My opportunity to buy a broken ms660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmctyphoon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need some advice please.

I need help pricing an ms660 I might be able to purchase.

The good:
-Compression 170
-Runs great
-Starts easy

The bad:
-Case broken off, clutch side rear av mount (rather common)
-Missing some parts and plastics (about $80 worth of aftermarket parts)
-cracked fuel tank (doesn’t leak)
-was told saw was run over with low hours

So, I have no clue what I should offer for this saw. The dealer said to look it over and make an offer.

I don’t “need” this saw as I have a nice 394. I might keep it and sell the 394, or fix the 660 for resale. Or I might pass it by altogether, but not likely, lol.

I always appreciate your guys advice, so thank you in advance.

OEM cylinder/piston 100$
Aftermarket 50$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Saw that need that much work i don’t consider to be very valuable. JMO

I would not pay more than $400 for it.

Again

JMO

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Find out what an all OEM used 660 in your area sells for, not asking price, actually sells for. Take that number and subtract the cost of the needed OEM parts to fix that saw, then decide how much your time is worth to you.

or

What are the remaining not broken OEM parts on that saw worth to you.

Locally to me aftermarket parts provide little to zero value on a saw.

No more than $200.

You have to buy as cheap as possible or you will end up upside down in the build. Even parting it out, you will barely make any money at that price.

Parts add up fast and rebuilding with any aftermarket parts really lowers the resale value. Look for used OEM parts to finish your build.

If you need anything let me know, I have lots of 660 parts. I can definitely help you out with a used OEM tank.

Most dealer parts units I pick up for $50 or less.

I agree with you completely. I put $200 because you never know what the market is like in that person's area. I live on the west coast, lots of saws to be had for cheap. I pay between $50 and $100 per saw for 460's and 660's.

Lots of great info thank you. I was thinking around $100 before I asked the question here.

I also get most of my parts saws for $50 too. Just haven’t come across a 660 yet. Most saws I get are 60cc or under.

Tom, if I get this saw I will pm you. Thank you for your offer.

I agree $50-$100. They’re not creating value out of it sitting there. I pay $30-$50 for small saws might go to $100 for bigger saws. Might. The person turning it back into value deserves the value not the shop. They and everyone further back in its (the saws) life already valued from it.

Your gonna run across stuff you didn’t know u needed. And then your gonna get attached n give it some extra tlc’s here n there. Get it cheap.

Ya they are pretty plentiful on the west coast and by the sounds of it you almost need a parts saw with a blown top end that you can make one saw out of the 2, if the top end is good that's a plus but you are generally buying a parts saw and worth no more than about 100$ if you decide to take it on.- Guess I buy saws like that if I have more of the same, which I do, with the Idea in mind of what I can use out of it that's good.

Back