Old Macs and Homelites

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why do these saws have such a distinctive (and pleasing) sound?

If you open up the muffler on a smaller modern saw it just gets loud and crackly. And if you open up a larger modern saw it just sort of sounds like it did before but louder.

I could listen to a 10 series Mac or Super XL run all day.

Conservative porting and/or reed valve setup? Owned an old Pioneer 620 (no reeds) that had the low throaty sound, it had very conservative porting. My Homelite 902am has that sound as well.

Ain't no replacement for displacement.
OK, the reeds or no reeds, RPM's & porting, muffler, baffles have to do with it too, but the sound starts somewhere, in the displacement.
How that gets handled afterwards is the manufacturers choice... with EPA guidelines of course.

SVK, I saw a Super XL online for $325. That thing had better be in top notch shape or the person is too attached to sell it lol.

I like those big old homies and macs, but lately it seems everyone wants an arm and a leg for them. I see those things on the local Craigslist for over $400. I think I paid $80 for my Homelite sxl925 and $60 for my Pioneer P45, but I haven’t seen any at those kinds of prices for a while now.

I have 15 bucks each into my two running SXL’s but one has a yet to be diagnosed air leak. The other one (the frankensaw) runs awesome. Also have a $10 XL-12 that needs a little bit of work but runs well.

I see these guys asking mega bucks for ten series saws now. A few years ago you couldn’t give them away.

The Homelites seem reasonable still at least around here. People asking $150-$300 for a running Mac 10-10 that I could of bought for $30 five years ago though!!!!!

The 10-10’s I still see at somewhat reasonable prices, but anything 70cc or larger and it seems like the sellers think they’re selling a modern saw with available parts and what not.

Stihl 075/076’s seem to be the best value in a really big saw that I’m aware of. They’re not cheap, but the prices aren’t as crazy as the 070/090’s and parts are a lot more available than they are for those old Homelites or macs.

Why do these saws have such a distinctive (and pleasing) sound?

If you open up the muffler on a smaller modern saw it just gets loud and crackly. And if you open up a larger modern saw it just sort of sounds like it did before but louder.

I could listen to a 10 series Mac or Super XL run all day.

I agree. I love to hear my Pro Mac 10-10 run as well as my SXL. My Mac 610 sounds good to but not quite like the 10 series.

A lot of people complain about them being loud, I wear ear plugs when I run any of my saws and noise don’t bother me.

I had a 605 for awhile, but I never really liked it. It just seemed like a mediocre homeowner grade saw. I got it, not running, for $5. Got it running and traded it to a buddy for some fishing gear. He later gave it away. It seems everyone had a similar opinion of it.

The sxl on the other hand is a beast, it’s old and it’s ugly and I really like that saw...and it is really loud.

I got an old Homelite C71 running a couple months ago and in my excitement to get out to the log pile and try it out, I totally forgot my muffs, well the next thing you know I had run a whoe tank through and couldnt hear right for a solid hour afterwards!!! Big mistake, it actually scared me a little, it was worse than the aftermath of a rock concert.

Exhaust port size and shape has a big factor in the sound, those saws svk mentioned have huge square exhaust ports, some have round split ports at the cylinder wall.

I believe its just the build quality of the old all metal saws coming out!! Let keep the old ones going. I like them all but homelite xl 12 and jonsered 621 extra fun to run-cut with...

Back