Chain Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morgaj1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, which brand/model of chain grinder do most dealers use? I have a Northern tool chain grinder that I use on very rough chains, but can never get it as sharp as the dealer does. I am now learning to file.

every one is going to lagth at me, i use the HF, it dose what i need it to do. one i have homeowners/semi friends that bring me chains that are rocked to hell one guy rocked five chains in three hours i told him the way he cuts he needs a carbide chain..

We've got a few old Stihl manual grinders at my shop as well as a few auto grinders, can't remember who makes them at the moment. I'm trying to find another manual grinder but I'm not impressed with whats currently on the market. Those old Stihl grinders have been used almost daily for decades and they just keep going.

I run the Oregon 620. Like all machines, there is no magic, but a learning curve. Don't give up on yours - just keep practising. However, nothing comes close to a good hand-filed chain! Once you've mastered that, your grinder will become a dust collector. You'll use it occasionally to fix up a rocked chain, or touch up a chain for a friend. But hand filing is a fantastic skill to have in the bush!

We've got a few old Stihl manual grinders at my shop as well as a few auto grinders, can't remember who makes them at the moment. I'm trying to find another manual grinder but I'm not impressed with whats currently on the market. Those old Stihl grinders have been used almost daily for decades and they just keep going.
Hi @ballisticdoughnut , could you put up a picture of one
of those old Stihl grinders, would just like to compare the new
with the old, am tired paying 5 euro a time for short loops and
looking into buying a grinder, finding it difficult to justify the
expense as they seem dear enough.

I run the Oregon 620. Like all machines, there is no magic, but a learning curve. Don't give up on yours - just keep practising. However, nothing comes close to a good hand-filed chain! Once you've mastered that, your grinder will become a dust collector. You'll use it occasionally to fix up a rocked chain, or touch up a chain for a friend. But hand filing is a fantastic skill to have in the bush!
If my eyes were like they used to be, I would agree.
It should be easier to dial in a grinder than to not properly
see the cutter, squinting and throwing shapes at the cutter can’t compete
with a grinder.

Thanks, looking at the super joly, seems identical to the Oregon but is considerably cheaper.
That will work great.
Get a CBN wheel from Diamond Wheels? Don’t remember the exact name. I’ll go look.
And keep the CBN wheel clean!!!!!!
(I’m an old Tool Grinder and I’m fussy about grinding and chains.)

That will work great.
Get a CBN wheel from Diamond Wheels? Don’t remember the exact name. I’ll go look.
And keep the CBN wheel clean!!!!!!
(I’m an old Tool Grinder and I’m fussy about grinding and chains.)
Thanks @Stihl 041S , am in Ireland, don’t yet know of a source for the
wheel you mention, I gather it will be harder and run cooler.
Not quite happy with the hydraulic clamp on the jolly for personal use,
low volume sharpening, seems like another thing to give bother, and
I doubt backup will be outstanding here.

Thanks @Stihl 041S , am in Ireland, don’t yet know of a source for the
wheel you mention, I gather it will be harder and run cooler.
Not quite happy with the hydraulic clamp on the jolly for personal use,
low volume sharpening, seems like another thing to give bother, and
I doubt backup will be outstanding here.
With the CBN wheel there is no dressing the radius.
It stays round.
If you need help finding one let me know.
Get a good CBN wheel...... gettng the bargain ones will cost you more in frustration

7925F07F-6218-450C-A874-A1BA6EEE0B64.jpeg A5C8000A-C71A-4815-825B-40CBB0D277BF.jpeg
Hi @ballisticdoughnut , could you put up a picture of one
of those old Stihl grinders, would just like to compare the new
with the old, am tired paying 5 euro a time for short loops and
looking into buying a grinder, finding it difficult to justify the
expense as they seem dear enough.

Couple pics of our old faithful Stihl chain grinders.

Latest posts

Back