on road diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gauge is notoriously inaccurate. Tank holds seven gallons , give or take a little. When it reads half full you can fit just about 2 gallons in and it’ll read full.

What kind on additive do you use in your chipper if you have to use on road diesel ?I heard that you should not run on road diesel if you dont use a additive is this true ?
I hear the onroad diesel is low/ultra low sulfur and the home heating oil contains some sulfur. The benefits of sulfur was lubrication of the IP. My old ford gets one guart of atf per tank every once in a while and it makes a world of difference more than any additive I ever used including dieselclean.

I hear the onroad diesel is low/ultra low sulfur and the home heating oil contains some sulfur. The benefits of sulfur was lubrication of the IP. My old ford gets one guart of atf per tank every once in a while and it makes a world of difference more than any additive I ever used including dieselclean.

It's the same thing here, just one costs more because of road tax.

We run it in everything that doesn't have plates. New station opened in town and has a pump or have it delivered, all depending on cost.
Last 500 gals I bought was $2.58

On and Off road diesel have been the exact same thing for several years now. I just had 250gal of #2 off road delivered and the slip said #2 ULS dyed diesel, it's the same thing as #2 on road with red dye in it

Original post
What kind on additive do you use in your chipper if you have to use on road diesel ?I heard that you should not run on road diesel if you dont use a additive is this true ?
I use #2 heating for off road use and i have not had a need for any winterizing additives.
I hear one should use an occasional additive in older diesel trucks for IP lubricity due to the ultra-low surfur content.

If I understand this correctly
The EPA reduced sulfur FROM as much as 5000ppm in:
1. Over the road diesel to 15ppm
2. Non-Road diesel to 500ppm

https://www.epa.gov/diesel-fuel-standards/diesel-fuel-standards-and-rulemakings

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/heating-oil/

I am in VA as well and the local dealer, who sells off road diesel, claims his supplier does not have the storage capacity for a limited use fuel.

Holtzman is his supplier...from their website, dyed ultra-low sulfur diesel for off highway use.

On or off road diesel, it’s the same fuel, off road just has red dye in it. They don’t make different fuel for on road or off road, not enough demand for off road fuel. The manufacturing cost would be astronomical to make different fuels. Then there is the engine manufactures that share on road and off road installs, how are they going to know the difference where the engine is going to be installed? It’s all the same fuel!

The problem is with using on road in off road motors .

Motors have cords and don't require diesel or any fuel at point of use, just an electrical outlet. Internal combustion engines require fuel of some sort. LOL

It is also my understanding that the only difference in Highly taxed road fuel and red off road fuel/home heating oil, is the dye to designate that it is from a non taxed pump. The sulfur content is the same, almost non existent. If you are running a fairly modern chipper on that has an engine that was built during or since the introduction of the low sulfur fuel it should be fine no matter what color the fuel is.

Add Power server or one of the other snake oils to the fuel if it lets you sleep better with either, the taxed fuel or dyed home heating oil/off road diesel. We add power server to our farm fuel tanks and an outside fuel oil tank that is used to supply an oil fired water heater on the farm for the purpose of avoiding jelled fuel in cold temps.

Ken

On road fuels now days are less than 4ppm of Sulphur. Heating oils are not that low yet to my knowledge. If your running a tier4 or tier4interum engine you must use 4ppm of Sulphur fuel. Be very cautious when determining what you want to buy. Engine components are far more expensive than saving 50-65 cents per gallon as high Sulphur fuels will have detrimental effects on Tier 4 as mentioned. As also noted I've also seen several Cummins pop push rods on a run away at start up with fuel filters filled with auto trans fluids or hyd oils. Not recommended for sure!!

On road fuels now days are less than 4ppm of Sulphur. Heating oils are not that low yet to my knowledge. If your running a tier4 or tier4interum engine you must use 4ppm of Sulphur fuel. Be very cautious when determining what you want to buy. Engine components are far more expensive than saving 50-65 cents per gallon as high Sulphur fuels will have detrimental effects on Tier 4 as mentioned. As also noted I've also seen several Cummins pop push rods on a run away at start up with fuel filters filled with auto trans fluids or hyd oils. Not recommended for sure!!
Heating oils are different, on road and off road diesel are the same fuel as far as sulfur ppm, the difference is the tax and red dye.

Back