looks like an outboard clutch.

And no AT to do your head in, happy times.

It seems to me that a 16" bar with 0.325 narrow kerf setup would feel fairly "small saw".

Mine came from the factory with Husqvarna's SP33G chain.
That’s a nice chain, Husky dealer beside me won’t keep it, am stuck with
he won’t keep Oregon either, if I want a chain for the new Husky I bought
he only keeps Stihl, I guess it makes sense if the new Husky comes with
a husky chain not to be promoting Oregon, but what stinks is they won’t
supply Husky chain other than what came on the saw.
And they don’t keep PS either.

Nice find, really pleased for you, hope you put the 20 inch bar on something bigger,
I would run 13 on that saw if I had bigger saws, would be great for limbing
small stuff, a 15 if you never need smaller would sing along nicely too.
Never seen one of them in real life, looks like an outboard clutch.

And no AT to do your head in, happy times.
Actually, I believe it is auto-tune.
But I didn't have to spend too much to test it out. And I'm hoping it is new enough, and that model had been around long enough, to have all the bugs worked out.
All I know for sure right now is that it starts easy when cold and seem to have good throttle response and revs freely.

Not sure I have anything else to put that bar on, unless it can be made to work in place of a D176 or a an 041.

Latest posts

Back