Are kit saws pretty much junk, or just mine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What American made saw is still made? German and swedish made saws aren't supporting American jobs.

Not an expert here but I’ll jump in with 2 cents on the kits. I pretty much back the previous opinions regarding the kit saws. I’ve got a huztl 372xp. I guess technically it’s a 365. But I put on high top air filter and cover. If I remember right I put 52mm big bore piston in it. Put it simply that kit was $200 pretty close to all junk. I went oem seals n bearings fearful the other wouldn’t last. Oem coil because couldn’t get a spark out the China one. Recoil spring went to crap after dozen or so pulls. Oem’d that. Cord seemed inferior. OEM. I’m sure there’s more but You get the picture. Still doesn’t run. Even with all that the recoil is not recoiling to attempt to start. I set it aside n built a couple garage sale Stihls both running. Wife is real impressed with the kits too. Got over $500 in by now.

I been buying proto, Williams, Napa, Allan tools on eBay too.

I have two complete sets of inch and metric. Plus every kind of puller you can think of. I give extra tools plus tool sets to my kids too.

Ok orginal post are the kit saws worth it? I’m not sure do we have anyone running these kit bashed saws once there together?

Assembly problems?

Stihl and Echo saws have models that are made in America. Actually, all Stihl models below the 462 are made in America. Supporting American workers.

EDIT: The 201T is made in Germany as well.

We’re was the support the American worker when I lost my job in ‘83, ‘84, again in ‘85 do to cheaper import machine tools. I only worked three months a year that’s working only nine months in three years. When the money was low the Husqvarna saws and my pickup truck went to work. No buy American back then it was every man for himself those wood chips were flying. I never stopped cutting firewood even when I had a job. Year old seasoned firewood is like money in the bank.

There are folks running them. I don’t think we got any in the conversation yet. I’m not because I quit sinking money into it for now. Into it too deep for my pockets for the moment. I think if a person builds enough of them they be able to overcome the assembly hurdles better. It’s def no secret that many of the parts are substandard, don’t fit together perfectly. Paint is substandard. Holes tapped poorly. Casts are corroded n need cleaning up. Or cracks present in cast jugs. Plastics aren’t exact.
They are a PITA. I hope I can get mine going soon. I’ll get back n give my results.

many of the parts are substandard, don’t fit together perfectly. Paint is substandard. Holes tapped poorly. Casts are corroded n need cleaning up. Or cracks present in cast jugs. Plastics aren’t exact.
They are a PITA.
And here I am ******** about the saws I get being filthy. This sounds like a phucking BLAST!!:laughing:

Arrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh !

Fun if you're a sledge hammer kind of dude yes. Lots of fun, learning an all that. Value too!
If you already have an opinion of how a machinery should be... run! yeah, run baby run !!!

I am pretty sure that Chinese factories could produce original OEM quality saws - but that quality would probably be more expensive than OEM products are now.
We only get the quality we are willing to pay for. One of the reasons for the drop in quality these days.
What gets me most is the waste of potentially valuable raw materials and energy. Those resources could find better use...

Ok orginal post are the kit saws worth it? I’m not sure do we have anyone running these kit bashed saws once there together?

Assembly problems?

660 and 070 kit that I assembled using mostly the parts that came it the kit worked fine. The 660 gets used often, power wise very similar to a late 660. The 070, I put bronze thrust washers on the crank instead of the kit fiber washers, the saw works good, powers a 36” bar like 105cc should. Eventually replaced the fuel barb, it leaked a bit, on the 070 and clutch drum, not round enough, on the 660. The 660 control switch is dodgy, has not broke yet, surprisingly. The 070 is heavy, shockingly so after running the 660.

The 361 kit, I have not used much. Seems to work fine. Had an air leak between carb and boot. Much more flimsy and questionable overall. Power wise, it does okay, been so long since I used a 60cc saw that I hesitant to compare.

I forgot about the clutch washers, they are garbage, too soft. Clutches are holding up so far.

Assembly problems on the kits, it is not bolt and go. Things need to be checked out, cleaned, sanded, filed, honed, etc.. Functional, mine are.

660 and 070 kit that I assembled using mostly the parts that came it the kit worked fine. The 660 gets used often, power wise very similar to a late 660. The 070, I put bronze thrust washers on the crank instead of the kit fiber washers, the saw works good, powers a 36” bar like 105cc should. Eventually replaced the fuel barb, it leaked a bit, on the 070 and clutch drum, not round enough, on the 660. The 660 control switch is dodgy, has not broke yet, surprisingly.

The 361 kit, I have not used much. Seems to work fine. Had an air leak between carb and boot. Much more flimsy and questionable overall. Power wise, it does okay, been so long since I used a 60cc saw that I hesitant to compare.

I forgot about the clutch washers, they are garbage, too soft. Clutches are holding up so far.

Assembly problems on the kits, it is not bolt and go. Things need to be checked out, cleaned, sanded, filed, honed, etc.. Functional, mine are.

Yea, I bought a 380 kit, eventually with tools an all. What do you do when the crank is wobbling and you buy two more of the same wobbly production parts - and you know that they make a thousand series so you're not going to get an upgrade before that 10k of parts is is sold out?

Do you feel hustled or satisfied when that 1k of dollars is shoveled out the window? My 7910 was less than that.

Well, I seem to spit and curse in all of these topic threads, and I want to apologize for that. It's not my intention to disregard or ruin anyone else's fun, and I'll try to let it be in the future.

I think the idea and lots of the content in these kits are just great, and I know a lot of people have had a lot of fun with these kits making fine working saws from them.
Whot some considers legal issues regarding patent and licensing I don't consider that at all, I don't see it as my business as a private person to judge or regulate such things.

My mistake that made me this bitter grumpy emotional person was that I got obsessive to make it into something it's not, a saw comparable to an OEM saw.
I think if you don't fall in to that mind trap and rather makes the best of what it really is, and try to be satisfied with just that - then you will be happy with it, and it will be worth it.

Thanks

I totally agree. I’m not completely disgusted with mine yet. I couldn’t afford to buy a pre epa 372. Looking back maybe I shoulda just rebuilt an OEM saw. I got what I paid for a $200 “starter kit” by the time I’m done I’ll have a pretty nice unit that comes close to being OEM also this way I didn’t have to be scared putting a dremel to a $200 head. Just a $15 one. It’s just the way to go for some starting out. Whether it’s $....knowledge or both.

Back