Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been very busy with lots of very tedious and very very stressful stuff but I have managed to start splitting the problem Oak from my neighbour. It's made me smile, it's split easily... When I bucked it I took the approach of noodling any ugly looking bits there and then, instead of trying to split them and later noodling what won't go. Much less frustrating and time efficient this way!

Well I am only using about a wheelbarrow of wood per day, but considering cutting a bit more before we get more snow. I re-adjusted the aquastat regulated air vent on the boiler and it seems to be burning a bit more efficiently. In addition it is not overheating in the afternoon like it used to do in warmer temps.

Anything with a name like 'aquastat' oughta' adjust itself, in my opinion.

Philbert
I should clarify. The aquastat works perfectly.....the air vent "door" needs to be fine tuned occasionally because ham handed user occasionally needs to manually turn the motor at the beginning of the year and during that process the shaft had spun due to a loose allen bolt.

Scott, got to run one at our GTG the other week. Brand new out of the box. I think a couple of others scroungers here ran it to. Just a tad more $h!t than my 462 but lighter.
I think it would cut up the Euc and peppermint like balsa.:laugh: I'm the old fart running the saw in the vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=h-OfbhX4XqM

Thanks Steve, so no real major difference when cutting wood other than a bit lighter - hardly seems worth all the fuss unless you are in need of a new saw then it might be an option. And yes it will handle any of our wood we cut here I'm sure (my 029s does so it will).:D

Been very busy with lots of very tedious and very very stressful stuff but I have managed to start splitting the problem Oak from my neighbour. It's made me smile, it's split easily... When I bucked it I took the approach of noodling any ugly looking bits there and then, instead of trying to split them and later noodling what won't go. Much less frustrating and time efficient this way!

Yep that's what I do most of the time too, anything I know that will be a PITA to split gets the chainsaw splitter put through it.:D

While down at my parents' place I had an opportunity for a little scrounge. Dad stihl rides his bike silly distances (like all day - he's only coming up to 79yo :rock:). He keeps an eye out for scroungeable wood on the side of the road then goes back later and cuts it up with this.

5th Nov 2.jpg

5th Nov 1.jpg

He bought it new when Adam was a boy. It's pretty tired and despite using it for 40+ years, he doesn't really know much about saws. Put oil in there, put fuel in there and run saw. He generally makes the chain blunter when he tries to sharpen it so he gets them ground locally. The bloke told him the chain had had it and mumbled that you can't get chain to fit the bar anymore (I told Dad that was BS) and sold him a loop of Carlton that didn't match the bar and had plenty of lateral wobble and I had to tighten it more that I normally would to get it to stay put. Made it difficult to file the chain too but I did my best (he stihl has the original file, with wooden handle). Anyway, Dad's 031AV is the first saw I ever used and I thought it was pretty good then so I bought the updated model in 2008.

Angus and trailer 003.jpg

If I had known we were going scrounging I would have brought my little saw. And my peepee eee. Lookin' classy.

5th Nov 7.jpg

Anyway, I ran the old saw and cut up a few roadside sticks.

5th Nov 3.jpg

Dad loaded the ute and we ended up with prolly half a cube or a bit less.

5th Nov 4.jpg

The maximum size was about 10 inches Dad thought it was cutting much better after the touch up I gave the chain - he reckons the saw would have struggled previously. In reality, it was stihl running and cutting like trash. While we were down there a property they owned up north sold and Dad was saying that he didn't know what to do with the money. After saying the obligatory "We can help with that", I convinced him pretty easily that he really needed a new saw. So I'm going saw shopping on his behalf :happybanana:. He doesn't know it yet but he's also buying chaps and a lid. He only cuts up little stuff so I think a 241 will do nicely.

It's a four hour drive back home and we go over the mountains on the way. There are stihl a few drifts of snow about and with the cloud and lowering sun the views were great, the pics don't do it justice.

5th Nov 5.jpg

It was also cold so the family weren't going to hang around posing for many pics.

5th Nov 8.jpg

Looks like another cold front coming through with plenty of snow in the next few days :cold: so the fire will get another run. :blob2:

I think that he might cut stuff that is a bit bigger if he has a decent saw and (particularly) chain. He has been cutting 4 inch wood because that is all the saw will do in its current state. In theory, the power output of the 241 is the same as the 031 (3.1hp) but it is 1.5kgs lighter - the 031 weighs 6.6kgs with a 13 inch bar and chain (according to the manual) which is very close to my 460! I recognise that Echo saws are perfectly good but Dad's a Stihl man and money is no object. That said, if it is difficult to find a 241, a 261 would certainly be too much. Any other suggestions welcome.

I picked up my Browning / Winchester 95 last night with the Williams peep sight installed, so I went to the range today and set a couple of targets at 100 yds to sight it in. To say that I am pleased would be a gross understatement!

For an open sight lever gun with virgin brass … I'm stoked! First two sight in shots were high and to the left, but only 5/8" apart. Then I moved the sights and shot a 3 shot group, all in my circle 1+11/16". Afterward, I moved the sight for 1" to the left and it should be good!

Now it just needs a set of sling swivels and I'll have a great hunting gun! (This thing was in my gun cabinet for 35 years w/o being shot)!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20191105_145704377_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191105_145704377_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20191105_145718010.jpg
    IMG_20191105_145718010.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
While down at my parents' place I had an opportunity for a little scrounge. Dad stihl rides his bike silly distances (like all day - he's only coming up to 79yo :rock:). He keeps an eye out for scroungeable wood on the side of the road then goes back later and cuts it up with this.

View attachment 770759

View attachment 770760

He bought it new when Adam was a boy. It's pretty tired and despite using it for 40+ years, he doesn't really know much about saws. Put oil in there, put fuel in there and run saw. He generally makes the chain blunter when he tries to sharpen it so he gets them ground locally. The bloke told him the chain had had it and mumbled that you can't get chain to fit the bar anymore (I told Dad that was BS) and sold him a loop of Carlton that didn't match the bar and had plenty of lateral wobble and I had to tighten it more that I normally would to get it to stay put. Made it difficult to file the chain too but I did my best (he stihl has the original file, with wooden handle). Anyway, Dad's 031AV is the first saw I ever used and I thought it was pretty good then so I bought the updated model in 2008.

View attachment 770767

If I had known we were going scrounging I would have brought my little saw. And my peepee eee. Lookin' classy.

View attachment 770763

Anyway, I ran the old saw and cut up a few roadside sticks.

View attachment 770761

Dad loaded the ute and we ended up with prolly half a cube or a bit less.

View attachment 770762

The maximum size was about 10 inches Dad thought it was cutting much better after the touch up I gave the chain - he reckons the saw would have struggled previously. In reality, it was stihl running and cutting like trash. While we were down there a property they owned up north sold and Dad was saying that he didn't know what to do with the money. After saying the obligatory "We can help with that", I convinced him pretty easily that he really needed a new saw. So I'm going saw shopping on his behalf :happybanana:. He doesn't know it yet but he's also buying chaps and a lid. He only cuts up little stuff so I think a 241 will do nicely.

It's a four hour drive back home and we go over the mountains on the way. There are stihl a few drifts of snow about and with the cloud and lowering sun the views were great, the pics don't do it justice.

View attachment 770764

It was also cold so the family weren't going to hang around posing for many pics.

View attachment 770765

Looks like another cold front coming through with plenty of snow in the next few days :cold: so the fire will get another run. :blob2:
I had a couple of 031's but they needed work and I was short on time so I sold them as a pair. Also had an 032 which cut really nicely.

Great pics, good looking fam.

I think that he might cut stuff that is a bit bigger if he has a decent saw and (particularly) chain. He has been cutting 4 inch wood because that is all the saw will do in its current state. In theory, the power output of the 241 is the same as the 031 (3.1hp) but it is 1.5kgs lighter - the 031 weighs 6.6kgs with a 13 inch bar and chain (according to the manual) which is very close to my 460! I recognise that Echo saws are perfectly good but Dad's a Stihl man and money is no object. That said, if it is difficult to find a 241, a 261 would certainly be too much. Any other suggestions welcome.
Sounds like the 241 is the go, and may as well support local if still available. How about contacting @bennn*e (Aussie dealer that used to post on here) and see what he can do for you/Dad? Otherwise there are heaps of good seppos on here that could help.
*ETA* and it'll be interesting if you ran the new stock 241 against Cowgirl's 241 and see what sorts of differences there are.

The best part of the story is that his old man is still doing big rides at age 79!
Saw wise maybe a top of the line Stihl battery saw and a ms362 would fit the bill.

He complains that he starts getting nauseous and will often barf after 300km :crazy2:(maybe ketosis after 12 hours ). I'd generally barf at the thought of riding 300km, in fact I'm tired enough after driving 300km. Doctor had a solution - limit rides to 290km. He racked up over 19,000km on the bike in 2015 and did the 3 Peaks back in 2012. He has got a bit slack since buying the bay cruiser last year, prolly only done 7-8000km this year.

These might as well be wall hangers. It's gun season here and as usual I'm run off my feet this time of year so not much hunting for me. There is a 870 express in there, Savage 270, Grampas Winchester 22, couple of Stevens 22 and 25 cal, grandsons 410 back packer, bunch of 22's, some pellet guns and a few antiques whatevers. The good news is that I finally found a new set of 3 point hitch arms for my L35, hopefully no more welding broken ones $800, ouch. 2 auctions sales on Saturday and one on Thursday, Christmas shopping for the wife.
20191004_175857.jpg 20191105_175630.jpg

My wife got her 1st deer this year a spike 2 yr? buck. Problem was it was with a 2008 trailblazer. Right side is banged up good, know more in the day light. Police said I could take it and tag it so I did. Not sure what meat we will get, lots of blood in the chest cavity when I cleaned it. I'll post pics tomorrow. Now to help out my shaken up wife, not hurt but shaken up.
Wood boiler is going great this year, not burning much. 14 cord or sothis year but I hope to use 7.

Back