Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone burn basswood? I have a ton of blowdowns but I also have a ton of hardwood tops maple, oak, ash, and so on where they logged behind my house. Almost 250 thousand in logs to give you a idea of amount of tops. Is it worth cutting up some of these huge 3’ plus basswood blowdowns to burn in a indoor wood stove?
Dont be a firewood snob. I have kept warm many a winters burning basswood. Sure You need more but add in the hardwood tops and your laughing, besides your outside running your saws.

IMO, dead Ash is the most dangerous tree to fall. You just never know if it is solid or gone, you can just touch it with the saw and it will fall, no hinge at all!

That what i was going to say. I do not like cutting trees that have been dead standing to long. Just to dangerous. if I cannot find something on the ground I TRY wait until late fall or winter to cut it down living trees when there is much less water (and sap) in the tree. I’ll just try to get the tree trees that produce the least Sap in the middle of the summer.

I have a huge cherry at the edge of my woods that will be probably 4+ truck loads (2 cords possibly) The bottom portion of the tree is diseased and dying starting to show ants. Going to wait till it’s really cold out so when it falls in my yard it doesn’t sink in the mud. But I am a little nervous about cutting it down.

Has two trunks and they splits about 4 feet from the ground. Still deciding on if I should try to cut them down individually (a bit high)or take them together below the split.

Regardless the moral of my story is dead trees are dangerous.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Just watch those standing dead ash. They rot from the bottom up pretty quick once they die. Lose a lot of BTU'S in the bottom once they go bad.

IMO, dead Ash is the most dangerous tree to fall. You just never know if it is solid or gone, you can just touch it with the saw and it will fall, no hinge at all!
I'm pretty much at the epicenter of the EAB outbreak so these trees have been dead for 15 years. Most of them are in low areas of the property so they generally rot off at the roots and fall over. Often the first 6 or 8 feet are punky by that time but the rest of the trunk is still good (most of the branches are long gone.) That's why I let nature take it's course with them. They are a lot safer to cut on the ground! :D

Anyone burn basswood? I have a ton of blowdowns but I also have a ton of hardwood tops maple, oak, ash, and so on where they logged behind my house. Almost 250 thousand in logs to give you a idea of amount of tops. Is it worth cutting up some of these huge 3’ plus basswood blowdowns to burn in a indoor wood stove?

Check this website out. Any carver groups in your area? https://www.stockade.ca/Basswood-Items_c_1823.html

Almost 600 acres everything they cut was 24” plus. Very little wind where they cut also so very tall straight trees. Only time it gets wind is out of the north east
Figured it was a large amount :surprised3:, 250k ain't no small block.
As I was saying before I'd find someone to buy those tops, probably multiple someones lol.
And I wouldn't touch a single stick of the basswood for firewood. It's one of those can't be tripping over dollars to pick up dimes kinda things, but if you have all the time in the world and need something to do :laugh:.
I loaded another cord today and got it delivered and stacked, the piles getting small, I'm gonna need you to drop some tops off over here :D.
Reverse scrounging lol.
Looks real small in this picture, that's a 20' trailer o_O.
Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 6.57.25 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 6.58.09 PM.png

Chipper, Aluminum is the way to go!!!!
It's fine for what you're doing with it, but this particular trailer is built to light for working with.
My last aluminum trailer an aluma brand trailer was great and built much heavier. I have pictures on AS somewhere, probably in this thread with the top rails popped off the uprights and the gate broke loos from the back the third time I drove my little tractor on it. I also broke through the decking on it as it was 5/4 boards, literally deck boards :nofunny:. I replaced the 4 outside boards on the back 4'(dovetail of sorts, only an inch drop :rare2:) with 1.25" white oak boards, and had a fab shop add gussets on all the uprights both sides and top and bottom so now it's much better. Yours looks to have twice as may uprights, that's real nice, and since they didn't give us anywhere to secure loads to you also have twice as many securement points. I've considered having 3/8" flat stock welded on the outside of the uprights to make a rubrail that could also be used for securing to next to the uprights, I'd also add twice as many uprights like your trailer or just tube stock at the same points for the flat stock to be welded to.
The trailer has done a lot of work for me, but it should have been built better, it's my fault that I bought it sight unseen of an online auction site :badpc: :dumb::sucks:. It owes me nothing and it's still going and has some value so that's good, do you need another one :D.
Here's my old one with a nice little load.
I'd like another one of these, I should sell my 4x8 and get one or maybe I should keep the 4x8, I think I may have TAD:laughing:.
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 12.16.58 AM.png
Big trailer with the rail popping off on the front.
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 12.13.21 AM.png
And with the new gussets.
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 12.07.33 AM.png

I have a little single axle 5x8 but the weight rating isnt very high. I think if I just had one layer of 18" rounds on it stood up on end so they dont roll around it would be ok but most of the time if i cut enough to fill the truck first I dont have enough time or energy to fill a trailer also

That is very interesting. I have relatives not far from you (West Winfield) and they don't have any Oak in the area (other than what they planted). My cousin now has the 125 acre farm. Used to be a dairy farm, but he just rents fields. Used to have a lot of Elm, but they all died, and has a lot of Sugar Maple.

That is very interesting. I have relatives not far from you (West Winfield) and they don't have any Oak in the area (other than what they planted). My cousin now has the 125 acre farm. Used to be a dairy farm, but he just rents fields. Used to have a lot of Elm, but they all died, and has a lot of Sugar Maple.
Around me as far as hardwoods we have a lot of maple, red and white oak, ash , beech, shagbark hickory. also a lot of iron wood

Iv had good luck hunting In Areas like that in the past. It’s a pain when u shoot something and gotta drag them over all the trees though. Cut some paths through it and 9 times out of ten they will use them.
You can mow a path thru knee high grass and deer will travel it before they go thru the taller stuff. Funny animals.

Back