Ms 500i (are you put off?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For anyone who enjoys stripping and playing around with their saws and those who like to fix their own, are you reluctant to get a 500i with the introduction of injection engines and everything that comes with them?

I have ZERO use for the power and want of the expense that comes with a Ms 500i, but I am, like most, really intrigued. However, the fact that you can’t work on a good chunk of the saw without computers is off putting. What are your thoughts?

I’m put off Stihl full stop.

My last 4 new Stihls have all had problems and all that the dealers have done is look at me like I’m stupid.

My old Stihl saws however; 084, 066, 039, 038, 023, 200t remain the best saws I have and use daily/weekly.

...but them I’m 43 yrs old now and no longer captivated by the latest/greatest/shiniest.

I’m put off Stihl full stop.

My last 4 new Stihls have all had problems and all that the dealers have done is look at me like I’m stupid.

My old Stihl saws however; 084, 066, 039, 038, 023, 200t remain the best saws I have and use daily/weekly.

...but them I’m 43 yrs old now and no longer captivated by the latest/greatest/shiniest.
Oh no! Savage! What happened?

I don't know if with chainsaws, it would be a harsh environment for micro electronics. Probably not, so it would likely be rare that the module needs any maintenance. Most likely a rare replacement that ought to be very inexpensive.

I had problems with a garage door opener. The opener was several years old, just sitting in a box, when I bought the place. When I finally got around to installing it, it was dead. Called Genie, they sent out 2 new boards, and all I had to pay was shipping. Electronics are so apart of our society, so common, they are about zero cost to build.

My 18 month old 362c just needed a new module...£80.

Both 201ts went through 3 or 4 pull cords before they stopped fraying.

Both 201ts struggle to oil enough in English and Holm oak.

I don't know if with chainsaws, it would be a harsh environment for micro electronics. Probably not, so it would likely be rare that the module needs any maintenance. Most likely a rare replacement that ought to be very inexpensive.

I had problems with a garage door opener. The opener was several years old, just sitting in a box, when I bought the place. When I finally got around to installing it, it was dead. Called Genie, they sent out 2 new boards, and all I had to pay was shipping. Electronics are so apart of our society, so common, they are about zero cost to build.
That’s a really interesting point - lots of things now are simply screw on and plug in!

Considering that they have been running this engine in the chop saws that are used by construction crews daily, I don't think it's going to be any worse in the tree industry. Those guys put tools through hell and you don't get much worse environment than cutting concrete for 12 hours a day as far as dust/water/nasty stuff getting in the saw.

I'm not worried about it. Will there be some growing pains? Sure. I think the gains in performance and weight are worth it.

I'm not sure if I'm going to sell my 462 to get one, but I really want a 500i...

Considering that they have been running this engine in the chop saws that are used by construction crews daily, I don't think it's going to be any worse in the tree industry. Those guys put tools through hell and you don't get much worse environment than cutting concrete for 12 hours a day as far as dust/water/nasty stuff getting in the saw.

I'm not worried about it. Will there be some growing pains? Sure. I think the gains in performance and weight are worth it.

I'm not sure if I'm going to sell my 462 to get one, but I really want a 500i...

I want one too, but the 461 is, after 4 years, still almost new.

You do realize that Stihl sells all sorts of things that "OUGHT to be very inexpensive" for ridiculous prices, right? That's kinda their schtick.

Initial costs certainly bears this out. I run aftermarket bars and husky chains so that reoccurring cost is negated. Other maintenance items are to minor and of low cost that overall is down there in the signal noise level.

My 18 month old 362c just needed a new module...£80.

Both 201ts went through 3 or 4 pull cords before they stopped fraying.

Both 201ts struggle to oil enough in English and Holm oak.

This is interesting because I'm having the same issue with my 10 month old 462. The pull cord it came with is flaying already.

This is interesting because I'm having the same issue with my 10 month old 462. The pull cord it came with is flaying already.
That really is bad. It’s under warranty, may seem petty, but take it back and tell them what’s happening and that it’s catching somewhere, and ask them to show you where before fixing it or they may just replace the cord...

As mentioned above, this platform has been used in the construction trades cutting concrete for a long while. It has been proven reliable and durable in that environment, which in my opinion is much harsher than cutting wood.

Construction guys are HARD on equipment and their use of it will expose any weakness imaginable.

As mentioned above, this platform has been used in the construction trades cutting concrete for a long while. It has been proven reliable and durable in that environment, which in my opinion is much harsher than cutting wood.

Construction guys are HARD on equipment and their use of it will expose any weakness imaginable.

Yeah, but construction guys have some training. Here, and I am sure more common in the wider chainsaw user world, there are people that can't mix gas, don't know that chains need to be sharpened, and mount their chains backwards. I mean real basic stuff. A couple of months ago we had a guy here, with a poorly running saw, and all sorts of suggestions were offered, and finally the guy admitted that he had taken the muffler off. Apparently he thought that was a good idea, and had no idea it would cause problems. Stihl has to make it idiot proof, and even then there is an idiots idiot out there to find a way to make it a fault ridden saw, and who will blame the injection system.

Back