Makita 6401/7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJD85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
HD AIR FILTER....forgive me if this has been covered but I can't seem to find an opinion on this. Anyone find any advantage or disadvantage in keeping on that filter cover that comes with the actual filter itself? I for some reason can't post a puc now unkess i pay so sry...lol

Im actually specifically talking about the EA7900. Im not shure why it came up with that title. But I know the upgraode is available for it. What I'm asking is in yhe kit there a seperate cloth like peice that goes over the filter. Do y'all use that? Or does it restrict the airflow too much? It seems a bit overkill.

That's some good info thank you. So I give it a rip with the added cover filteruHow did they measure the difference? Excuse my ignorance.

Usually you'd use a tachometer to measure RPM.
Lol... I actually knew that. I read that wrong I skipped over where he said RPM and only saw the k. My 7900 comes in at around 12,200 RPM out. I think it droppes to around 10.5-11,000 RMP in. Thats with the limited coil/no mods and the aforementioned restrictive filter. What I'm talking about is the peice on the right in the photo. when I got the saw it was already on the filter slipped over top.
327853af998e72f94712b57e7e3147e1.jpg

I'll probably just run it off and see if there is a notible increase in rpm

I think the HD filter has more restriction because of the inlet elbow on the H.D it looks like a 90 degree angle were the standard filter inlet elbow looks bigger and has a sweeping curve .= more air flow.
I pointed this out to Carl. Miller at one of the Iowa gatherings a few years ago and he said he was going to do some testing.
He is the man to ask.

I've always ran mine with the prefilter on. Never had any kind of issue, I couldn't imagine the throttle response being any better or it running any better with the prefilter off. The HD filter stays cleaner with the prefilter on (obviously). The 7900/7910 is a fantastic saw....

The outerware is just another layer of air restriction to the carb, if you don`t mind that then run it as it will keep the inner filter cleaner for a much longer period, the outerware cover can be washed and dried reused, the inner filter cannot.

My ported saws starve for air running any of the heavy duty filters so all but two I use for very dusty conditions run the regular flat type filters, they breathe so much better and if a fine steel mesh filter is available I run those, been doing so for 30 years without harm to any saw. Milling would be one condition a heavy duty filter would be required, dry dusty wood or a dusty environment as well. YMMV.

Back