Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pressure is off, I'm :) . Took it with the Cross Bow using a climbing tree stand … not bad for my age!

Rack is OK, but nice body size, dressed about 140.

Attachments

• IMG_20191108_190445814.jpg
    IMG_20191108_190445814.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20191108_190435128.jpg
    IMG_20191108_190435128.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20191108_190424830.jpg
    IMG_20191108_190424830.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
Plowboy, Do NOT start talking 220 swift around my family. Everyone else I know swears by 22-250 but my Uncle here has a M77 in Swift and my BIL has a 700 in Swift

The scope is a cheap Bushnell, got it for $40

BIL texts me “guy pulled into the bar and has a bunch he’s unloading, grabbed two one for each of us, just give me $40 and it’s yours”. Said thanks bro, your the best thing my sis ever dragged home. He chuckled.

Anyone burn basswood? I have a ton of blowdowns but I also have a ton of hardwood tops maple, oak, ash, and so on where they logged behind my house. Almost 250 thousand in logs to give you a idea of amount of tops. Is it worth cutting up some of these huge 3’ plus basswood blowdowns to burn in a indoor wood stove?

Well having a crisis here, out of firewood permits..:surprised3::(. Only allowed 10 cords per household. Crazy here because the tusick moth has killed 50% of our fir trees, they say it’s worst outbreak in history. The forest service is doing nothing. Thankfully the state and private landowners are logging it. Pretty cool haven’t seen this much logging for 20 years, lots of 5 and 6 log loads, even saw some 3 log loads. Replanting right behind the logging, at least state lands will have healthy forest again.
There’s wood I can cut at moms and on our place but I sure enjoy being out in the mountains cutting a lot more. Perfect weather too, sunny 50’s during the day, 20’s at night all weekend.
Let the fire go out one day this week and this intruder showed up in the stove:surprised3:View attachment 771356 Short range whitetail, and grouse is open and short range cow elk opens Sunday so I’ll probably be doing more hunting now. Surprised these spruce grouse aren’t extinct, lol. Not zoomed in , probably could have grabbed it with my hand View attachment 771357
When I was a kid, up in the Big Creek area, we'd kill em with a stick for camp meat during hunting season. Sticks didn't make any noise:)

Anyone burn basswood? I have a ton of blowdowns but I also have a ton of hardwood tops maple, oak, ash, and so on where they logged behind my house. Almost 250 thousand in logs to give you a idea of amount of tops. Is it worth cutting up some of these huge 3’ plus basswood blowdowns to burn in a indoor wood stove?

It's mostly used in bundles they sell at the gas station around here. I always have a few logs mixed in my stacks but I don't cut it unless I have to. I'd focus my energy on the hardwood tops.

I don’t want to sound glib but unless you are freezing to death, leave the basswood in the woods. Yes it’s that bad and doesn’t smell great either. I burn a lot of aspen and even that burns significantly longer than basswood.

I hate leaving wood on the ground. So I wind up taking a bit of willow, pine, poplar etc. The lower BTU stuff I use for shoulder season and campfire wood. I usually sell a few cords of campfire wood every year. Also don't mind mixing some in with my other hardwoods.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I don’t want to sound glib but unless you are freezing to death, leave the basswood in the woods. Yes it’s that bad and doesn’t smell great either. I burn a lot of aspen and even that burns significantly longer than basswood.
That’s what I thought

Back