How many modded/ported saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
how many modded/ported saws do you run/use for work.?

I realize I can’t mod/ port every saw I have but I’m thinking maybe a few of them I refresh.

1. Husqvarna 2100 cd
2. Husqvarna 1100 cd
3. Husqvarna 285 Xp
3.5 Husqvarna 480 cd (extra parts saw)
4. Husqvarna 181 se
5. Husqvarna 266 se
6. Husqvarna 162se
7. Husqvarna 240 se

One 395 is hopped up but I won’t run it on company grounds or during the summer its a good way to get a heck of a fine out here or worse loose a contract/job. Myself I quit running modded saws for most commercial use because of the reasons stated above, you should check your state fire codes for industrial lands because out here our industrial lands are under the state forestry department including all fire services.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 395 just has the screen removed and the teeth on the port bent inwards for more flow.

My 562 is bone stock and it’s hauling ass so far, I intend to keep it that way.

The 372 defenitly has some jam with the base gasket removed, pop up piston and muffler mod.

550 is the red headed bastard step child of the family, he gets no love anymore but still produces results, he is a work in progress, like most children

Ported Stihl 046 and MS660. Both are insane beasts that out a smile on my face every day they’re run. Just bought a use MS261 that I’ll run stock for a bit so I can appreciate it more when it’s ported. Then...I’m thinking a 576xp that will need some hollowing out.

None. Ever. I did have a 461 that needed a coil so I put an unlimited 046 coil on it, so maybe that counts. I defeated a limiter screw on a 461, maybe that counts. But no hopping up of any kind. Ever. Muffler screens might be cleaned but always go back in the saw.

Getting fined sucks. Getting kicked off your block sucks even more. If you’re off your block you get zero production, way less than with a stock saw. Splined carburetor adjustment tools have been my friends for getting past limiters for adjustment. When my 461s and 046 die then I won’t have to worry because my saws will be adjusting themselves and I won’t have to mess with them in that regard... Take that back-I don’t think the 395 will ever die as little as it’s used.

To all the guys who pull spark arrestors... Leave them in. Clean them if there’s a need but for the sake of your community leave them in. I’m coming up on a year since I was in Paradise and I don’t ever want to see that again. Any part of it, and that’s what you’re setting up for.

how many modded/ported saws do you run/use for work.?

I realize I can’t mod/ port every saw I have but I’m thinking maybe a few of them I refresh.

1. Husqvarna 2100 cd
2. Husqvarna 1100 cd
3. Husqvarna 285 Xp
3.5 Husqvarna 480 cd (extra parts saw)
4. Husqvarna 181 se
5. Husqvarna 266 se
6. Husqvarna 162se
7. Husqvarna 240 se

I love your lineup!

You just need a few good 300 series saws like the 372, 385, 390, 395, 3120 .....[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji41]

Out of your list the 285 is asking for porting before all others. After that i would do these 3: 266,1100,2100

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Guys , forgive the ignorance. How does a ported saw cause such a legal riff on commercial cutting sites. As long as a screen is maintained and no decibel meters are used, how is a saw "checked " for porting ? NJ has very few if any State/fed cutting lands so I have no idea what that means as well. Thanks.
PS. I like my ported saws. Whatever saws I can afford to port, I do. The others get sold off, ported ones seem to never leave for some reason.

Guys , forgive the ignorance. How does a ported saw cause such a legal riff on commercial cutting sites. As long as a screen is maintained and no decibel meters are used, how is a saw "checked " for porting ? NJ has very few if any State/fed cutting lands so I have no idea what that means as well. Thanks.
PS. I like my ported saws. Whatever saws I can afford to port, I do. The others get sold off, ported ones seem to never leave for some reason.

If any fire is started on any industrial ground your equipment will be taken as evidence for full inspection. You’d have to check your state but in OR industrial lands as include private ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have only had ported dirtbikes.

In those cases, porting was to tailor the power to intended use. Always with a strong baseline (good stock power characteristics well-jetted), the differences were subtle, but useful. Never were there mind-blowing gains, just small but meaningful improvements. Together with other mods, it was worthwhile.

Carburetor and suspension tuning is always #1 and the biggest gains are made there. Kinda like a properly tuned chain on a saw, i suppose.

My saws are stock except for my Makita, Poulan 3000, and 390XP. Those 3 have muffler mods. Have not yet ran a ported saw.

These two statements go hand in hand. Change the first and the second will follow.
Nailed it!

To me a chain saw is a tool I pick up off the shelf in the garage to do some work with, nothing more, nothing less. As long as it starts easily and the chain is sharp I am happy. Knock yourself out if that's what you like.

Back