Help identify this johnsered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brkmason

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked this up over the weekend. Probably paid I bit more than I should but I wanted to add a Jonny red to the stable. It starts on the 2nd pull and runs strong. I'm know it's at least a 50cc model and I'm kinda leaning towards a 630 based on comparison pictures and the part number referenced of the top cover. Can anyone identify this from the pictures? Thanks in advance!!!!
Rob20191109_172202_HDR.jpg 20191109_172218_HDR.jpg 20191109_172233_HDR.jpg 20191110_131201.jpg

It's definitely from the time when the swedes looked at the English telephone box as the perfect design, never the less probably a better saw than many of the ones they make today I would guess.

Air filter part number, 501 77 38.

Google tells me it's a Husky part number for a 288XP.... that also appears to fit JRed 625, 630, 670.

It looks like the carb will hold the answer.
HS-237 or HS-251A, it's a 625.
HS-256A, it's a 630.
HS-230C or HS-237A, it's a 670.

625 - http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...65af549801a2448e88256b6a0002497b?OpenDocument
630 - http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...b12809ac6649623588256b6b001aca42?OpenDocument
670 - http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...143befb4304fc0be88256ca400553ebe?OpenDocument

Nice find, love the old stuff, well put together,
seems like plenty of room to work on them too.

No idea what model, Stihl took over here, then Husqvarna came along,
then Jonsered, I had a new Jonsered 2153, great saw.
We had Yellow saws when I was too young to know Mc Collough
from Partner, still some knocking around here.

Enjoy the Red.

I didn't think about the carb. Thanks so much for the info!!!

I also like the older equipment. But they tend to come with some headaches. I have an 029 that is waiting on an oiler to be delivered. My Husqvarna 50 was running strong but suddenly started running at high rpm's then bogged down and stalled. Not sure where to start on that. Hopefully this jonsered will fill the gap until I get the other two back up. Need to sharpen it up, pick up a couple extra loops and do general maintenance.

Thanks again guys

I didn't think about the carb. Thanks so much for the info!!!

I also like the older equipment. But they tend to come with some headaches. I have an 029 that is waiting on an oiler to be delivered. My Husqvarna 50 was running strong but suddenly started running at high rpm's then bogged down and stalled. Not sure where to start on that. Hopefully this jonsered will fill the gap until I get the other two back up. Need to sharpen it up, pick up a couple extra loops and do general maintenance.

Thanks again guys
Honestly, I didn't either. I started with the air filter part number, narrowed it down to the few models that use that filter, then started looking for differences between those models. The carbs were the only thing that stuck out as different.

Commonality with Husky 162, 61 & 266 makes it hard to be sure from the pics.
It looks like a 630 cylinder but if it has a carb block it could from a 162 or 266.

Also, Jonsered is not my strength. Here goes anyway.

Boot = 630 (closed ports)
Block with separate screws for carb = 162 or 266 (closed port)
Block with screws through carb and into cylinder = 61 (or 625 I think) (open port)

Chain brake is old (630) but may not be original .

It does have a block. I was confused when I saw it and thankful I didn’t have to deal with a rubber boot potentially leaking air.

Thanks everyone! I knew I came to the right place. I have been lurking for years, taking in all the good info that this site offers. I’ve recently been tasked with maintaining 50 acres of all woods with lots of fallen and standing dead ash. I need to clean that up and drop the dead for the sake of safety and use it to heat the cabin, so win win! Then move on to try manage the property for deer hunting. So I’ll most likely be asking lots of questions. Thanks again

The dead tops do scare me! If I can't get them safely they'll just have to come down on their own.

While I have everyone's attention.... the old chain brake is really loose and would best be swapped out for a newer one. With that said, does anyone know what I could use. Say a husqvarna model xxx or newer johnsered model xxx?

The dead tops do scare me! If I can't get them safely they'll just have to come down on their own.

While I have everyone's attention.... the old chain brake is really loose and would best be swapped out for a newer one. With that said, does anyone know what I could use. Say a husqvarna model xxx or newer johnsered model xxx?
Husky 272,
But the back end of the cover might need some modification to fit correctly. I’m not sure if it’s plug and play or not. But I do know that it works

The Husky tank, front handle and clutch cover have detail differences to the Jonsered version.
1. Husky clutch cover extends over the side of the front handle. Jonsered does not.
2. Bolt hole placement for side of front handle is also different.

Back