exhaust connection sealant?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old CB

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
On my chipper there's a connection where one section of exhaust pipe has a slight leak. It wouldn't concern me except that it's a male section above and female below, allowing rain and snow melt to funnel down in. Don't want any moisture to get into the turbocharger or worse yet a cylinder. After a rain, when I start the chipper it burps a few drops of moisture.

I tried tightening the clamp, but it's tight as can be and still there's just enough gap to allow moisture in.

Seems to me I used to know of some substance that could be used to seal such a gap. Anyone?

On my chipper there's a connection where one section of exhaust pipe has a slight leak. It wouldn't concern me except that it's a male section above and female below, allowing rain and snow melt to funnel down in. Don't want any moisture to get into the turbocharger or worse yet a cylinder. After a rain, when I start the chipper it burps a few drops of moisture.

I tried tightening the clamp, but it's tight as can be and still there's just enough gap to allow moisture in.

Seems to me I used to know of some substance that could be used to seal such a gap. Anyone?
Have you tried Permatex Ultra Copper?

Have you tried Permatex Ultra Cop

I haven't tried anything. I just remember from experience years back (combines, tractors, & such) that sealing exhaust is difficult. The enormous heat differential means any substance has to expand and contract a great deal and still keep its position. Seems to me I used to use something that could work in the right circumstances.

In this instance, the joint in question leaks/faces up, so if I can force some sort of gunk down in and let it harden, gravity should hold it in place.

Permatex Ultra Cop will do this?

This exhaust connection is inside the engine housing, in a location that would be a total PIA to get to. I got a tube of Permatex, but even working with that will be difficult, as there's little room to work.

Chipper is at my current job site, and I won't try messing with it until it comes home to the shop. Probably be a week or ten days from now.

Latest posts

Back