What saw next?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henry r

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I think may have aquired a touch of the CAD.

My current first saw/first project isn't finished yet and I'm already looking for the next one.

I have a husqvarna 359, mm, base gasket delete, lightly touched ports.

Located in Australia.
Bucking gum for firewood.

Thinking 80-100cc range. 24-26" bar. The saws getting the most use by the friends i go out with, are a 660 and a 661.

Not fixed to a particular brand.

Probably something that is old enough that it might turn up second hand, needing some love, cheapish.
If it needs tweaking to bring out its best, I'll live. :D

Ok to work on, ok parts availibility and rebuildable.

Not looking to buy right now, just to keep an eye out for the right saw at a good price and build it up from there.

Suggestions on saws to avoid would be appreciated too.

Thanks.
Henry.

Well being a husky guy I can recommend such ;)

I dunno how heavy you want to go but a good very noticeable step up from your little guy is a 372. It will pull a 28 stock after broken in, if your looking used the xtorq and the older non strato are very popular and reliable.
Even if you see a used 365 special for a good price snatch that baby up cause it’s pretty much a 372 with a different set of transfer caps.
The older 2 series are very good as well, keep ur eye out as main parts are still available for them

If ur lookin stihl others will have their input I’m sure

My vote is for a ported an MM’ed 385 or 390. Light enough to run all day but great power to pull even a 32” with a full skip.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

What about the 480CD? too small/slow?

288XP?

Any of the 051 or larger that might work?

Other brands?

Thanks.

Even if you see a used 365 special for a good price snatch that baby up cause it’s pretty much a 372 with a different set of transfer caps.
365 x-torq yes, 365 special no... look it up

Well i wasn't expecting that to happen so quickly...

A 385xp came up and i jumped...

Now to arrange to go out to the woodpile once it gets here and we'll see how it compares.
385 will be a fantastic compliment to the 359! Nice find.

Only big difference between 365oe and 365 special is chain adjuster and sticker.

So are there pictures yet?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Its getting shipped about 840 miles (1350km for those using refined units ;) )

So won't be here till next week. Never fear a red and yellow saw and an orange, white and black saw followed me home today...

I have decided i am not to allowed to buy any more saws till 5 are running well enough to be used.

note: a free saw is not buying = allowed, $20 or less is close enough to free to count as free. once in a lifetime deals - (sub $100) are excluded. Swaps for junk i already have and don't want = free, swaps for beer etc are not free so aren't allowed.
No hunting for free/cheap saws, they have to find me.

I had a 40 minute drive today with nothing better to think about so defined exactly what was and wasn't allowed. I enjoy finding loopholes... my wife once said i wasn't allowed to bring home any more dead cars, but i found an awesome parts car really cheap.

I cut it in half and bought half home, stripped it and scrapped the junk before getting the other half... my wife saw the funny side! Plus was happy with how quickly it was gone so I'm still allowed to do this.

I’d suggest putting a 28” lightweight bar on it. A bar that length can cut just about any trees you’re likely to encounter, but it will also save your back when your limbing and bucking up small stuff on the ground. Shorter bars force you to bend over or kneel, while a 28”+ bar allows you to stand upright while cutting.

Back