First run with my Jonsered CS2166

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
2166.jpg

After buying and selling a few 2166's, even a 372, I finally got to fire one up and use it. I removed the baffles in the transfer covers and used an 8 pin with 73EXL084, 24" bar. This hedge has been down for 4 years, it's dry and hard. The power is fine, had some trouble starting it. I didn't tune it at all, and needs some adjustment on the low end. The EXL lost it's edge fairly quick and I felt like it wasn't grabbing as much as it should out of the box. The last piece I tried to noodle, above the saw, the chain wouldn't cut in and started to smoke. I think the slower chain speed with a 7 pin would have kept the chain sharp longer in this hard wood. It's five 1sts, Tacoma, 8 pin, 2166, EXL, and Saber. Does Saber smell like burning plastic when running? I wasn't too thrilled with the Tacoma, fiberglass bed, had to take the back seats out to make room for the saws, very squirrelly overloaded. I miss my Tundra that was solid as rock and could fold the back seat up. Any of these double cabs, it's hard to get the weight up front.

21662.jpg

Nice saw and load of wood. Bet you were all grins when making that first cut.

What is that cool looking saw? Horizontal cyl?

In my experience, the starting procedure for 72ccXT is leave the decop off, two pulls with the choke on, take the choke off, pull again. Take the choke off weather you here a pop or not. They will usually start on the third pull.

In my experience, the starting procedure for 72ccXT is leave the decop off, two pulls with the choke on, take the choke off, pull again. Take the choke off weather you here a pop or not. They will usually start on the third pull.
The decomp causes trouble? That's probably my problem cause I was using it. I'll give this a try Saturday. It was a bit aggravating since it was the hardest starting saw out of the 4.

The Homelite 150 was the first saw I worked on for my Dad. Not this one, his is long gone. They are a PITA to work on. I was too young to cut with it, so I never got to. I bought this one because it was in such good condition and I wanted to try it. It's slow and under powered for a 3/8 full chisel in hedge. I can say it's light, runs great, and starts easy. I don't' know if there's any way to soup them up, but it needs a 3/8LP set up like the Poulan S25.

The decomp causes trouble? That's probably my problem cause I was using it. I'll give this a try Saturday. It was a bit aggravating since it was the hardest starting saw out of the 4.
I found that I had issues starting the one I got from you last December and soon figured out that only two pulls with the choke on is all you need. Anymore and it will be prone to flooding and be a bear to start. I think I have my starting procedure down. Choke, two pulls, take off choke and hit the decomp and usually after the second pull it fires right up. Regular job hasn’t let me use my saws as much as I would like. So I don’t think I even have it broke in yet, 6 or 8 tanks run through it. I really like the power compared to my 2255 when I was bucking red and white oak. Thanks again dsell, appreciate the effort you put into getting that saw to me.

I found that I had issues starting the one I got from you last December and soon figured out that only two pulls with the choke on is all you need. Anymore and it will be prone to flooding and be a bear to start. I think I have my starting procedure down. Choke, two pulls, take off choke and hit the decomp and usually after the second pull it fires right up. Regular job hasn’t let me use my saws as much as I would like. So I don’t think I even have it broke in yet, 6 or 8 tanks run through it. I really like the power compared to my 2255 when I was bucking red and white oak. Thanks again dsell, appreciate the effort you put into getting that saw to me.

You're welcome. How about warm restarts? I was pulling the choke to set the high idle and then pushed it back in. I assume that's no choke. It was even being a beast on them.

You're welcome. How about warm restarts? I was pulling the choke to set the high idle and then pushed it back in. I assume that's no choke. It was even being a beast on them.
No problems with warms starts if only shut off for a bit, I just hit the decomp and usually one pull and right back to running. After sitting for 30 or 45 minutes I use my regular cold start process and fires with no problems. I haven’t run it much in cold weather below 40 degrees, might be a bit more difficult to start.

I popped my back today doing an undercut and had to quit. I messed with the low side, thought it was fat but it wasn't. It was falling on accel so I had to fatten it back up. Essentially, it's factory setting other than I turned up the idle a 1/2 turn. This saw does not like an 8 pin on this dry hedge. I was running the factory Husky 48 chain today. When I get healed up, I'm going to put the 7 pin back on. Cold start, choke, decomp, 2 pulls, choke off, started 3rd pull. I never heard a pop on the 1st 2 pulls. Warm starts, I learned to just leave it add low idle, no choke, no decomp and usually started in 2 pulls. The choke method flooded it on warm restart and took about 8 pulls to get it going. I was having a bad time pinching the blade today so I got to practice the restarts.:dumb2:

1.jpg

This cut popped my back. I had the 66 extended far in front of me and I was twisted a bit. I put a bit more pull up on the cut and "POP". Down I went, couldn't breath for a while.

back.jpg

pile.jpg

Dang! Hope your back forgives you sooner rather than later. I look forward to getting to run my 2166 more in the next couple months. Been too darned busy with other projects to work on firewood.

Dang! Hope your back forgives you sooner rather than later. I look forward to getting to run my 2166 more in the next couple months. Been too darned busy with other projects to work on firewood.

Thanks, I hope quickly so I can get back out there. It's nice not having to deal with mud.

Man that really stinks! I hope you get better and get back at it. I always choke and pull twice, I have never gotten the blurp, just take off choke and it will start. When I first got it and left it on choke for anymore pulls and it would flood and I would flood the air with swears. I learned that choke thing after checking posts here about this saw. It seems like it’s a bit of a starting pain compared to my other saws but when I have it running it’s pretty awesome! My local hardware store carries Carlton chain so I have never tried the husky chain. The rim drive 3/8 you set me up with I’ve had no issues with. Dsell I hope you get better soon.

Man that really stinks! I hope you get better and get back at it. I always choke and pull twice, I have never gotten the blurp, just take off choke and it will start. When I first got it and left it on choke for anymore pulls and it would flood and I would flood the air with swears. I learned that choke thing after checking posts here about this saw. It seems like it’s a bit of a starting pain compared to my other saws but when I have it running it’s pretty awesome! My local hardware store carries Carlton chain so I have never tried the husky chain. The rim drive 3/8 you set me up with I’ve had no issues with. Dsell I hope you get better soon.

Thanks and that's good advice. At least I know it defaults to being flooded. Are the air filters worth a crap on these? I already notice a trail of dust in the intake. I'm glad I finally got to run this series, but I'm wishing I would have kept my 575. Other than when the coil went out, I never had any start issues with it and had the high top filter. My Makita 6401 had start issues, but I think it pulled as well as this 2166. I need to run it with the 7 pin and maybe that will change my mind. Oregon makes the 48 Husky chain, 73Lg. Husky has started making some of their own chain but all I've personally seen is .325 pitch. I had no complaint with the 48, it was holding an edge. I ran the 50 which has Carlton chain on it, which has really held up well. I used it to clear my way to the trunk since this is a burn pile. Some people hate Carlton and I can't understand why.

Thanks and that's good advice. At least I know it defaults to being flooded. Are the air filters worth a crap on these? I already notice a trail of dust in the intake. I'm glad I finally got to run this series, but I'm wishing I would have kept my 575. Other than when the coil went out, I never had any start issues with it and had the high top filter. My Makita 6401 had start issues, but I think it pulled as well as this 2166. I need to run it with the 7 pin and maybe that will change my mind. Oregon makes the 48 Husky chain, 73Lg. Husky has started making some of their own chain but all I've personally seen is .325 pitch. I had no complaint with the 48, it was holding an edge. I ran the 50 which has Carlton chain on it, which has really held up well. I used it to clear my way to the trunk since this is a burn pile. Some people hate Carlton and I can't understand why.
When it breaks in it will pull a bit harder, they are great saws with a nice power band that get good fuel economy. I think an 8 pin with a 24 is asking a bit much in hardwood out of a stock saw that's not broke in, let alone hedge :surprised3:. I run an 8 pin with a 24 reduced weight tsumara and the exl I got from you on a ported 2166 and it does a great job as long as I let the chain do the work for me.
I have some of the new husky made chain here, haven't ran it yet, but looking forward to it. Some of the new chains they are coming out with are great. Some of the Carlton is good chain and some wasn't as good, but I haven't ran into any that was real bad myself, and it was a real good price. Funny, I remember seeing lots of the jreds with Carlton stickers on them, when I see them like that now it just looks right :).
Hope your back gets better soon bud.

Latest posts

Back