Crash course on M tronic.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I bought the mmws 441 from the classifieds. Does M tronic need any tuning at all? Like I can put my fuel in it and it’s gonna tune itself? Any do’s and donts? Can I power wash the saw when it’s dirty ? What do I need to know about it vs a normal 440?

Im not ok with high-pressure water being blasted at ANY of my saws.

Garden hose in specific area’s...sure. I do that fairly often. But I also keep that away from certain spots on the saw. Then blow it off and run it for a few minutes to cook off the water that gets in the places I can’t.

I say no power washer.

In regards to M-tronic. Obviously make sure everything is in good working order, then fuel it up and run it, it will adjust itself.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Power washing a saw isn't necessary nor would I personally advise it. Regardless of Mtronic or not.

I would go ahead and just re-set the Mtronic and let it calibrate to your locale, fuel, and other variables. Look up which version of M-tronic you have and read up on the reset procedure. You should be able to find the manual online, give it a read, the reset procedure should be in there as well.

Other than that, just use quality fuel and mix oil and run it!

Congrat! Great saw!

Randy recommends 40:1 fuel I would not go stronger oil mix with M-tronic.

There is a reset process which you can find on the interweb.... I'l describe below as far as I know.

Basically to reset carb with an already warmed up saw:

1.Set run lever all the way down to start position ( I leave chain brake off as well ....ymmv)
2.start saw and do not blip it to lo idle.
3. let saw run for 90secs at hi idle
4. Push run lever directly to stop

5. restart saw and make 5 equal cuts

.....dah dah !

I'm not sure 5 is required which is why I separated it.
I've reset a few times over the last couple years and usually just put the saw to work.
Resetting is not required unless their is some drastic change in environment or fuel again ymmv

I’m probably going to stay with stihl 50:1, it’s just too fool proof to dump a bottle in a gallon of gas and roll. It’s been too good to me. Saws been in 40:1 so I should probably reset it. Not sure what elevation change may happen too. I’m also just running 18”, with an 8 pin rim. I’ll find out what it’s made of quick. My stock 440 In classifieds won’t pull an 18 with 8 pin in big mesquite. My modded one does good in up to 15”, that’s 95% of what I cut.

I’m probably going to stay with stihl 50:1, it’s just too fool proof to dump a bottle in a gallon of gas and roll. It’s been too good to me. Saws been in 40:1 so I should probably reset it. Not sure what elevation change may happen too. I’m also just running 18”, with an 8 pin rim. I’ll find out what it’s made of quick. My stock 440 In classifieds won’t pull an 18 with 8 pin in big mesquite. My modded one does good in up to 15”, that’s 95% of what I cut.
You could also put 4 litres in a can and add the 100 ml bottle to it for 40:1,
better to be safe than sorry.

I got in touch with randy about the oil. He got me squared away.
I’ll try not to pressure wash the new saw, but I’ve done the old ones for years and never had an issue so no need to stop. How do y’all get oil off a saw without soapy pressure water?
3 cords since this one has been washed.
BC6142D8-B9C4-4B20-96CC-CED06272C3B9.jpeg

Don't overfill your bar/chain oil reservoir first of all...if you're cap is leaking, replace the o-ring or adjust the cap so that it seals properly.

A compressor and a air nozzle blows all the junk off the saw no problem. Never felt the need to wash my saw with soap...I usually blow mine out with air once a day if I'm cutting all day.

Don't overfill your bar/chain oil reservoir first of all...if you're cap is leaking, replace the o-ring or adjust the cap so that it seals properly.

A compressor and a air nozzle blows all the junk off the saw no problem. Never felt the need to wash my saw with soap...I usually blow mine out with air once a day if I'm cutting all day.

Air compressor and rags. If it’s getting real bad or if you just like stuff nice and clean I will use zep degreaser. You can spray it on then wipe off after a couple minutes. Awesome stuff

Latest posts

Back