Firewooder’s Motivation Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the wood furnace is all we heat with when it is near time to get freezeing temps I am movated.
Stack 2 weeks worth behind the furnace.
boelPwD.jpg

Couple loads fresh from the woods.
mpO0uor.jpg

England 28 3500 keeping things in the house warm.
qOYYGso.jpg

Loaded up to go fetch another bucket load.
5TqLM7A.jpg

If you don’t mind the gas bill and firewood cutting and splitting just isnt something you want to do anymore then don’t do it.

Life’s too short to spend time doing things you don’t want to do....if you don’t have to do them.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Well, after suffering a torn ACL July of last year, then reconstructive surgery in the following October - I was out of commission for months. Once my Physical Therapist cleared me for work, I was out felling trees and chopping wood with an axe, even while wearing a leg brace. By spring I chopped over a half cord by hand, nothing sawn.

Around that time I had completed my 6 months of PT in 5 months, and went immediately to work on my saw cut wood, and split and stacked 5 cords by hand before the first green shoots of the perennials started appearing.

Here's what we removed from the pile to burn this season:

2M9C4iF.jpg

Here is what I cut by hand with an axe:
lmd3KQ5.jpg

Of course, I understand that getting older means that your drive isn't going to be as strong as previous years, but I like to believe that a positive attitude, resolve, and determination have more to do with it than just physical limitations. Since my recovery I've processed more wood than ever before in a short time, am now three years ahead. All of this a$$ kicking is taking a toll because the past 6 weeks my body has been in a lot of pain, so I'm letting down the throttle.

Just go at your own pace, do what you desire to get done, and try, just try to enjoy it! :)

It got pretty close this spring for me calling it quiets on cutting and burning wood. My nine year old Garn started leaking water last Dec and I limped to the first of May. Drained it opened up and found some problems. After a couple shoulder surgery's and heart issues was thinking about going back to propane. Talked to my wood helpers they said they weren't done cutting wood yet. I couldn't do the welding repairs with my shoulder so I hired that done and it took almost three months by the time all was done and we were up and running and making domestic hot water. My motivation to get the wood cut is I spent $3,000 on repairs to get it up and going. Not buying propane this year.

Wife is out of town, I had a monthly order to fill, and I’m 10 behind. So me and the boys cut wood around naps, my day job, and tantrums. Rained 3” so I’m having to use my foul weather location. Wood is OK, but lots of old fence wire and dozer pushed wood that’s really dirty.
Cutting with a 2 and 4 year old is horrific. Took us 2 days to get this order done! Boys napping now. Need to get a couple more before wife comes home. 3 cords for bbq joint. 2’ long wood split into big chunks.
46B11071-9B83-4094-BB36-5ACEE330190A.jpeg

Wife is out of town, I had a monthly order to fill, and I’m 10 behind. So me and the boys cut wood around naps, my day job, and tantrums. Rained 3” so I’m having to use my foul weather location. Wood is OK, but lots of old fence wire and dozer pushed wood that’s really dirty.
Cutting with a 2 and 4 year old is horrific. Took us 2 days to get this order done! Boys napping now. Need to get a couple more before wife comes home. 3 cords for bbq joint. 2’ long wood split into big chunks.
View attachment 771637

I have a 2 and 5 year old I usually put the wheel barrow out there and whatever goes in it is fine lol. The 5 year old helps until he doesn't feel like it anymore and my daughter helps until she sees something more fun.

I was dragging my feet this year. 20191101_075810.jpg Then this forced me to get the saws out. Not the inspiration I hoped for but I've been most every day since.

Back