Finally, a carburetor diaphragm that will last.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's from like 2014-2015. i recently took apart a 2017 WJ116 and it still had the old diaphragm. apparently someone found one in a new 550 though.

that's from like 2014-2015. i recently took apart a 2017 WJ116 and it still had the old diaphragm. apparently someone found one in a new 550 though.
Actually the video is new. I guess the roll out is slow. Likely people wanna keep the money flowing on repairs.

I don't doubt they started several years ago. Good stuff usually has road blocks. Manufacturing I bet took a while. The installation steps look like a no brainer.

i'm not sure how many pages back it is now but just 3 weeks ago there is a thread just like this one with the same video. pretty sure it an old thread someone bumped.

i'm not sure how many pages back it is now but just 3 weeks ago there is a thread just like this one with the same video. pretty sure it an old thread someone bumped.

There are actually several threads about these diaphragms. Past general consensus is unless Walbro can cut price (these things are mostly made for homeowner/farm grade OE where the price of components is paramount) they are going to end up with a warehouse full of the damn things. :laughing:

There are actually several threads about these diaphragms. Past general consensus is unless Walbro can cut price (these things are mostly made for homeowner/farm grade OE where the price of components is paramount) they are going to end up with a warehouse full of the damn things. :laughing:
How many carbs are replaced every year because of the labor cost in fixing a trimmer for instance. A whole bunch. Odd that there resistance to these. $20 does not seem like a lot when it's one and done.

No thread showed up when I was writing it. I did not intend to bring old useless info up. I never saw one. Video is two weeks old so it's not that old or they are just now ready to promote it

if it's $20 to "upgrade" a carb you won't see anyone buying those. if it comes in a kit for $20 maybe when someone goes to rebuild but the old diaphragms last as long as the saw is good for if you actually use it. there is still a pump diaphragm to stiff'n up which can fail to feed the metering chamber fast enough or cause hard cold starts so in my mind it's a senseless piece. they even have the piece of **** plastic zama uses on their pump side as the actual membrane for the metering side. i would give it a shot but my opinion is those engineers are wasting their time on old tech that already worked fine.

if it's $20 to "upgrade" a carb you won't see anyone buying those. if it comes in a kit for $20 maybe when someone goes to rebuild but the old diaphragms last as long as the saw is good for if you actually use it. there is still a pump diaphragm to stiff'n up which can fail to feed the metering chamber fast enough or cause hard cold starts so in my mind it's a senseless piece. they even have the piece of **** plastic zama uses on their pump side as the actual membrane for the metering side. i would give it a shot but my opinion is those engineers are wasting their time on old tech that already worked fine.
I don't own any stock in it

The factory repair kit for the carb (WT-1009) on my Echo is like $10. Should I ever need to replace it, I would just go with this one - assuming that Walbro has a kit that fits my carb (which it doesn't look like they currently do). If I'm tearing the carb down that far, I may as well spend a few $$ more to never need to do the job again. It's an extra $10. I've spent way more and gotten far less for it than the $10 difference between the "conventional" metering setup vs. this new whiz-bang spiral thing.

With that said... My Poulan (circa 2005 with its Zama carb) still has all of the original factory carb parts installed and I have had no problems with it at all.

I do run non-E fuel. Perhaps that's the secret.

The factory repair kit for the carb (WT-1009) on my Echo is like $10. Should I ever need to replace it, I would just go with this one - assuming that Walbro has a kit that fits my carb (which it doesn't look like they currently do). If I'm tearing the carb down that far, I may as well spend a few $$ more to never need to do the job again. It's an extra $10. I've spent way more and gotten far less for it than the $10 difference between the "conventional" metering setup vs. this new whiz-bang spiral thing.

With that said... My Poulan (circa 2005 with its Zama carb) still has all of the original factory carb parts installed and I have had no problems with it at all.

I do run non-E fuel. Perhaps that's the secret.
There has been some speculation that even the oem rebuild kits now contain inferior rubber. To me these really are the way to go. My 30 year old 029 is orginial. I don't use anything with ethanol. I bet we can't duplicate the quality of that material today except these spiral kits

This looks like a great upgrade! Since our chainsaw carbs are basically Walbros, how long until we start to see the kits appearing for our saws? Of course, the impulse membrane can still harden, but I think it's less susceptible that the rubber metering diaphragm.

Haven't heard of this before reading this thread. Interestingly I've worked with these type of springs at work, very clever. I do think this will be much more consistent over time compared to a hardening rubber diaphragm.

Sure enough, I see it on this 550XP IPL under AT-12 (not for AT-7A). Husqvarna diaphragm kit 582366401 from the IPL is $39.30. Ouch... it should be cents to stamp or chemical etch the spring plate!
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...arna/chain-saws/550-xp-xpg/carburetor-details

I can't find the Walbro part number to see if it costs less because AT-12 is not listed on the Walbro spiral tool page.

Got one on my little echo cs-306 it uses a WT-589 walbro the kit was around $21 from my dealer but still i don't have to worry about the metering diaphragm becoming destroyed.
There is no ethanol free here so i have no choice.

Got one on my little echo cs-306 it uses a WT-589 walbro the kit was around $21 from my dealer but still i don't have to worry about the metering diaphragm becoming destroyed.
There is no ethanol free here so i have no choice.
There are about 4 towns within 4 miles of sunfish. I drive 17 miles at least just to buy anything. 4 miles not much. Try these folks
LeitchfieldMARATHON
Key Oil Co270-259-3529207 Marion St

Back