Anybody use semi chisel anymore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For decades I thought 3/8" full chisel was the only chain to buy. In recent years we've switched over to Oregon semi-chisel DPX chain on most of my saws as it just stays sharp longer especially if any of the wood is dirty or skidded to a landing, etc.

There still isn't a cure for dirt imbedded in the bark and why I have a hatchet on my belt. I few extra seconds clearing the bark where I'm going to make my cut if/when it's compacted with dirt just makes things go better all the way around no matter what chain you are using. We actually try to avoid that scenario as much as possible and much prefer to cut top left over from logging operations in place rather than skid them to a central location. It just makes for a more productive outing all the way around vs getting lessons in how hard even a little bit of dirt can be on a freshly sharpened chain.

I've tried other types and brands of chain and keep coming back to Oregon. Stihl chain is decent, but you will run into loops that require sharpening before you use it or it just doesn't cut to full potential. Pretty much standard procedure here is that I hand sharpen chain before the first use and lower the rakers to custom settings based on which saw it's being used on.

I noticed Buckin Billy Ray has a distinct dislike for off the real chain and also prefers hand sharpening to his own specs. I completely agree with his assessment on that topic.....FWIW.....Cliff

PS: As far as rivets and failing/issues in that area.....I wouldn't touch any offshore imported chain with a ten foot pole. Have had a few brief and extremely NEGATIVE experiences with that JUNK, and it is to be avoided......IMHO.....

This is a good thread. I spend obscene amounts of time sharpening full chisel, and struggling to get the performance I want out of it to have it get galled up bad enough to take several sharpenings to get it back to optimal.

If I had been running semi years ago, I'd probably have not learned to sharpen as well as I have, but my OCD to maintain full chisel is exhausting especially in the field. Makes me want to break out some semi-chisel loops to see how it performs

With the larger powerheads the full chisel and semi chisel aren’t too far behind each other.
This is a good thread. I spend obscene amounts of time sharpening full chisel, and struggling to get the performance I want out of it to have it get galled up bad enough to take several sharpenings to get it back to optimal.

If I had been running semi years ago, I'd probably have not learned to sharpen as well as I have, but my OCD to maintain full chisel is exhausting especially in the field. Makes me want to break out some semi-chisel loops to see how it performs

When brand new I file in the gullet right away then it has chip exhaust clearance. Oregon chain which I used mostly in the past aren’t sharpened correctly when new.
File open that gullet. Use a file n guide for the top cutting edge.

So got my loops today so will be trying it out tomorrow. I picked up a loop for the guys saw I’ve been using too looks like good stuff. Have you ever seen a finger like that on a millennial lol

Attachments

• A9D4CCBD-39CE-4DB4-B59E-575208AEB25B.jpeg
    A9D4CCBD-39CE-4DB4-B59E-575208AEB25B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • 92F19665-3D10-4C6B-B19D-FED6BA7F8E14.jpeg
    92F19665-3D10-4C6B-B19D-FED6BA7F8E14.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
Well I looked at it. But that carbide stuff is expensive and if you do have to sharpen it you need a grinder so just have to make do for now. The semi chisel seemed better. Only thing was is they didn’t have it in skip so any time saved was eaten up sharping extra teeth oh well lol

At one of our MN GTG events, I recall a guy with an off-the-shelf Jonsered, complete with semi-chisel, low-kickback chain, decidedly winning a few cant races against someone's 'special' saw and chain, due to smooth technique.

Philbert

That right there is why you won’t see me in a chainsaw race. Ron

Back