Burning Pellet logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rwatrous61

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals. Does anyone burn the compacted pellets logs in thier wood burning stove? If so, are they better than wood? Last longer and cleaner burning? Just curious. New to wood burning this year and I can have heard mixed results. I can get a ton of them for 300 bucks right now. Thanks for the advice

We have some compacted sawdust logs that were left in our house by the previous owner. They're ok, but I'd rather just burn proper wood...the sawdust logs are certainly no better or cleaner - probably less dense I'd say.

When you say 'a ton', do you mean 1000kgs? If so, it's probably borderline, could be worthwhile. But then it's good to burn now vs waiting for the seasoning process if you're going to have to cut green wood yourself.

A few things to weigh up.

I got a chance to test some blocks from http://www.fiberfuel.ca/ a couple of years ago and so did some other guys on another forum .
They weren't for me because I'm burning wood in a furnace but the guys that had airtight stoves really liked them , clean , consistent burn and when they got the learning curve down pat got long burn times .
If I was running an airtight and only had access to wood from questionable sellers I'd be buying these ones by the ton and not even think of a pellet stove .
I'm not sure how others burn but these have no binders .
But since the wife won't let me put an airtight in the house , I'll scrounge my wood to feed the furnace as long as I'm able or if she goes first Lol

We have some compacted sawdust logs that were left in our house by the previous owner. They're ok, but I'd rather just burn proper wood...the sawdust logs are certainly no better or cleaner - probably less dense I'd say.

When you say 'a ton', do you mean 1000kgs? If so, it's probably borderline, could be worthwhile. But then it's good to burn now vs waiting for the seasoning process if you're going to have to cut green wood yourself.

A few things to weigh up
I got a chance to test some blocks from http://www.fiberfuel.ca/ a couple of years ago and so did some other guys on another forum .
They weren't for me because I'm burning wood in a furnace but the guys that had airtight stoves really liked them , clean , consistent burn and when they got the learning curve down pat got long burn times .
If I was running an airtight and only had access to wood from questionable sellers I'd be buying these ones by the ton and not even think of a pellet stove .
I'm not sure how others burn but these have no binders .
But since the wife won't let me put an airtight in the house , I'll scrounge my wood to feed the furnace as long as I'm able or if she goes first Lol
Don't knock pellet stoves. I have one that is fantastic.
Its a Enviro Evolution with a 40 lb hopper and puts out huge heat.
But I also have an "airtight" woodstove as you call it. It's in our downstairs walkout basement and can heat the whole house.
It's actually a high efficiency Drolet EPA HT2000 woodstove with re-burner technology and very long burn times.
It's their largest stove with a 3.5 cubic foot burn chamber (I think there's a bigger one now, but same suggested sq. footage of heating area).
It's great to have the very best of both worlds.

Don't knock pellet stoves. I have one that is fantastic.
Its a Enviro Evolution with a 40 lb hopper and puts out huge heat.
But I also have an "airtight" woodstove as you call it. It's in our downstairs walkout basement and can heat the whole house.
It's actually a high efficiency Drolet EPA HT2000 woodstove with re-burner technology and very long burn times.
It's their largest stove with a 3.5 cubic foot burn chamber (I think there's a bigger one now, but same suggested sq. footage of heating area).
It's great to have the very best of both worlds.

Back