Retirement Chainsaw Gift Assistance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like both ideas of the 462 and 261 and could see the advantages of both and just a gut feeling I really am leaning more towards the 462 one thing simply I would be worried about the lack of power with the 261 with that being said what are some mods that y’all have done or I could do or have done to make this saw preform at its best this will probably be his last saw he will get new so I want it awesome from the time he picks it up he has mentioned larger spikes for his 044 so that with probably be a starter

Buy him a stock 462 & go cut wood. They run great out of the box once broken in. Save the $300 you'd spend in porting & buy him some chaps, 25ft of chain and some PPE, files etc. Even a clone HF grinder for $100. Nothing wrong with a good stock saw if you pick a good model, the 462 ticks that box.

I like both ideas of the 462 and 261 and could see the advantages of both and just a gut feeling I really am leaning more towards the 462 one thing simply I would be worried about the lack of power with the 261 with that being said what are some mods that y’all have done or I could do or have done to make this saw preform at its best this will probably be his last saw he will get new so I want it awesome from the time he picks it up he has mentioned larger spikes for his 044 so that with probably be a starter

An Ex-Cop ain't going to be happy with a 261 cause on paper it is equal or better, under some or most or realistic scenarios. Get REAL! Get Dirty Harry a real saw -- Get him the 462!!!

But being that this is a ms462 Magnum, the most powerful chainsaw in the world, and could cut that log in half during warm up, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, WOOD?
harryhed_2.jpg

I’m seeing a physical therapist to gain back my upper body strength. Having cancer took a lot out of me. I’m working out with dumbbells. Before I retired I worked with dumbbells but that’s another post. Lol I’m gaining strength everyday. I’m making a comeback little by little.

First I’d get him a set of dumbbells so he can workout. Exercise will ease the arthritis pain.
He needs to workout his back. Therapy helps. Get him help. He has insurance,
Next one of those easy start Stihl chain saws.

Well
An Ex-Cop ain't going to be happy with a 261 cause on paper it is equal or better, under some or most or realistic scenarios. Get REAL! Get Dirty Harry a real saw -- Get him the 462!!!

But being that this is a ms462 Magnum, the most powerful chainsaw in the world, and could cut that log in half during warm up, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, WOOD?
harryhed_2.jpg
[/QUOTE

harryhed_2.jpg
Well played brother

My Dad 67 will be retiring in July of 2020 (34yrs with the local Sheriff’s Office) he has always worked 2-3 jobs to provide for our family even worked as a logger during the day and patrol @ night and I’m very proud of him and all his accomplishments he has made and also for the man he made out of me, that being said the man can run a saw no doubt, but his Stihl 044 is a little much for his ‘ole joints’ as he says but he continues to use it but I can tell every time the next day when he has used it from his shoulder hurting from starting and that saw has mean compression to bending over and his lower back hurting with the 18” regular bar when I told him I would get him a light weight but that’s partly my fault for not getting it yet, all this being said I’m looking to get him a new saw but would like to keep close to the same specs (power, torque) but wanted to ask everyone’s opinion what to get a smaller lighter saw, with light weight bar and what could I do to “hop it up” so he wouldn’t feel as if its an inferior saw please all suggestions are great also one thing I was going to do is put a full grip “rescue saw handle” to help when the grip and ease is cranking but please feel free to comment thank you all in advance
H. Sexton

I tried the "Rescue" handle on my 044, it didn't really help and was akward, I settled on an Easy Start handle but a decompressor would be nice.
According to Stihl the 462 and 044 weigh the same. How does he feel about flippy caps?

Ya, it's pretty bad that the most modern supercool superlight 70cc superstar saw is no lighter nor more powerful than an old model. I imagine it probably has better antivibe and starts easier (only because of a little button) is all. The last 20 years of epa BS have almost got us back to even. Almost, but not quite.

Anyway..

A quick search shows the 044 at roughly 14lbs.
While the 462 weighs roughly 13lbs.

I think it’s a waste of money trading one “heavy” saw for another - 1lb saving it’s not going to make any difference to his comfort level.

Why not get him a 261 and tell him the 044 isn’t going anywhere, use the 261 when possible and pull out the 044 when it’s really needed?

I tried the "Rescue" handle on my 044, it didn't really help and was akward, I settled on an Easy Start handle but a decompressor would be nice.
According to Stihl the 462 and 044 weigh the same. How does he feel about flippy caps?
Doesn’t mind them when they seat correctly

A quick search shows the 044 at roughly 14lbs.
While the 462 weighs roughly 13lbs.

I think it’s a waste of money trading one “heavy” saw for another - 1lb saving it’s not going to make any difference to his comfort level.

Why not get him a 261 and tell him the 044 isn’t going anywhere, use the 261 when possible and pull out the 044 when it’s really needed?

I think he would just want the power on hand then instead of having to go get it or lug 3 saws around he already carry’s the 192 I gave to him several years back and uses the fire outta it

I'm not far behind your dad in age Heath. I saw almost daily through the winter. I have the 462 which is a great saw, not to bad to start and plenty of power. I just recently bought the 261 to replace my 026 for most of my cutting but it's not broke in yet but hoping it's as good. I'm thinking of the 261 for your dad which should cover most of his cutting and he stihl has the 044 to use for the bigger stuff when needed. Tell dad happy retirement. He won't know what to do with all his spare time.:laugh:

044 on paper 5.4 hp @ 13 lb. There is no lighter saw with the same power! (Exception is the new MS400 with 5,4 hp @ 12.8 lb - not available in US.)
If weight is OK, buy MS462 which has a bit more power (5.9 hp), about the same weight (13.2 lb) and is easier to start.
If he'd prefer to handle something lighter, buy MS261 (4 hp @ 10.8 lb).

Get your pops the 261c, the auto tune saw. It’s light, has plenty of power, and starts and runs so dang good. He’ll have his bigger saw if it needs it but probably rarely will. He’s only gonna get older so a smaller saw in his stable will be a great thing. I had so many people here tell me a 261 wouldn’t be enough saw for me, boy were they ever wrong. I love my 261cm!!

My dad, retired technician, turns 67 this November. He cuts all his wood with an OE 346XP. Even noodles with it. The saw is bone stock. Its probably on the 5th or 6th 18in bar. Occasionally he askes for one of my larger saws but then tells me how heavy they are. My vote in this order would be 261 (since he already has Stihl), then 346XP (good luck finding one), then the 550XP MK2.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back