Milling saw recommendations 390 vs 3120

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 460 magnum and the millermod 7910 Dolmar saw. Not really up to milling specs. So I am looking at either a 390xp or the 3120 . The 390 is considerably lower in price not that that matters all that much . I don't think I will be using either as a dedicated mill saw ,big investment to leave sitting around collecting dust. The 3120 has a lot more power but that comes at a price of the shear weight of the saw.

I do occasionally get some rather large 40" or more oaks mostly reds at times so would the 390 be up to the challenge. I know the 3120 would be. I already started to modify my Alaskan mill bought 10 feet of 80/20 aluminum to make the rails and a piece of stainless tubing for the support.

I don't see the 390 talked about as a milling saw very often. The 395 though certainly is a good candidate. In any case, there's no replacement for displacement.

I think a 390 is too close power wise to your 5cube 7900 to be worth it. The 3120 while great for milling won't see much other use to justify the investment. 'If' I was in your shoes I would seriously consider the heavy duty 395xp. While its displacement isn't much bigger than a 390 it has a big clutch, crank & is just a tougher beast. Great air filter, & you could use it as your big wood bucking saw. Milling is tough work, get a tough saw to do it.

The 3120 is the clear answer.
Aside from the obvios cube advantage, the 3120 has an external rather than internal clutch and bigger oiling capacity.
For milling an external clutch makes more sense as the heat from milling is more long lasting (a mill cut can run a full tank of gas out easily... that's a lot of heat).
Also the oiler on the 3120 is up to the task.
I've run a 62" bar with mine and the internal oiler almost keeps up... 36" bar is easily oiled.

Your choice should maybe be between 395xp and 3120.... 395 is not much more than 390 in cost but getting closer to 3120 in spec.
Baileys quoted me 395 for $1060 last year.

The 3120 is the clear answer.
Aside from the obvios cube advantage, the 3120 has an external rather than internal clutch and bigger oiling capacity.
For milling an external clutch makes more sense as the heat from milling is more long lasting (a mill cut can run a full tank of gas out easily... that's a lot of heat).
Also the oiler on the 3120 is up to the task.
I've run a 62" bar with mine and the internal oiler almost keeps up... 36" bar is easily oiled.

Your choice should maybe be between 395xp and 3120.... 395 is not much more than 390 in cost but getting closer to 3120 in spec.
Baileys quoted me 395 for $1050 last year.
Good price. The 3120 head is 1399$

'''Warning....Questions like that will likely bring PM'd offers to buy to you from other forum members :D
Lots of saws waiting to be sold around here!'''
I wanted to find the cost from various dealers as I just bought new in the PNW (canada) and i payed $1000US out the door from my husky dealer here in town . A 3120 at $1399 is +40% which is a pretty big cost difference.

Back