Help choosing a used Husky... Pro Saw on a Rookie Budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsnake

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy,

I live on a farm where I am the point guy for woodcutting, and we heat 4 households with wood, I'm guessing we go through 8-10 cords of wood a year. I currently have a Husky 336, a completely awesome small saw I use for limbing and medium work, an amazing little saw for it's size. I also have a Jonserud 2150 with a 20" bar I use for bigger work, and it's a plenty decent saw, but I have had a string of issues with it and I'm considering a replacement. I would love a Husky XP model of some sort, but the price is too much for me to justify. I have the option of getting a used Husky 350 for around $150, or a Jonserud CS 2245 for that or a little less. I have read that the 350 is almost an XP model. I have read the 2245 is ok. A man I know who used to run a Husky shop said a Husky 55 is a good older saw to get if you can find on in good shape. I may want to get into a saw I could run 3/8 chain as a mechanic at my local shop said it's more versatile for chains available for faster cutting, something about the rakers I can't recall. I'm a slighter build guy so I don't want a heavy saw, and with how incredible my 336 is I would think the lightest saw I can find with the power I want will suffice, but wanting 3/8 chain may preclude that, but I could certainly go with 325 like I have been. Thoughts and advice please?

Thanks,

Peter.

Welcome to the forum Woodsnake. If you get the 350 it's basically the same saw as your 2150 but in orange. I'd look around for an older Husqvarna 61, 266 or 268, they are easy to work on, plentiful and the parts are cheap. It's going to be hard to find an xp model in the $150 range that doesn't need work.

Thanks Ronie. I would certainly be willing to pay more than $150 for an XP! I thought my 2150 was down, but it just needs a base gasket so I have some time to look. I did see a used 61 (I think that was the model?) at the local pawn shop, but it seemed pretty heavy to me. I'll check it again and keep my eye out for those models.

Thanks Ronie. I would certainly be willing to pay more than $150 for an XP! I thought my 2150 was down, but it just needs a base gasket so I have some time to look. I did see a used 61 (I think that was the model?) at the local pawn shop, but it seemed pretty heavy to me. I'll check it again and keep my eye out for those models.
They are heavy compared to your 2150. The 55 is also a good saw but I think a 20" bar is to long for a 50cc saw except for occasional use, just my opinion.

As the inheritor of a 55, I can attest that they are in fact tough. I don’t know if they’re any better than a 350 though. I would want more saw for that much bar either way. Dad ran 18” .325 on his, and I’ve left it as is. While I haven’t put much time on it since I was in my late teens, it wasn’t exactly a light saber with that setup but it held its own.

You might be able to find a used 2 series 60 cc saw (262, etc) or maybe a 359, which while not an XP saw is close. I believe a Jonsered 2159 has the same guts.

I have run a 20" bar on my 2150 for the 2 years I've had it, and I ran a 20" bar on my old model 50, and both did just fine for me. In the last 2 weeks I actually ran a 20" bar on my 336 as my 16" bar warped at the end and my 2150 was dead, and the only bar I had that would fit was the 20". I was surprised at how well it did, but I'll be going back to 16" for that little firecracker saw, although I love the reach of the 20" bar.

As suggested above the 359 or 2159 are fine saws for 20"bar 3/8 0.058 gauge chain.
But the 357 has the elusive XP sticker you are lusting after and because of a slightly different interior cylinder design, is a couple of CC's down on the 359, but is (on paper at least) said to develop higher HP.

Welcome to the site
I prefer the 266/268 but some don't like the weight
They are 60cc saw sized.
The 257 and 262 a bit lighter are excellent firewood saws
The 257 can be found for 100-200 if you look around.
Every one wants the 262 but the 257 are failrly common.
Had mine over 12 year's now.

Attachments

• 20191106_130526.jpg
    20191106_130526.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
Should be able to get a fairly decent 555 for 2-4 bills pending on condition. Good pro built husky without the XP price tag. Good smooth modern design, great all round firewooder.

If you’re in the Husqvarna camp:

Older 2-series:
254XP (54cc closed port)
55 (55cc, most are open, but a few closed port)
257 (57cc open port)
262XP (62cc closed port)

All of these can pull 3/8 chain on a 16” -18” bar.
—-
Slightly larger options:
266XP (66cc closed port)
An older design but more powerful. Can pull 3/8 chain on 20” bar with authority. Maybe 24” skip chain too.

Older 3-series
353 (53cc open port)
55 Rancher (55cc open port?)
357XP (56cc, closed port)
359 (59cc open port)

All of these can pull 3/8 chain on 18-20” bar
——
Slightly larger options:
365SP (65cc, closed port)
A larger powerhead for sure, but can be upgraded easily in the future. Can pull a 3/8 chain on a 20-24”

well ill bite.....I too can vouch for the 55....tough saw but seems like ya might be getting into more use in the 60-70 cc range. I think 261's are around and put a 262 piston in it and ya got a real runner...I just fixed a open port 268 (had a broken ring) did he min to get it running...ring carb kit fuel line crank seals. Its strong and not to bad on the weight. Cant beat the 2 series saws for ease of repair work on solid intake block less rubber stuff. I should mention that if ya get up into the 268-272 / 261 -262 stuff they have better air filtration than the earlier stuff....good luck the saw is out there for ya just have to find it...

good luck
the can

Latest posts

Back